Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can anyone translate a Japanese (or Chinese) WW2 document for me

lizzieloo

Numpty extraordinaire
R.I.P.
I did BoatieBird's family tree some time ago but every now and then I check to see if any new records have been transcribed, I've just found that her great uncle was taken prisoner in Japan during WW2 and would like the camp and the place of capture translated (and anything else really), can anyone help?

She knows I'm asking here.

48741_b429144-01167.jpg

I only recognised one kanji, which said the captive was English, but I guess you knew that.
I asked the wife.
Not much information.
His occupation was a driver (unless it means his fathers occupation to mothers, all looks a bit weird)

Initially it looked a bit unfamiliar because the some characters are more Chinese than Japanese . The reason is (on looking it up) that he was captured in Singapore and taken to a camp called Shin 1 or Ho 1, can't tell which from the kanji because it could be either as it is probably a place in Singapore (or maybe China) and could even be read differently there. Almost certainly didn't go to Japan.

The document is stamped 'deceased' so I am guessing is a report sent back to the family.

I only recognised one kanji, which said the captive was English, but I guess you knew that.
I asked the wife.
Not much information.
His occupation was a driver (unless it means his fathers occupation to mothers, all looks a bit weird)

Initially it looked a bit unfamiliar because the some characters are more Chinese than Japanese . The reason is (on looking it up) that he was captured in Singapore and taken to a camp called Shin 1 or Ho 1, can't tell which from the kanji because it could be either as it is probably a place in Singapore (or maybe China) and could even be read differently there. Almost certainly didn't go to Japan.

The document is stamped 'deceased' so I am guessing is a report sent back to the family.

Thanks, I thought the characters looked Chinese, I know very little but that was something that struck me. He's in the records as having died at sea in 1944, interesting that he may have died while captured.

Thanks, I thought the characters looked Chinese, I know very little but that was something that struck me. He's in the records as having died at sea in 1944, interesting that he may have died while captured.
Well Japanese uses Chinese characters and mixes them up with Hiragana, but Singapore and Shin/ho are obviously Chinese and not Japanese. In Japanese it's read shin or ho but could be something else in Chinese. Maybe one of our boards Chinese speakers could help.

Well Japanese uses Chinese characters and mixes them up with Hiragana, but Singapore and Shin/ho are obviously Chinese and not Japanese. In Japanese it's read shin or ho but could be something else in Chinese. Maybe one of our boards Chinese speakers could help.

I can't think of any, can you tag anyone?

I asked the wife.
Not much information.

From a brief search it looks like the only camp in Singapore itself was the infamous Changi. Changi POW camp - History Learning Site

There was a camp in Manchuria/China called Hoten: Hoten Camp - Wikipedia

May or may not be of use...

Fascinating document to see.

I reckon occupation is something like 'operator'

The camp is the chinese character for 'Thailand' and seems to mean the same in Japanese. Camp no is 'Thai 1'

Place of capture is 'Shonan', a Japanese name for Singapore.

Could it be Malai 1? That would fit with Singapore

The bottom right two characters in red 死亡 siwang mean deceased. No real clue as to when/why though.

As with maomao think occupation is something like operator... In simplified characters (because I don't have traditional set up) it's 运转手yunzhuanshou... The first two characters relate to operating/working machinery, the last one just means 'hand'; person proficient at doing something (bit like 'all hands on deck' etc).

Don't get date of capture... It says that year is 17... :confused: Maybe regnal year of Hirohito?

The date is
The bottom right two characters in red 死亡 siwang mean deceased. No real clue as to when/why though.

As with maomao think occupation is something like operator... In simplified characters (because I don't have traditional set up) it's 运转手yunzhuanshou... The first two characters relate to operating/working machinery, the last one just means 'hand'; person proficient at doing something (bit like 'all hands on deck' etc).

Don't get date of capture... It says that year is 17... :confused: Maybe regnal year of Hirohito?

I found info on the date

"... Japanese date system where years are based on the reigns of emperors and designated as one of twelve animals (e.g. dragon, monkey, rooster, etc.) The months and days are based on a lunar calendar, consisting of 12 months of either 29 or 30 days, each split into a 'week' of 6 days. Japanese dates in script are always written right to left, so is read YY/MM/DD...."

The date is

I found info on the date

"... Japanese date system where years are based on the reigns of emperors and designated as one of twelve animals (e.g. dragon, monkey, rooster, etc.) The months and days are based on a lunar calendar, consisting of 12 months of either 29 or 30 days, each split into a 'week' of 6 days. Japanese dates in script are always written right to left, so is read YY/MM/DD...."

Yeah... I guess 1926 is '1'. Going by maomao's (e2a: and AS :oops: ) translation, He was obviously captured in the occupation of Singapore (Feb 1942). Presumably then transported to Thailand... I guess 泰 is just a perfunctory notation by an official saying 'look, they sent him to Thailand, now he's dead, how should I know exactly where?' (forgive me for being perfunctory, just imagine that's how it was).

The dates also line up with the opening of Ban Pong camp in Thailand; august 1942, so exactly at his registration date in the top left <obviously this is all just me googling at this point> which... er... well, it was the first camp for men from Singapore about to be transferred onto the Thai-Burma railway... Construction was ongoing, with one of the most severe periods being autumn 1943. So yeah... I guess that may well be the poor sod's fate.

Last edited:
The camp is the chinese character for 'Thailand' and seems to mean the same in Japanese. Camp no is 'Thai 1'

My wife (Japanese) was totally unfamiliar with it. Maybe it's an a kanji that was used in Japan in the past? No idea.

My wife (Japanese) was totally unfamiliar with it. Maybe it's an a kanji that was used in Japan in the past? No idea.
The number of kanji in daily use in the Japanese language was reduced after the Second World War (shinjitai simplification). You only need about 2,000 to read modern Japanese. Before this it would have been more like the 5,000+ you need to be literate in Chinese. I guess that was one of the ones they got rid of.

Yeah... I guess 1926 is '1'. Going by maomao's (e2a: and AS :oops: ) translation, He was obviously captured in the occupation of Singapore (Feb 1942). Presumably then transported to Thailand... I guess 泰 is just a perfunctory notation by an official saying 'look, they sent him to Thailand, now he's dead, how should I know exactly where?' (forgive me for being perfunctory, just imagine that's how it was).

The dates also line up with the opening of Ban Pong camp in Thailand; august 1942, so exactly at his registration date in the top left <obviously this is all just me googling at this point> which... er... well, it was the first camp for men from Singapore about to be transferred onto the Thai-Burma railway... Construction was ongoing, with one of the most severe periods being autumn 1943. So yeah... I guess that may well be the poor sod's fate.

He died in Sept 1944 according to his records so after that time, if he did work on the railway he survived that.

But that stamp, that must mean he died while he was still a prisoner. It's confusing, I wonder if POWs were listed as dying at sea for morale or something like that.

The number of kanji in daily use in the Japanese language was reduced after the Second World War (shinjitai simplification). You only need about 2,000 to read modern Japanese. Before this it would have been more like the 5,000+ you need to be literate in Chinese. I guess that was one of the ones they got rid of.
2163 for the basic stuff by the time you are 18, but there are more than 100,000. My wife reckons that the kanji for Thailand just fell out of popular use as they just call it Thai now, written in katakana (like amerika etc). Even though we are 'Ingurisu' the English kanji is still very popular, though I see it more for language rather than used for a place name, so maybe that's why.

Back
Top Bottom