Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can anyone please direct me to a site that lists London bus routes in full?

Sasaferrato

Super Refuser!
The next time I'm in London, I'll be using busses rather than the tube. I've effectively got a lung and a bit, and the long hot walks on the tube are arduous.

It may take a bit longer by bus, but time isn't an issue.

What I want to do is plot the change stops to get to where ever from Waterloo.

Going from Waterloo to Kings Cross was bus from Waterloo to Holborn Station, then another bus to Kings Cross.

I want to plot the routes from Waterloo to the National Gallery (easy), Science Museum, The Tate Gallery etc.

If you just put your start and end point into a Google search....eg postcode to postcode , it'll bring up route options. Which you can then filter down to whatever mode of transport you choose.Screenshot_20221230-165022_Google.jpg

I dunno what's gone wrong with the TFL journey planner, as others have said, it comes up with some bizarre routes.

A couple of weeks ago I put in Plaistow tube Station to Richmond tube Station and it came up with the most ridiculous route, when it's a direct route on the District line so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

There is still a Greater London Bus Map which maps every single bus route in London. It's an incredibly dense morass of bus routes but has a blown up section for central London. It also lists all the routes from Route 1 (Tottenham Court Road to Canada Water) through to Route 969 (Whitton to Roehampton). It is published by busmap.co.uk.

ETA also has the 200 or so Night Buses and Alphaber suffix buses. Costs £2 to buy.

You could post up a list of places you need to get to and we could all do one each for you?

As others have said, tfl isn't so reliable.

I'll start.

For the Kensington museums - Science, Natural History, V&A - it's the 77 from Waterloo Station towards Vauxhall, get off at Vauxhall Bus Station, change for the 360 towards the Royal Albert Hall, get off at South Kensington Museums (drops you right outside). Two buses, next to no walking involved.

You could post up a list of places you need to get to and we could all do one each for you?

As others have said, tfl isn't so reliable.

I'll start.

For the Kensington museums - Science, Natural History, V&A - it's the 77 from Waterloo Station towards Vauxhall, get off at Vauxhall Bus Station, change for the 360 towards the Royal Albert Hall, get off at South Kensington Museums (drops you right outside). Two buses, next to no walking involved.

Thank you for that.

Paging @Puddy_Tat

:)

Doesn't the 59 go from Waterloo to King's x?

not any more. it's a bit crap, as it's a journey you can't do by direct tube either.

To be fair, the TFL journey planner behaves like it's pissed these days. It gives crazy routes and ridiculous timings half the time.

the trouble is that for a lot of journeys in london, there are too many options, if you ask for a journey at (say) 1100, and the most logical journey involved a bus that went at 1059, it will come up with all sorts of options that will get you there anything up to a minute quicker than waiting for the next bus on your route.

it's usually worth checking a few earlier / later journeys if you get offered something weird, and you can get better results if you select 'least walking' or 'fewest changes'

A couple of weeks ago I put in Plaistow tube Station to Richmond tube Station and it came up with the most ridiculous route, when it's a direct route on the District line so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

was it a strike day? or one with major engineering work somewhere? with strike days, there's often an emergency timetable the day before and / or after (so that the trains all get home before the strike starts) and it's just possible there was a balls up getting the data for one of those days in to the system in time. and the richmond end of the distraught line is on network rail tracks, so will be affected by a NR signallers' strike even if underground staff aren't on strike.

The next time I'm in London, I'll be using busses rather than the tube. I've effectively got a lung and a bit, and the long hot walks on the tube are arduous.

with the aforementioned TFL journey planner, you can select what modes of transport you do / don't want so you can select bus only (or bus + DLR + tram if you're going somewhere that would work.)

Google and Citymapper (as have both been mentioned) get their data from TFL's data, so may be a little bit behind if there are changes. They do use different software for the journey planning bit, so may come up with different results.

There is a TFL Go App which I've never really had anything to do with.

TFL's public bus information is a bit crap - they stopped doing printed maps some time ago, and as toblerone3 says, the only map published is independent of TFL, mainly for the enthusiast market. Be aware that it's produced a couple of times a year, not for every single change, so may not be quite up to date.

Again independent of TFL (but pretty accurate) is London Bus Routes which lists all London bus routes in numeric order, and has the current timetable, as well as info (which can be more up to date than TFL's) on diversions etc.)

During times of day / on routes where buses are every 12 minutes or more frequent, the controllers will run the service to maintain 'an even headway' rather than run buses at exactly the times shown.

A few things which may or may not be stating the obvious -

London buses are now cash-free and have been for a few years. They take contactless cards as well as Oyster Card, and (so long as you make sure you use the same contactless card all day) there is a daily fare cap for bus + tram. There are no travelcard zones on buses, I really can't remember what the deal is on Croydon tram. A 'day' is 0430 to 0429 not midnight to midnight, and not a 24 hour period of your choosing.

On most of the new bus for london / new routemaster / boris bus, you were at one time allowed to get on at any door - this has largely been done away with, they now expect you to get on at the front, as too many people were avoiding payment.

If you have a concessionary travel pass issued by a Scottish (or Welsh or N Irish) local authority, it's not valid in England (with possible exceptions on a few routes that cross the border) and vice versa - this is one thing where a 'national' scheme means the 4 countries not the UK.

TFL tickets / fares are not valid on the sightseeing tour buses, or the (old) routemaster route that's recently been introduced between waterloo and piccadilly, that's also independent of TFL.

There are also ongoing strikes with Abelio buses in London, as well as rail strike days when the shit will hit the fan generally. More here.

All the above subject to the disclaimer that I'm no longer involved in running buses in London.

Have fun.

London buses are now cash-free and have been for a few years. They take contactless cards as well as Oyster Card, and (so long as you make sure you use the same contactless card all day) there is a daily fare cap for bus + tram. There are no travelcard zones on buses, I really can't remember what the deal is on Croydon tram. A 'day' is 0430 to 0429 not midnight to midnight, and not a 24 hour period of your choosing.
Trams are effectively a part of the bus network, I think. So you can do the hopper thing. Doubt Sas will be venturing into Croydon, though. ;)

https://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/tram

Doubt Sas will be venturing into Croydon, though

c70c3e3db93e9c205b0a3fbe515519542e54b88bb0bff157f4acd00ec0166c57.jpg

For Sasaferrato the buses should be free, that said, I don't know if a local bus pass will work on London buses.
Don't think so. He'd need a Freedom Pass, which is London-specific.

It won't cost a lot, though. Any two-bus journey, like the one to the Science Museum, will cost £1.65 each way.

We moan a bit about transport in London, but I'm always taken aback by how much buses cost elsewhere in the UK. We have it much better than most.

Last edited:
For @Sasaferrato the buses should be free, that said, I don't know if a local bus pass will work on London buses.

as previous, a scottish concessionary pass will not be valid in london.

a concessionary pass issued by any english local authority is valid on buses (but not trains or underground etc) in London

a london councils' freedom pass (but not the 60+ pass) is valid on buses elsewhere in england (with some exceptions, and generally only after 0930 on weekdays) - again, most places that allow concession passes to be used on local rail / tram, it's only for local residents (e.g. unless they have changed it, nottingham tram can be used on a nottingham / nottinghamshire concession pass, but not one from anywhere else)

in both cases, it may be necessary to show it to the driver rather than 'beep' it on the ticket machine - london oyster card was developed before there was a national standard, and i think the TFL bus ticket machines don't recognise the national cards electronically.

Didn't know that about the rest of England. I knew the Welsh pass wasn't valid so assumed none were. Welsh pass is a bit shit in comparison really. :(

It won't cost a lot, though. Any two-bus journey, like the one to the Science Museum, will cost £1.65 each way.

We moan a bit about transport in London, but I'm always taken aback by how much buses cost elsewhere in the UK. We have it much better than most.

Plus that thing where you can make multiple bus journeys within the hour and not pay extra.

was it a strike day? or one with major engineering work somewhere? with strike days, there's often an emergency timetable the day before and / or after (so that the trains all get home before the strike starts) and it's just possible there was a balls up getting the data for one of those days in to the system in time. and the richmond end of the distraught line is on network rail tracks, so will be affected by a NR signallers' strike even if underground staff aren't on strike.

It wasn't a strike day, nor engineering works, and I double checked the times and date I'd put in, tried different times too, checked the filters and tried various of the quickest route, cheapest route etc. but couldn't get it to tell me to go on the District Line no matter what I did!

I only went on there because I thought it would be the quickest way of checking how frequently a direct train ran from Plaistow to Richmond and the length of the journey (which I wasn't certain about) but ended up playing with it for a while when it started coming up with odd journey suggestions.

I did the journey on the day and time I'd been using journey planner for by getting on the District Line at Plaistow and getting off it at Richmond, as I knew I could despite what the journey planner would have had me believe :D

I did the journey on the day and time I'd been using journey planner for by getting on the District Line at Plaistow and getting off it at Richmond, as I knew I could despite what the journey planner would have had me believe :D

in that case, sounds like some sort of cock up with the data...

btw - if you do it again, and again you might already know this - you might be able to do it cheaper if you go via stratford and the orange line (overground) as that avoids zone 1. that might involve touching an oyster card on one of the pink journey validators (to prove you went round the overground rather than through central london) but to be honest, pink journey validators are a bit outside my expertise.

Why does it do stuff like this though Puddy_Tat ? It says this journey will take 45 mins but when you add up the steps here, it comes to 33 minutes. What is it doing?
Screenshot_20221230_201232_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom