Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bulk buy lentils

sojourner

Where's me readers?
Can anyone recommend an online shop to bulk buy lentils at good prices please? I don't wanna pay any more than max £1.80 per kg, otherwise it defeats the object of bulk buying. Too many of the wholefood shops online are at least double what Tesco charge!

Morrisons do 2 for 1 on their KTC brand pulses and big discounts too, lots of variety. Online and in big stores. Sorry not loose bulk mfraid. Currently £2 per kilo across the whole range... chana dahl red lentils brown lentils etc so a bit over.

I find the best place for bulk buying is your local Asian supermarket wholesaler. Many have an online presence/delivery service too.
This.

Works out at £1.56 per key from my local wholesaler for red split.

Global foods is great. I tend to stock up about once a year from them, though it might be a bit of a trek from the frozen north.

I've found Tesco's world food section and Morrisons offers are cheap as usually they have the 2kg bags for £3.50. This depends on branch. Woolwich Tesco's has an immense store room and good world food section. Alternatively have a word with a local Asian/African food cash and carry/ supermarket and see what they can do. Often they are are working on very low margins and happy to help out.

I've found Tesco's world food section and Morrisons offers are cheap as usually they have the 2kg bags for £3.50. This depends on branch. Woolwich Tesco's has an immense store room and good world food section. Alternatively have a word with a local Asian/African food cash and carry/ supermarket and see what they can do. Often they are are working on very low margins and happy to help out.
No one reads anything properly anymore!

I don't have one. I live in a shitty town in the north where even fucking orzo is an exotic food.

I remember the time in college a canny flatmate took his turn at the monthly budget and decided that the best way to maximise the drink-to-food dichotomy was to "invest" in a very big bag of lentils and a very large quantity of frozen fish.

The number of meal choices that could please everyone that could be made out of a a combination of fish, lentils, ketchup, a few spices and the emergency stock of baked beans was rather limited. That was a long month!

I remember the time in college a canny flatmate took his turn at the monthly budget and decided that the best way to maximise the drink-to-food dichotomy was to "invest" in a very big bag of lentils and a very large quantity of frozen fish.

The number of meal choices that could please everyone that could be made out of a a combination of fish, lentils, ketchup, a few spices and the emergency stock of baked beans was rather limited. That was a long month!
hqdefault.jpg

Personally, I'd have to be eating lentils daily to consider buying in bulk - they are more prone to aspergillus and mould contamination than dried beans and aren't as safe to store long-term/eat past their best before date, you have to be a bit careful with them.
A couple of months worth at a time is probably safer, although I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to storing food due to having a warm damp flat.

Personally, I'd have to be eating lentils daily to consider buying in bulk - they are more prone to aspergillus and mould contamination than dried beans and aren't as safe to store long-term/eat past their best before date, you have to be a bit careful with them.
A couple of months worth at a time is probably safer, although I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to storing food due to having a warm damp flat.
Tbf I was only thinking of 5 to 10kg at a time.

Remember eating loads of baked beans when the supermarkets fought the Great Baked Bean Wars back in the day. Used to buy trays and trays of the fucking things because I was skint.

That period of time is probably solely responsible for global warming given the amount people must have eaten because they were so ridiculously cheap.

No one reads anything properly anymore!

I don't have one. I live in a shitty town in the north where even fucking orzo is an exotic food
I am something of a connoisseur of shitty northern towns and live in one myself, and am struggling to think of one that doesn't have at least a small Asian community or is reasonably accessible to another town that does. Unless you is in Cumbria.

I am something of a connoisseur of shitty northern towns and live in one myself, and am struggling to think of one that doesn't have at least a small Asian community or is reasonably accessible to another town that does. Unless you is in Cumbria.
Wow.

Struggle no more then as I prove to you that I know my own fucking town. St Helens is a place where 98% of the population considers themselves White British.

Wow.

Struggle no more then as I prove to you that I know my own fucking town. St Helens is a place where 98% of the population considers themselves White British.
OK fair enough, I've been to St Helens.

But what, thirty mins on the train to Liverpool / Manchester/ Preston? And there are Asian shops in Warrington and Wigan and Skem according to Google. Depends how badly you want the lentils I guess.

There's an Asian grocery store called Quality Halal Butchers at 82 Claughton St, Saint Helens WA10 1SN

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom