Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

A Facebook group against the concerts

It's not so much against the festivals as against Brockwell Park being turned into a venue and building site for the best part of every summer. It's not just a couple of days but weeks of disruption, all in return for a pretty paltry income.

At Field Day's consultation, the rep tried to imply the "you're only against it because you're not into festivals" position but it turned out that quite a few of the crowd had been in the past couple of years (with mixed opinions of the event itself).

One person mentioned that they'd visited in 2016 and that as they'd stepped off the tube into chaos and mess they'd remarked "thank God this isn't in my area". Oops.:D

How does it work? Can the festivals use all their own contractors or do they have to have marquee erectors, electrical/lighting suppliers, security, fence builders etc from a list of Lambeth approved contractors?

How does it work? Can the festivals use all their own contractors or do they have to have marquee erectors, electrical/lighting suppliers, security, fence builders etc from a list of Lambeth approved contractors?
Their own, as I understood it.

I'm not against the park being used for events, I am against the park being ruined by events, and against people living nearby having their lives impacted for weeks and weeks by events (for which they don't really benefit at all).

There's little joy in having a park on your doorstep if you are not able to fully use it for long periods of the summer.

I appreciate all the arguments about local people being excluding and costs of tickets etc etc, and they are all valid, but for me the preservation of the park and people living nearby should be the main focus of any planning and execution of these events.

I'm not against the park being used for events, I am against the park being ruined by events, and against people living nearby having their lives impacted for weeks and weeks by events (for which they don't really benefit at all).

There's little joy in having a park on your doorstep if you are not able to fully use it for long periods of the summer.

I appreciate all the arguments about local people being excluding and costs of tickets etc etc, and they are all valid, but for me the preservation of the park and people living nearby should be the main focus of any planning and execution of these events.

One of the arguments put forward by a councillor was that although there are some very big events planned, the number would be fewer than are currently hosted by the park so actually local people would be less impacted. When pressed to say what sort of smaller events might not happen they used the circus and fun fair as an example. Others,I assume, include running events and such like.

Whatever anyone thinks about such events, they are tiny in scale so that they barely impact park use at all.Those events are listed by Lambeth as attracting about 500 people a day. You would not notice the additional footfall coming and going. Field Day alone is almost 100x that. I don't know how much more space would be taken up - maybe 20x?

The idea that several huge events will relieve disruption from twenty smaller ones is nuts. In fact, has anyone even complained about the smaller events?

Last edited:
I suspect very few, if any. The fairs tend to go by with little fuss or disruption, and tend not to leave much mess or churned up grass.
The really heavy churning up of the park happens when events start shipping in massive stages, PA systems, security fencing, bars and all the other infrastructure that a major event needs.

It's not so much against the festivals as against Brockwell Park being turned into a venue and building site for the best part of every summer. It's not just a couple of days but weeks of disruption, all in return for a pretty paltry income.

At Field Day's consultation, the rep tried to imply the "you're only against it because you're not into festivals" position but it turned out that quite a few of the crowd had been in the past couple of years (with mixed opinions of the event itself).

One person mentioned that they'd visited in 2016 and that as they'd stepped off the tube into chaos and mess they'd remarked "thank God this isn't in my area". Oops.:D
Apologies, you're right. It's against more than just the festivals.

I love the park. I do the Parkrun there, I did my 100th last weekend, and know every incline, turn and camber of the route. I think that people are going to treat the park without due consideration if they have paid money in. There will be people pissing in bushes, dropping fag butts, the bins fill up and overflow and the rubbish gets left there, maybe a fox rips a chicken box to shreds. It doesn't make those who do the above bad people, it's just that the public park isn't the right place to host such an event. Add a wet weekend and it could take significantly longer for the park to recover if the grass is ruined.

On top of all that, the left turn from Norwood Road onto Dulwich Road gets closed, the shops are all crowded, the buses are all full, cash machines empty. There is significant impact on local residents beyond the use of the park.

I am a grumpy old shite whose best days of festivals are long behind me, but I think I have a point.

Apologies, you're right. It's against more than just the festivals.

I love the park. I do the Parkrun there, I did my 100th last weekend, and know every incline, turn and camber of the route. I think that people are going to treat the park without due consideration if they have paid money in. There will be people pissing in bushes, dropping fag butts, the bins fill up and overflow and the rubbish gets left there, maybe a fox rips a chicken box to shreds. It doesn't make those who do the above bad people, it's just that the public park isn't the right place to host such an event. Add a wet weekend and it could take significantly longer for the park to recover if the grass is ruined.

On top of all that, the left turn from Norwood Road onto Dulwich Road gets closed, the shops are all crowded, the buses are all full, cash machines empty. There is significant impact on local residents beyond the use of the park.

I am a grumpy old shite whose best days of festivals are long behind me, but I think I have a point.

Congrats on the 100th Parkrun! I've done a couple there, it's great.
Will all the stuff going on affect the parkrun?

Congrats on the 100th Parkrun! I've done a couple there, it's great.
Will all the stuff going on affect the parkrun?
It has done in the past when there have been private festivals. The Lambeth Country Show usually results in cancellation, but I think that’s a worthwhile reason as it is a public event. If it is cancelled for four weekends, it would be a crying shame.

It has done in the past when there have been private festivals. The Lambeth Country Show usually results in cancellation, but I think that’s a worthwhile reason as it is a public event. If it is cancelled for four weekends, it would be a crying shame.
Absolutely! Will keep my fingers crossed but I'm not hopeful really.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

i think sporting activities shouldn't be allowed in Brockwell park either. It takes up valuable space in the already over crowded, small park. The studs on the sporting footwear these careless people use could easily churn up the grass, when they have no right to do so because they are probably not even from Herne Hill. Flying footballs and frisbees and the like are dangerous. Even though, on the face of it, their activities seem pretty harmless and they look they are enjoying themselves, it slightly inconveniences me to walk around their horseplay, and that's when it becomes a problem.

i think sporting activities shouldn't be allowed in Brockwell park either. It takes up valuable space in the already over crowded, small park. The studs on the sporting footwear these careless people use could easily churn up the grass, when they have no right to do so because they are probably not even from Herne Hill. Flying footballs and frisbees and the like are dangerous. Even though, on the face of it, their activities seem pretty harmless and they look they are enjoying themselves, it slightly inconveniences me to walk around their horseplay, and that's when it becomes a problem.
As ironic as you are attempting to be, some people would agree with you. There are certainly complaints about 25 minutes of park run early on a Saturday morning. I say 25 minutes because by that stage the remaining runners are so well dispersed so as to be indistinguishable from regular joggers.

Like you say, it is conceivable that such uses may be a slight inconvenience to other park users. But are you suggesting that the disruption from an influx of roughly 100,000 people over a weekend, weeks of building and dismantling and huge enclosures (then repeat) are comparable?

Update:

Brixton Buzz has also obtained PIL figures for recent festivals at Brockwell Park. Gala paid £1,200 in 2016; Found paid £3,125 the same year. The larger Sunfall contributed £10,000 to the Council in 2016.

If we get a rainy July the Country Show could be fucked because of Lambeth's profiteering:

It is the proposed timing of Lovebox that is causing concern for many park users. The set up would start on 2 July, with the festival taking place on 13, 14 and 15 July. The Lovebox site crew would leave the site on 20 July.

The following day the Lambeth Country Show is scheduled to begin. Any mid-summer downpour during the Lovebox takeover could make the setting up of the Country Show a little problematic.

Exclusive: Lovebox expected to pay Lambeth Council £40,000 and Field Day £35,000 for takeover of Brockwell Park

I enjoy inconveniencing the other park users by jogging round the park, breathing heavily as I do so, using up all the oxygen which other park users would like to breathe in a normal fashion. And I am not even from Herne Hill. I am from Tulse Hill, if such a place even exists. So take that in your pipe and smoke it!

The FB group seems to be picking up a lot of members who aren't to keen on Lambeth turning the park into an all-summer events hotspot, and this petition has now been launched: Sign the Petition

I must say that of all the commercial activities that take place in Brockwell Park, someone selling Xmas trees ranks about the very lowest on my list of concerns. Unless i’m missing something.
Some people are well pissed off about it.

Some people are well pissed off about it.

With all respect to them, I think they’re missing the point. Someone selling Xmas tress is a commercial operation like many others that have been taking place in the park for decades. How is someone selling Xmas trees is any worse than someone allowed to operate a funfair? I’d imagine the Xmas tree seller takes far less space and is far less disruptive than a funfair. I fail to see the reasons behind outrage about it.

Back
Top Bottom