Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Lovely pics!

brockwell-cobwebs-07.jpg

brockwell-cobwebs-01.jpg

brockwell-cobwebs-04.jpg

Details of the raffle for tickets for the events for locals.

Seems to be free events on the Monday-Weds - anyone any ideas what they involve?

Never seems a particularly good campaigning tactic to personally attack someone that mildly disagrees with you!

Just got an email saying that I’ve been unsuccessful in applying for local residents’ tickets, despite living right next to the park. I’ve applied every year since they started doing these big events, and this is the first time I’ve been unsuccessful. Everyone else I know who applied has also been turned down this year.

Any idea how many local tickets were available this year compared to previously? There’s clearly been a spike in demand, but you’d think that with twice as many events going on there’d be an increase in supply too.

Why it loses quite so much money is not a new question and has been asked by all political persuasions. How much it costs the council to put it on is critical to whether it continues to be put on at all.

In 2018 Lambeth published figures from their own research finding that 150,000 attended spending on average something like £30-40/head. That's well over £5,000,000 spent at the show. Yet they received little over £300,000 - significantly less than 10% - in concessions and sponsorship deals. I don't think anyone is arguing that it must be profit making. But based on that kind of data it is fair to question why it cannot be self-sustaining. Afterall, the more it costs, and the less it brings in, the more likely it is to get canned for being unaffordable.

There was an article on the Herne Hill Forum setting out lots of figures but it seems to have gone.

Point is it’s not a loss it’s how much has been spent. It shows what the Tories priorities are - they’d presumably scrap it or charge.

This rather splendid print is on half price sale for £15

1650970862463.png

I don't remember either of the above (not been in London long enough, not spent enough time around Brockwell Park) but they are great images :)

I remember all this. We used to walk past them most days going to infants school before Holy Trinity in Upper Tulse Hill opened in the Winter of 1956 (IIRC) and we no longer had to walk across Brockwell Park to get to school.

I've got one photo of me and my friend Margaret on a day out with a goat and our mums in 1954, but I think this might be at Crystal Palace Park and not Brockwell.

Roy and Margaret.jpg

I remember all this. We used to walk past them most days going to infants school before Holy Trinity in Upper Tulse Hill opened in the Winter of 1956 (IIRC) and we no longer had to walk across Brockwell Park to get to school.

I've got one photo of me and my friend Margaret on a day out with a goat and our mums in 1954, but I think this might be at Crystal Palace Park and not Brockwell.

View attachment 334378
Yes that looks like the fencing in Crystal Palace park to me. Lovely photo

Back
Top Bottom