Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Shame to see that Corpus Christi school has stopped taking their kids to the park for their PE sessions because of their safety concerns about the site build. The school doesn't have its own playing fields. #thanksthatcher etc.

Yet they could access via Brixton Water Lane and use the plenty of space there that is nowhere near the build site or vehicle routes, and is open and accessible....

I'm sure they could, but said that their assessment based on teacher pupil ratios said No, when combined with lorries and fences etc.

Loads of space the school can still use....

7697887.jpg

Indeed, and I can see a whole lot of people not paying it (more on the artist side - as, well you know, they're being paid to be talent, not to pick up the pieces). Will also be interesting to see if the actual guests do contribute... and then FD get to hold their hands up and say that it was their guests who didn't support...
From my experience at other gigs/festivals, guests are give no choice about paying. I really think it's an underhand way to supposedly give back to the community. If they really gave a fuck, they'd take some money out of their own vast earnings from the event.

The school didn't even know it was happening, so it is quite likely that having discovered it was happening they didn't immediately have all the info about vehicle routes, etc... Lambeth Events have admitted that they don't have the resources to answer enquires in a timely manner.
" Event Lambeth has a responsibility for around 300 Events which take place in our parks, open spaces and streets around Lambeth across the year. This is a large number for a small council team and so responses may be delayed at sometimes. "

Some of the arguments on the Brockwell Tranquility seem to be getting more and more bizarre. Now they're posting up links to stories about 'watching birds and mental health' and trying to demand drug testing at the festival because of the tragic death of two people at the Portsmouth festival.

The drug testing suggestion was a comment about testing the content of people's drugs in light of the recent festival deaths; not checking intoxication. It's a politically sensitive but ultimately sensible idea.

Some of the arguments on the Brockwell Tranquility seem to be getting more and more bizarre. Now they're posting up links to stories about 'watching birds and mental health' and trying to demand drug testing at the festival because of the tragic death of two people at the Portsmouth festival.

Some truly daft comments on there.....

Some of these hashtags, FFS

#parktheft. #teardownthatwall #giveusbackourpark

Some pretty good hashtags from people who probably feel they are being excluded from the park they use everyday. Brockwell Park is an open space that was created to be used by people from all walks of life, rich and poor, but here is an event that is denying anyone without a ticket zero access to parts of the park they like to use.

Some pretty good hashtags from people who probably feel they are being excluded from the park they use everyday. Brockwell Park is an open space that was created to be used by people from all walks of life, rich and poor, but here is an event that is denying anyone without a ticket zero access to parts of the park they like to use.
You think so? I have a lot of sympathy for their cause but "parktheft" is just daft hyperbole.

You think so? I have a lot of sympathy for their cause but "parktheft" is just daft hyperbole.

parktheft is fairly much on the money as it is not possible to cross Brockwell park in any straight lines. It's all about now having to 'go around'. Lambeth have allowed a 'screw you if you don't like it', attitude to prevail from the organisers.

parktheft is fairly much on the money as it is not possible to cross Brockwell park in any straight lines. It's all about now having to 'go around'. Lambeth have allowed a 'screw you if you don't like it', attitude to prevail from the organisers.
We'll have to disagree, then.

They really are getting rowdy on Twitter. I wonder if anyone goes to picket the site when people turn up - that would be quite entertaining to see.

NIMBYs be NIMBYing but Lambeth are blatantly just pushing things as far as they can, softening the locals up for more and more of the same, they can see pound signs in them there fields. We should run a book on how long the County Show lasts till it has to be replaced by a privately run expensively ticketed event. i give it 3 years tops.

NIMBYs be NIMBYing but Lambeth are blatantly just pushing things as far as they can, softening the locals up for more and more of the same, they can see pound signs in them there fields. We should run a book on how long the County Show lasts till it has to be replaced by a privately run expensively ticketed event. i give it 3 years tops.
Yep. And every time the community pushes against their latest money raking wheeze it'll end up being used against them in the end: "Well seeing as you wouldn't let MegaCorp use the park for three months this summer we now have no choice but to start charging for the Country Show..."

Back
Top Bottom