Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park loses a chunk due to junction alterations at Herne Hill Junction

I really don't see the issue. It's a tiny strip of park which is not used, and the junction needs fixing.

Here's what John Brunton from the HH Society had to say about the plans when I spoke to him.

Personally - I'd be sorry to lose a plot of green land in favour of tarmac, but it really is a tiny percentage of a rather large, beautiful park.

only the people who live right up near the station on Railton road & Rhymer / Hurst streets are in favour of this.

Another way of saying this would be 'Those most directly affected by it'

As I've said several times on this thread, the FOBP and others have used hyperbole and spin constantly in their campaign against a development which will take less than 1% of the actual green space from the park, and make a better, safer interchange for pedestrians, cyclists, buses and cars.

The other thing as well is that '1100' is a big number - that's like 1000m!!!

What people don't appreciate is that 10mx110m isn't that big a space...in fact, it's basically the space taken by the sprint section on a running track.

I'm not sure.

But my strong impression is that only the people who live right up near the station on Railton road & Rhymer / Hurst streets are in favour of this.

Everyone else I've asked in the Herne Hill area is against this - hence the FOBP petition getting 4,000 or so signatures compared to 200 or so for the petition in favour.

Actually loads of people in Herne Hill are in favour of it - perhaps they are just not quite as motivated to sign petitions etc, as it has always seemed likely that the scheme would go ahead anyway.

That said, I admire the FOBP for acting on an important principle, but sometimes you just have to let the head rule the heart.

If it was any other junction and any other bit of park I'd probably be dead set against it. But the fact is, it is that (very dangerous) junction and that (very scummy) bit of park.

The other thing as well is that '1100' is a big number - that's like 1000m!!!

What people don't appreciate is that 10mx110m isn't that big a space...in fact, it's basically the space taken by the sprint section on a running track.
If the aim is to benefit the area, a car park that size would have a hundred or more spaces. That would be more useful than gobbling up the space to widen the road.

Actually loads of people in Herne Hill are in favour of it - perhaps they are just not quite as motivated to sign petitions etc, as it has always seemed likely that the scheme would go ahead anyway.

That said, I admire the FOBP for acting on an important principle, but sometimes you just have to let the head rule the heart.

If it was any other junction and any other bit of park I'd probably be dead set against it. But the fact is, it is that (very dangerous) junction and that (very scummy) bit of park.
The junction could be made a lot safer by the provision of proper pelican crossings. Far cheaper, too.

I really don't see the issue. It's a tiny strip of park which is not used, and the junction needs fixing.
No, it's rough grassland at the edge of the park. That grass is kept long and rough for the benefit of the ecology and of wildlife. Destroy that strip, and a similarly wide rough strip will be needed to replace it.

All the fixing the junction really needs is to have proper pelican crossings.

The junction could be made a lot safer by the provision of proper pelican crossings. Far cheaper, too.

Aye, I said this a few moons ago

It's not hard it is to cross a road safely with proper crossings provided. I see that there are none there now, was this to make it unsafe and ensure this goes ahead?

:)

It's not just the pedestrian crossings that need fixing though. The road junction is a bottleneck - for buses as well as cars. The proposal creates more space for passing traffic and lets buses going from Norwood to Dulwich road bypass the lights entirely.

I have no trouble with them sorting stuff out but I feel it is appeasing the car brigade by taking away some of the park. How about massive bus lanes and a ban on cars around that junction
(that'd be mental, I know!)?

Did they really take away the green man crossings there to make it unsafe so the scheme would go ahead? I lose track

[QUOTEBut the fact is, it is that (very dangerous) junction and that (very scummy) bit of park.][/QUOTE]

Both untrue

It doesn't ban cars. Doing so would be madness, it's a critical junction for all traffic. The railway and the park are massive obstacles and rerouting round them would result in chaos.

It does add some bus lane though

No, it's rough grassland at the edge of the park. That grass is kept long and rough for the benefit of the ecology and of wildlife. Destroy that strip, and a similarly wide rough strip will be needed to replace it.

How much of the strip that will be taken out comprises "rough grassland"? Not very much I don't think. Most of it is tarmac anyway.

All the fixing the junction really needs is to have proper pelican crossings.

That doesn't really help buses and cyclists though does it?

Why can't the 2nd proposal go ahead then, that only uses 50% of that parkland and still allows the development of Herne Hill? It is not a scummy part of the park, it's full of rosebushes, grasses and benches. If you push into the park, then another part of the park will become wino-land anyway.

I think it's fucking sad when urban green spaces are given up for cars in any situation, and the parkland is going to make a two lane sliproad.

The railway and the park are massive obstacles and rerouting round them would result in chaos

I would have no problem with this scheme if they added to the park somewhere else, by digging up a road and making it part of the park

I think it's fucking sad when urban green spaces are given up for cars in any situation

This ^^^

In a few years time I expect this as an example of the park being taken away for car flow, and it to be repeated

One lane sliproad

The rosebushes and flower beds will have to go in either layout, although the toilet block is retained in the FOBP proposal. Both schemes will require redesign and replanting of the entrance area, and the amount of parkland taken up is miniscule in both schemes. I'd be happy with either of them.

One lane sliproad

The rosebushes and flower beds will have to go in either layout, although the toilet block is retained in the FOBP proposal. Both schemes will require redesign and replanting of the entrance area, and the amount of parkland taken up is miniscule in both schemes. I'd be happy with either of them.

What seems particularly pig headed to me is that FOBP have come up with a fallback design that meets the objectives (and so keeps everyone happy) and that Lambeth have 'reviewed' it using the people who came up with the original plan. So unsurprisingly Lambeth have decided not to budge.

Another way of saying this would be 'Those most directly affected by it'

Well actually everyone who lives locally crosses at that junction regularly - including me. So we all have an interest in getting it sorted out.

It's more that the people in Rhymer / Hurst streets like the idea of losing traffic going past their front doors - which will ultimately go past somebody else's front door now...

One lane sliproad

There's already a one-lane slip road, it must become two lane, surely, to allow the traffic going south from Dulwich road (as they are blocking off Railton).

I look forward to the redevelopment of Herne Hill, but as the original Lambeth plan didn't allow for this and was purely road widening/park stealing I think they've found this way round it as evidenced by ignoring the updated plan. This is more for traffic improvement to the South Circular (and gentrification) than anything else. Call me a cynic with regards to Lambeth Council.

It may be miniscule compared with the total size of the park, but who counts percentages anyway? I think losing it will quite noticeable, especially to those who've used that entrance for the past 30 years.

Traffic going south down Dulwich, headed for Norwood road just takes the RH lane when approaching the lights, then turns right. The proposal clearly shows a single lane slip road if you look at the drawing.

and gentrification

Gentrifying Herne Hill? Cos it's so run down now.

Incidentally, the A205 is nowhere near Brockwell Park, so I don't quite know how improving the junction at BP will alter traffic flow at the crossroads at Tulse Hill...

The simple fact is: you don't have to lop off a corner of the park to make the junction safer for foot and cycle traffic.

I also seriously wonder how they can say cycling and walking would be safer. If you look at the detailed plans you can see that the "slip road" which will go around the corner has no traffic lights or zebra crossing. At least there is a set of traffic lights there now.

Oh yes, the council consulted about 2000 people in the immediate area, not park users or people in other areas. They got a majority to support it. Over 4000 people signed a petition against it, and they are being ignored.

One more interesting footnote. This was a party political issue. Labour councillors voted in favour of the scheme: Tories and Lib Dems voted against. How does a humble traffic scheme become party political?
My guess: because nuLabour voting home-owners are happy to destroy parkland if it helps them pocket a hefty profit by improving house-prices in the area.

Hence, I suppose, the downright misinformation posted here :mad:

I just measured areas off the proposed plan using autocad.

The breakdown of Park Area Removed is:

33% Mown grass
32% Tarmac
19% Scrub/bushes/small trees
7.7% Raised beds
4.8% Toilet block grounds
3.5% Toilet block

Here is the proposed plan:

3403440091_399531aa85_o.png

And here it is as is:

3404258904_356420fd5b_o.png

So that's pretty much 60% of the land is "green", and about 30% public paths in the traffic free environment of the Park. The remaining 10% is for public convenience.

All this is to be destroyed for the benefit of through traffic.

Of course, the paved areas inside the park just inside the exit gate will need to be relaid when the exit gate is moved a staggering 10m or so inside the present park boundary.

It is dishonest of the promoters of the "parkland for slip roads" policy not to count this further paving as parkland destroyed by their scheme. It is dishonest to claim that "most" of the area to be lost is already tarmac. And it is dishonest, and manipulative, to have failed to introduce simple pelican crossings to make the junction safer for foot traffic.

This is not about people, local facilities and local trade. It is about speeding the flow of through traffic through the wider and faster slip road (which will therefore be more hazardous to foot traffic entering and leaving the park). Great, we lose the public conveniences , and parkland. We gain a junction with faster moving traffic and poorer pedestrian facilities.

And the traffic that has slipped round the corner more smoothly will get to the next bottleneck at the junction of Brixton Water Lane and Effra Road/Tulse Hill, oooh, maybe three or five minutes more quickly. Where it will, of course, be delayed for longer (being as more will be queued up there).

The usual great sense of priorities from the motoring lobby, then

Back
Top Bottom