Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park loses a chunk due to junction alterations at Herne Hill Junction

I was always against it and hate it still. The promise was that cars wouldn't be able to use it - only buses and cycles. Cars do use it. Also that it would massively improve the danger of the junction - it hasn't - just more roads to cross now. As a pedestrian, getting from the park to the costcutter side is still a nightmare, getting from the bookies side to the 2nd hand furniture shop side - also a nightmare. The lights still function as though the pedestrianised section is not pedestrianised (I guess to let bikes/emergency vehicles through) but as no other stream of traffic can see that happening it often causes confusion. The two right hand turn lanes coming down Dulwich Road into Norwood Road also often cause trouble as the middle lane can be right hand turn or straight ahead, so cars who want to go straight ahead often get stuck behind cars wanting to turn right.

FWIW I use it as a pedestrian, cyclist and driver and haven't seen any improvement on any front.
I must say my own experience is almost diametrically the opposite. Albeit not a massive difference, traffic congestion has improved. Most noticably if you are turning left onto Dulwich Road. And the only possible way to make crossing the road from the Costcutters than it is with the new layout is if cars were banned altogether. It's a massive improvement in safety for pedestrians.

If that above means the park had to lose approximately 0.025% of its land, so be it.

It feels much safer to me, but we are out of the pushchair stage (hooray!) so I defer to gaijingirl's experience in that regard.

The park lost 1050 square meters. That's a lot of park. There are many better uses for 1050 square meters of green parkland than to turn it into road.

This has been gone over ad nauseum earlier in the thread.

The bit of park "lost" has not been turned into road. It's been turned into a bit of paved public space outside of the park railings.

As per post 205 earlier in the thread:

park-jpg.4247

I have coloured in red the areas that are currently public space accessible to pedestrians but which will become roadway, and I have coloured in green the areas which are currently roadway but which will become public space accessible to pedestrians. If you subtract the amount of green from the amount of red, there really isn't such a huge area that has been lost, is there?

It's like a face, with a mouth, two eyebrows, a nose, a few warts but no eyes.

The left eyebrow is the new, improved, reassuring crossing island I was mostly talking about.

Back
Top Bottom