Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

just wondering if anyone has any experience of 'palace fireplaces' in tulse hill? their quote for installation seems incredibly cheap compared to other places... about half the cost. it's still an expensive purchase, however, so am keen to hear views before making any decisions.

also any recommendations of other fireplace shops/ fitters happily received.

Last edited:
Hi Rushy, could they service an electric boiler which is playing up? Not sure what kind of trades person I need. Also, what should I be expecting to pay? Thanks.
I assume so as they can do full kitchen and bathroom installs. Hourly rate is quite high, about £85+VAT.

What sort of boiler is it and what seems to be the problem?

I assume so as they can do full kitchen and bathroom installs. Hourly rate is quite high, about £85+VAT.

What sort of boiler is it and what seems to be the problem?
Electric immersion heating which seems to be, to put it technically 'on the blink'. Heats up sometimes, but not others, no matter how long you let it heat up. Or heats for a couple of mins then gives out. These things are all a mystery to me, but cold showers are no fun.

Electric immersion heating which seems to be, to put it technically 'on the blink'. Heats up sometimes, but not others, no matter how long you let it heat up. Or heats for a couple of mins then gives out. These things are all a mystery to me, but cold showers are no fun.
I'm no expert but sounds possibly like the thermostat to me, rather than the element (which would more likely either just work or not). Could then possibly be a straightforward electricians job not involving any plumbing. Only really begins a plumbing job if the immersion element has to be removed.

Then again, it might be a good idea to change the element anyway if it is old. Two birds, one stone as it were. And the elements themselves are mostly not expensive.

Anyway, I got an email from them today saying that they've taken on a new electrician...

hi there, I'm also looking for a local carpenter to do some fitted wardrobe/shelves and was wondering if you could recommend the person that did yours? We've tried 3 different people so far - 2 never turned up as promised to give us the quote and the one who did then went missing - so hoping its 4th time lucky!

I'm afraid I haven't been organised enough yet to see this through :oops:

Know what you mean - I've been meaning to do this since last summer (not helped by problems in locating a carpenter - I'm trying not to get a complex).

I'd be grateful for any carpenter recommendations! Thanks all.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone relatively local who has done a good job on fitting a plastic or metal front (or other) door? Our wooden one has been swelling up for months, and now I fear I'll be able to leave the house each time I need to!

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone relatively local who has done a good job on fitting a plastic or metal front (or other) door? Our wooden one has been swelling up for months, and now I fear I'll be able to leave the house each time I need to!

mine does that every winter.

I'm looking at doors myself. Where you getting your door from?

just wondering if anyone has any experience of 'palace fireplaces' in tulse hill? their quote for installation seems incredibly cheap compared to other places... about half the cost. it's still an expensive purchase, however, so am keen to hear views before making any decisions.

also any recommendations of other fireplace shops/ fitters happily received.

We used Just Fit Fires to supply and install our wood burning stove. They were really helpful and reasonable. The wrong model of the stove was delivered (to be honest I think we ordered the wrong one) and they worked really hard with the suppliers to avoid a re-stocking charge and didn't charge us anything for having to do the fitting in two stages. Left everything clean and today

Can anyone recommend a reasonable large rubbish collection service in Brixton? We've a few rolls of old carpet and lining and a small amount of building rubbish

Can anyone recommend a reasonable large rubbish collection service in Brixton? We've a few rolls of old carpet and lining and a small amount of building rubbish
Lambeth will collect bulky items. I think up to four for £20, then £5/item. Our something like that.

I need someone to install a dishwasher which would include extending our pipes and maybe also the electrics and putting some work surface on top of it.
So some kitchen shit with plumbing and maybe electrics.
Any recommendations?

I need someone to look at some exterior brickwork/pointing. Which was supposed to have been fixed by our previous builder. :mad:

Hi, can anyone give me the contact details for a decorator/tiler. I need to retile the shower wall and make sure it's completely leak proof.

I'm in Herne Hill.

Thanks!

Hi, can anyone give me the contact details for a decorator/tiler. I need to retile the shower wall and make sure it's completely leak proof.

I'm in Herne Hill.

Thanks!
I'm sure Rory will be inundated now but try him...they do any kind of building work, including p and d.

Number just above.

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.
Mixed review of British Heart Foundation collection service.
I finally got round to trying to get rid of three heavy old cathode ray type tellies.

The shop don't answer the phone, but quickly ring you back if you book a collection on their website booking form.

This morning prior to collection got an incredible phone call reminiscent of a call centre in Bangalore, except completely unintelligible. So I said "Is that British Heart Foundation?" to which they replied yes - be there in half an hour.

When they arrived, it was two Polish or other east European guys with very limited English. Not interested in the manuals etc for the TVs, but they had obviously been told to check for scart sockets. Unfortunately for me, one of the TVs had no scart, so they left it. I guess I will have to do the usual and dump it on the street - something as a respectable citizen I was seeking to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom