Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Splash 2016 cancelled over complaints and safety concerns

The event to compare it to is Brixton Come Together. Which which worked well.Mainly organised by the Latin American community in Brixton.

I know there are people in the Afro Caribbean community who see Splash as taking back Brixton for a day.

The underlying criticisms of Splash are that it does not represent the diversity of Brixton as a place where multiculturalism works in practise from below.

These issues are touchy subjects to deal with. Whilst different groups rub along there are also potential conflicts.

Nor is there a way to discuss them imo.

I wonder of the motives of a Labour Council stopping this event. Is it purely about complaints? Or is it they are nervous of what Splash represented?

As I've said elsewhere, our "cooperative councillors" don't like anything that they can't control/monetise, or anything that doesn't demographically "improve" their wards. I've said it before, but we need to acknowledge that some of our councillors don't like multi-class, multi-cultural "Old Brixton" with its vast swathes of social housing and poverty, and prefer the idea of a mono-class, less multi-cultural "New Brixton" with less social housing, and more disposable income.
Splash is a damned good reminder of "Old Brixton", and as such is "beyond the pale" to some.

Fair enough. Notting Hill Carnival gets the same kind of criticism every year.

As the report shows a lot of people were coming from outside Brixton to the event. The bit about the Underground Station being under stress with all the people.

In a city I am not sure what to do about this.

TBF, even back when I used to go ('80s), there were usually enough Portaloos and public bogs (plus enterprising locals with buckets in their yards!) that street pissing wasn't a massive problem. Splash seemed to fall down on that at least, last year.

As I've said elsewhere, our "cooperative councillors" don't like anything that they can't control/monetise, or anything that doesn't demographically "improve" their wards. I've said it before, but we need to acknowledge that some of our councillors don't like multi-class, multi-cultural "Old Brixton" with its vast swathes of social housing and poverty, and prefer the idea of a mono-class, less multi-cultural "New Brixton" with less social housing, and more disposable income.
Splash is a damned good reminder of "Old Brixton", and as such is "beyond the pale" to some.

I agree I think this is underlying some of Splash losing license for this year. Our "Progress" Cllrs will not say it in public.

If you go to the Splash's website now you can see this, a statement they were planning to release before Lambeth announced that there would be no Splash this year. <snip>
Thanks for the link. :(

Who's the ex-BS board member going around behind their backs?
Haven't a clue, but from that statement it looks like whoever that person is was the only one actually in the room with the council, as nobody who is actually on the board of Splash turned up. :(

Brixton Splash party cancelled after surge in drug-taking and violence

This seems to suggest there are three board members (but I can't see any info on their legal status, or their board members on the splash website, but then have only looked under the 'about' section). There has to be one for them to get the arts council funding for outreach / events work.

"The council now wants to install a new management board and recruit a new team of volunteers to plan the 2017 Splash."
That fits with the cloak & dagger stuff from yesterday (the existing Splash Board's statement that predates Lambeth's decision) doesn't it though.

Well it all depends on the legal status and constitution of the current management committee. If they have a constitution, that will prevent the council from putting new members onto their board without member support.

Anyone know the inside story about the decision to suspend Splash? Which of the long list of problems was the killer? Who forced the decision through?

Anyone know the inside story about the decision to suspend Splash? Which of the long list of problems was the killer? Who forced the decision through?
Looking at the list of directors (and their resignations) posted above, maybe it was because there was no-one left at HQ....:(

I suspect the "reboot" - if it ever materialises - will be a very different affair to any of the last few Splash events.
The first few Splashes were great, the latter were rubbish. overcrowded, intimidating (to some), too many poor quality sound systems, mucho sound system clash, crappy PA's, too few toilets, etc.
When I said they were 'victims of their own success', I meant that they (organisers) didn't (and couldn't) plan for the amount of tourists arriving in to town.....

hopefully the reboot takes it back to its roots.

Can't think of any way in which that could possibly happen, can you?
Unless time machine, or a barrier where everyone has to bring along a recent bill as proof of address to be allowed in.

Who's the ex-BS board member going around behind their backs?
Could it be that Lee Japser is the person who was at the recent meeting with the council ?
(I haven't a clue am just guessing, but from the link above it seems he was very seriously on the case about the financing side of Splash, which Lambeth would like).

Last edited:
The first few Splashes were great, the latter were rubbish. overcrowded, intimidating (to some), too many poor quality sound systems, mucho sound system clash, crappy PA's, too few toilets, etc.
When I said they were 'victims of their own success', I meant that they (organisers) didn't (and couldn't) plan for the amount of tourists arriving in to town.....

With the nu-council running it? LOL!

Back
Top Bottom