Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

It's Ritzy, Hackney, Crouch End, East Dulwich and Picture House central that are going on strike.

Management usually close Ritzy on strike days. But I've seen PictureHouse central open on strike days.

Clapham isn't part of the strike.

Bectu are calling for boycott of all PictureHouse cinemas.
Cool cheers

Actually here we go, from the London Anarchist Communists site:

RItzy Cinema Workers Strike

There's a week of strikes and pickets coming up at the Picturehouse Cinemas in London:

Picket lines -
  • Saturday 17th: Hackney Picturehouse (17.30-20.30)
  • Sunday 18th: Picturehouse Central (17.30-20.30)
  • Monday 19th: DEMO at Picturehouse Head Office, Orange St (11.30-14.30)
  • Tuesday 20th: East Dulwich Picturehouse (10.45-14.00)
  • Wednesday 21st: Crouch End Picturehouse (17.30-20.30)
  • Thursday 22nd: Ritzy (17.30-20.30)
  • Friday 23rd: Picturehouse Central (17.30-20.30)

Please support the pickets and don't cross the picket lines

The tribunal for the sacked reps starts on Monday and is scheduled to finish on Thursday. Members of the public can usually spectate at tribunals. I suppose this one will probably be in Croydon, like the one before, at the London South Employment Tribunal. The judgement for the one before is online - quite interesting. https://assets.publishing.service.g...td_2301537-2017_and_others_Interim_Relief.pdf The reps were sacked because they were sent an email describing a cyber-picket of the cinemas, in which ticket sales are prevented by activists who put all the tickets in their shopping baskets but don't buy them. Picturehouse says that such a picket is illegal and the reps should have reported the email to management. They didn't, so they were sacked.

That feels quite underhand, blocking ticket sales in that way. I'm surprised though as most ticket selling sites only hold them for a few mins.

Why do you think it "underhand" to do this? They are supporting people trying to get Living Wage. I don't see that as being "underhand".
It's different from forming a picket line. People have the choice to cross it or not.
By taking all the tickets online, people no are not given choice.

It's different from forming a picket line. People have the choice to cross it or not.
The kind of cunt who goes ahead and books a ticket at a venue where there's a widely publicised boycott taking place doesn't deserve any tickets in the first place.

The kind of cunt who goes ahead and books a ticket at a venue where there's a widely publicised boycott taking place doesn't deserve any tickets in the first place.

Stop being so sanctimonious for one minute, Editor. It's attitudes like yours that make people less likely to listen to the argument.

Thinking on it this is not a cyber picket. It's more like an internet "denial of service attack" . Given that Cineworld/ Picturehouse are refusing to pay living wage it's ok attempt to do this imo. Its an economic attack on there business.

Stop being so sanctimonious for one minute, Editor. It's attitudes like yours that make people less likely to listen to the argument.
It's my opinion. I don't post it to change anyone's mind, least of all the kind of cunts who think it's OK to regularly break a workers' boycott.

So sorry if it offends you.

Moving on from the tedious personal sideswipes, Back on topic there's a demo tonight at 5.30pm.
I'll add some detail on Buzz shortly.

Anyone coming along to support the workers tonight?

brixton-ritzy-second-strike-2016-21.jpg

Tonight: Reinstate The Reps demo at the Brixton Ritzy, 5,30pm, Tues 13th Mar

Back
Top Bottom