Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

seems to me the owners of Brixton Ritz are taking a gigantic shit on their position in the market.

it's always been perceived as a slightly left of centre cinema, showing interesting films and documentaries, like many of the other smaller chains do

how can that possibly stand up now. it's barmy.

(and yes i know they are now part of a big chain)

Been avoid the Ritzy for a while, I seem unlikely to return after this obvious attempt at union busting.

Does anyone know if ANY London indie cinemas (realise Ritzy was only faux-indie) pay the London Living Wage? Was disappointed to find the Prince Charles Cinema doesn't.
I'd be really surprised if any cinemas do pay LLW (or shops or pub barstaff for that matter and don't start me on care homes) I don't earn LLW but I still support the Ritzy workers - so few low paid work places seem to be unionised these days

It's not over yet though, as the union won't drop plans for the strike ballot until guarantees are offered about their members’ long-term job security. And quite right, too.

They've fought a good fight and won.

Long term job security? Who is guaranteed that these days?
They haven't got the London Living Wage wage yet. And why the fuck shouldn't long term employees fight for some kind of job security given the cavalier way that Picturehouse suddenly dropped their plans for near-immediate mass redundancies?

They haven't got the London Living Wage wage yet. And why the fuck shouldn't long term employees fight for some kind of job security given the cavalier way that Picturehouse suddenly dropped their plans for near-immediate mass redundancies?

What does 'long term job security' mean? I think it's an intangible demand. How long does an employer have to promise you have a job for?

The question doesn't have to relate to this situation and dispute. I don't think it's a demand any employer can promise their staff these days.

What does 'long term job security' mean? I think it's an intangible demand. How long does an employer have to promise you have a job for?

The question doesn't have to relate to this situation and dispute. I don't think it's a demand any employer can promise their staff these days.
I'd suggest they're looking for some sort of reassurance that the owners won't pull another sudden 'Mass Redundancies'R'Us' number out of the bag any time soon. And that seems a reasonable enough request to me.

I know some of the workers who were in line for the festive sacking, it would have had seriously repercussions on the lives/homes etc - and Christmas is one of the worst times to try and find a new place to live.

I'd suggest they're looking for some sort of reassurance that the owners won't pull another sudden 'Mass Redundancies'R'Us' number out of the bag any time soon. And that seems a reasonable enough request to me.

I think that's reasonable and fair. I'm hoping Picturehouse/Cineworld will have learned that punitive and bully boy tactics are not going to get them anywhere. They've got to swallow the sting of the defeat and move on now.

Another way they may take this is to just let the Ritzy go without any real funding, run it into the ground, wait for it to be a shitty place where no one goes, then make everyone redundant, wait, refurb, re-open as a shit multiplex....the M&E in the place is already fucked...and it's never been a truly great experience watching a film there.

Either way....I'm not sure I really wanna go there now and put my pennies in the paymasters pockets...so I'm a bit torn now.

Let's hope it's not a pyrrhic victory. I can imagine Cineworld not replacing staff who leave, an old tactic.
Nonetheless, well done to the staff.
I think it's highly likely that Cineworld don't actually want to reduce their staffing level, which are probably already pretty tight. More likely they wanted to use the redundancy process to weed out people they perceive to be troublemakers.

Companies that genuinely have to reduce staffing levels to cut costs don't back down that easily.

It looks like what happened is Cineworld (the massive company which owns Picturehouses) took a look at the situation and pulled rank on Picturehouses' management, with the CEO stepping in to tell them to stop the 'consultation' on the redundancies.

The Chief Exec of a big corporate, saving the workers from the artsy, 'independent' Picturehouses? Fancy that!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/30/brixton-ritzy-climbs-down-over-redundancies

It looks like what happened is Cineworld (the massive company which owns Picturehouses) took a look at the situation and pulled rank on Picturehouses' management, with the CEO stepping in to tell them to stop the 'consultation' on the redundancies.

The Chief Exec of a big corporate, saving the workers from the artsy, 'independent' Picturehouses? Fancy that!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/30/brixton-ritzy-climbs-down-over-redundancies

And Mooky is a pretty fucking cool name. If he was my chief exec, I'd obey too.

Last edited:

Lots of redundancies made at Cineworld headquarters this week, maybe the Ritzy redundancies were always part of the plan.....

Picturehouse back down.

The owner of Brixton’s Ritzy cinema today performed a dramatic u-turn, axing controversial plans to sack a third of its workforce which had triggered a boycott and public protests.

Just two days ago, Picturehouse warned staff that as many as 34 jobs were at risk due to higher costs after the success of a staff campaign to convince the Ritzy to take their pay up 21 per cent to £8.80, the current London Living Wage.

News of the potential sackings prompted a public boycott and campaigning from high-profile figures such as the writer Will Self. Now bosses have backed down and said no one working at the Brixton cinema will face redundancy.

Cineworld’s chief executive Mooky Greidinger today spoke out on the issue for the first time, telling the Standard: “Group management was not aware of plans to enter consultations for redundancies at The Ritzy, which is managed by Picturehouse. I am now making this a group matter and I have decided together with Picturehouse management to put an end to the consultation process.”

Back
Top Bottom