Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

My neighbour told me about this. She teaches English on a zero hour contract. Here is the article. At last an article saying how it is for a lot of people.

Dignity and respect at work is what has gone.

Yes. Not just for people in low-paid jobs either.

Yes. Not just for people in low-paid jobs either.

You are right. I have a friend who is a journalist and she has the same problem. Has worked for a journal for years and has no security of employment. A member of the "Precariat". Lots of people are on short term contracts or freelance now.

In journalism it used to be possible to start work in a local paper get experience and move on. Now its unpaid internships etc.

Last edited:
You are right. I have a friend who is a journalist and she has the same problem. Has worked for a journal for years and has no security of employment. A member of the "Precariat". Lots of people are on short term contracts or freelance now.

In journalism it used to be possible to start work in a local paper get experience and move on. Now its unpaid internships etc.

And there are many fewer newspapers.

Does anyone one know - are staff still wanting us to boycott anymore? Are there any more strikes planned?

I really want to see Pride there this week if possible

I recall the Ritzy being supprtive of L&G events back in the day when that wasn't generally the case.
I remember the UK premier of Torchsong Trilogy at the Ritzy, which was a big deal at the time, as a fundraiser (can't recall who for, but it might have been Pride) in about 89 or 90.

Does anyone one know - are staff still wanting us to boycott anymore? Are there any more strikes planned?

I really want to see Pride there this week if possible

I have just checked there FB page and it has not been updated since 31st August.

My view is that the boycott was called as Picturehouse had pulled out of talks. This changed and a proposal was made that was not accepted by Ritzy staff.

So imo until otherwise indicated the boycott is off.

I guess some talks are still going on.

I have just checked there FB page and it has not been updated since 31st August.

My view is that the boycott was called as Picturehouse had pulled out of talks. This changed and a proposal was made that was not accepted by Ritzy staff.

So imo until otherwise indicated the boycott is off.

I guess some talks are still going on.
Thanks!

I heard that there's a pretty good chance that the Ritzy staff will be accepting the latest offer that's currently being thrashed out.

The strike is over, the campaign continues.
In a ballot which closed yesterday, Friday 12 September, members voted to accept the latest pay offer from Picturehouse.

Although falling short of the London Living Wage, this deal moves us much closer towards it.

In light of this, the boycott of the Picturehouse group has now officially ended.

We would like to thank and welcome back all those who have given their support to our campaign over the last months.

That support has been very much appreciated and immensely helpful in getting this result.

As a strong collective of staff at the Ritzy, doing things differently has been key to our success to date.

We have shown that workers don’t simply have to put up with poverty pay, or feel powerless and isolated.

A small milestone has been gained with our new pay offer from Picturehouse; winning what equates to a 26% pay rise over 3 years is a real achievement.
Although strike action will now cease, our campaign for a Living Wage and the dignity and justice that it represents will continue.

We will post more information soon.

"The battle is long and they are many. But there are more of us, there will always be more of us. Tomorrow is ours!" Blanca - Land and Freedom, directed by Ken Loach"

http://ritzylivingwage.tumblr.com/post/97395545303/the-strike-is-over-the-campaign-continues

:cool:

Me too. As a trade unionist, and rep, it gladdens my heart to see people fighting for their rights, and winning. Am I right in thinking this deal only applies to Ritzy workers and not other Picturehouse staff?

Yes you are right.

Its only the Ritzy cinema in the chain that has unionized workforce that is recognized by mge.

From what they have said to me they would like to see staff in other Picturehouse cinemas join union.

If you see "Pride" do let us know what u think. Its had good reviews.

Have you seen "Brassed Off"? A film I rated about aftermath of the strike.

Yes I saw Pride on friday and enjoyed it. It fictionalises and brings in several eighties themes - the strike, Aids, gay bashing, police brutality, age of consent, Thatcher, etc all set in 84 -85 and some how manages to find the humour. The acting was great and the welsh scenery beautiful. It made me laugh and cry. Later one of my companions had a full sobbing fit recalling how quickly young men dropped dead of Aids.

It made it look like there were thousands of miners on the pride march - I only recall a few, though I do recall a great speach from a miner's wife that didn't make the film. Must go look at my old photos.

Its heart warming English comedy in the same vein as Brassed Off, Billy Eliot, Full Monty etc. It's grim but we can find hope, solidarity, joy - that sort of film. The eighties were shit but this film polishes it nicely and sprinkles glitter on it.

Yes I saw Pride on friday and enjoyed it. It fictionalises and brings in several eighties themes - the strike, Aids, gay bashing, police brutality, age of consent, Thatcher, etc all set in 84 -85 and some how manages to find the humour. The acting was great and the welsh scenery beautiful. It made me laugh and cry. Later one of my companions had a full sobbing fit recalling how quickly young men dropped dead of Aids.

It made it look like there were thousands of miners on the pride march - I only recall a few, though I do recall a great speach from a miner's wife that didn't make the film. Must go look at my old photos.

Its heart warming English comedy in the same vein as Brassed Off, Billy Eliot, Full Monty etc. It's grim but we can find hope, solidarity, joy - that sort of film. The eighties were shit but this film polishes it nicely and sprinkles glitter on it.

Good review. U should put it up on the Ritzy film thread. There is a thread on it in politics for some reason. Looks like a must see film.

edited to say just noticed u have already posted on that thread.

We went all the way to Mayfair on Friday to see Pride as we didn't want to break the boycott. The message they put on Facebook on Friday was actually quite ambiguous.

Was that Curzon Mayfair? I was tempted to see it there as it was on screen one. Which is one of the best in London imo.

Take your point about the ambiguity of the Friday message on looking at it again.

Was that Curzon Mayfair? I was tempted to see it there as it was on screen one. Which is one of the best in London imo.

Take your point about the ambiguity of the Friday message on looking at it again.

It was and it is rather fabulous. We went in the afternoon so it was £8 rather than the rather prohibitive £14.50. But I have a load of free tickets on my Ritzy membership, which I haven't used since I renewed it back in May! So a bit more clarity from the Ritzy would have been good, but never mind.

From FB post:

It should also come to your attention that Picturehouse/Cineworld have employed someone with a reputation as a union buster to deal with all union relations, including BECTU’s attempts to gain union recognition at other Picturehouse branches.

One would have thought that Cineworld/ Picturehouse at the very least would not have a problem with union recognition.

Back
Top Bottom