Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I think the cocktail bar conversion is a bit of a thing. I can think of another on Aldwych by the Lyceum, and there's one on the corner of Grange Rd/Tower Bridge Road in Bermondsey too. I've also been in the one at Kennington Cross a couple of times when it was used for art installations. No doubt there are good few more scattered about. I tend to think of them as motifs in London's weird semi-secret streetscape - places I notice from time to time but rarely get to enter. A bit like those green cabmen's shelters.

As I work around West End and City I used to use the public toilet at Aldwych.

Most of these toilets were from Victorian era.

Says something about this country that public toilets are now considered to waste of space. Better to rent them out

What also gets me is the the City of London now charge people to use public toilets. The most wealthy area in UK.

Its the Thatcherite mentality. Why should the people get this for free.

Though most rail stations have now reverted to free toilets.

Lovely

In photos: Guerrilla knitting delivers positive messages in Slade Gardens

As I work around West End and City I used to use the public toilet at Aldwych.

Most of these toilets were from Victorian era.

Says something about this country that public toilets are now considered to waste of space. Better to rent them out

What also gets me is the the City of London now charge people to use public toilets. The most wealthy area in UK.

Its the Thatcherite mentality. Why should the people get this for free.

Though most rail stations have now reverted to free toilets.
The unstated reason station toilets used to charge for entry was a misguided attempt to ward off junkies and tramps

Happy ending.

Bike was spotted for sale on ebay.

Recovered in a sting in Brixton this morning and seller arrested. Muppet.

As it turns out, works (or more likely worked) at a local bike shop and had other stolen bike and equipment at home.
Lovely

Herne Hill has its own slightly less cheery versions.

1606408761417.png

On Philip Normal our Mayor.

The Progress supporting Mayor loves Starmer.

I feel sorry for those Labour prty members who thought Starmer would unite the party.

Right wingers like Philip were right to support him.

Not sure if the Rushcroft Road one ever functioned as a cottage, though its proximity to the Prince of Wales back in the day must have made it something of a 'destination'.

Anyone know what the plan is for the LTN's, most of them around the Ferndale Ward seem to have been damaged and not repaired. All the signs pulled down and the camera's wrecked. If the council are not prepared to maintain them think they should admit defeat and remove them, left as they are is just confusing for drivers and dangerous for cyclist and pedestrians.

Anyone know what the plan is for the LTN's, most of them around the Ferndale Ward seem to have been damaged and not repaired. All the signs pulled down and the camera's wrecked. If the council are not prepared to maintain them think they should admit defeat and remove them, left as they are is just confusing for drivers and dangerous for cyclist and pedestrians.

The lack of enforcement is definitely creating dangerous situations. Even where planters are intact and in place (St Matthews / Railton) pedestrians and cyclists are assuming they are in car free areas whilst, presumably the naturally less conscientious drivers on our roads, still drive through, often at speed. It seems extremely naïve of the council to have left the few cameras they have installed quite so vulnerable. People should not be vandalising them - but it only takes one person. There are good reasons why CCTV is usually well out of reach. It is wrong if someone steals my bike - nevertheless I don't leave it in the street because I know that it is likely that someone will. If I do leave it out where someone can help themselves, I do not deserve a whole lot of sympathy. In their self righteous haste the council have been totally reckless with our money. If they were paying for the cameras out of their own pockets they would quite rightly be lying awake at night worrying. Sadly they don't seem to take any responsibility at all.

I couldn't work out why this old article was suddenly picking up 8,000 page views in two days.

It looks like this is why and it's very powerful stuff indeed as Afawah accuses Vincent (Rat) Atkins of being a long term predator.

His response

I couldn't work out why this old article was suddenly picking up 8,000 page views in two days.

It looks like this is why and it's very powerful stuff indeed as Afawah accuses Vincent (Rat) Atkins of being a long term predator.

His response

I'm amazed - and confused.
Is this connected with
brixton-feb08-10.jpg

as detailed in your post Atlantic Road: Peggy's Cafe + Vincent Atkins ?

Atkins may have been a large family with several businesses actually.
South London Hi-Fi running one shop on Brixton Hill and one on Coldharour Lane for example.
They were also owners and landlords of the Angell Pub before it was auctioned off and turned into a Lexadon Sour Dough Pizza residential complex.
Of course the South London Hi FI and Angell pub Atkins family may be totally unconnected with Vincent of the shop in Atlantic Road/Railton Road.
I can vouch that Ricky who was running South London Hi Fi in Coldharbour was also running the Angel.
Except he spent a lot of time in the betting shop.

Not that I am offering an opinion on that Afawa's Youtube rant. By putting the video up you are helping her attain her wish to go viral I expect.

Do you know Afawah? Or Vincent Atkins?

Do you know Afawah? Or Vincent Atkins?
I don't know either of them, although I was aware of Atkins less than savoury reputation. I posted up videos showing both sides of the debate, but if what she says is true then that is deeply disturbing.

She didn't post up the videos to go 'viral', by the way.

Reactions: CH1
I don't know either of them, although I was aware of Atkins less than savoury reputation. I posted up videos showing both sides of the debate, but if what she says is true then that is deeply disturbing.

She didn't post up the videos to go 'viral', by the way.

She says at the start of the video that she wants it to go viral. 15 seconds in.

She says at the start of the video that she wants it to go viral. 15 seconds in.
Ah yes, you're right. I watched them both through and they're quite long so I forgot! If she is right in what she says and she has the evidence - as she claims - to back it up, let's hope the women/girls get justice.

She seems to be abroad...maybe she has to be, to be safe. As far as evidence goes, Atkins does have an awful lot of children. I wonder whether their mothers will say anything. It would be scary to speak out against someone who used to have so much muscle at his beck and call.

On a lighter note - ? - just catching the end of the Small Axe play on BBC One about Leroy Logan.
I have to confess having caroused with Leroy Logan, in company with various dissidents from the Community/Police Consultative Group for Lambeth - in the Beehive.

John Boyega seemed quite powerful in the TV part - but at the time I met Leroy in the Beehive he looked more like his Dad in the film, but with much less hair.

Shame Boris abolished the group - it was an opportunity to meet all sides on policing arguments.

Then (Saturday 15 May 1999):

"Lee Jasper, director of the 1990 Trust, said: "They (the Metropolitan Police) need to stop making alliances with unregistered informants and criminals, who are giving them the runaround, and build alliances with the communities who can give them real information." He added: "The stereotypical view of the police is that the black community is soft on drugs but we actually think the police are soft on drug-dealers."

Now (Sunday 29 November 2020):

Condolences to all those affected by the fatal stabbing of 27-year-old Terrell Davis (also known as TM1way) "by an old friend" shortly before 6.00 p.m. in Ramillies Close (near Brixton Windmill) on Sunday 22 November 2020 "while taking some shopping to his grandmother".

36025570-8979191-image-a-44_1606173372523.jpg

The Late Terrell Davis

Anyone with information can contact the police on 101, quoting CAD 5428 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

21-year old Tyrece Fuller from Kennington has now been charged with the murder of Terrell Davis and will appear in custody before Bromley Magistrates' Court later today.

Back
Top Bottom