Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

On National Windrush Day earlier this week, a Black Plaque was unveiled in respect of Val McCalla.

However, for reasons that have not been made clear, the tribute to the Seaford-based accountant and newspaper founder has been placed at Blue Star House in Stockwell Road.
Final McCalla serendipity post
Did Val have a relative called Casey Gane-McCalla self-described as a bourgeois black intellectual?
caution this very interesting article denouncing the Tea Party is over ten years old - dating to when Gordon Brown was PM here How Neo-Cons, Neo-Nazis And Neo-McVeighs Crashed Ron Paul’s Tea Party - Jack & Jill Politics

PS re your comments about the Voice offices - there were in Blue Star House and also at 370 Coldharour Lane, though I'm not clear which way round.

Big crane has gone up today on the former Olive Morris House site
Looking at that empty hple makes me wonder about the idea of recycling rather than demolishing buildings.
SLAM seem set to do a much bigger destroy and re-erect on their Lambeth Hospital, which is to be flats as part of a PFI deal just like Lambeth's deal on Olive Morris House.
This is all a waste of energy and building materials - as well as providing the wrong type of housing.

Looking at that empty hple makes me wonder about the idea of recycling rather than demolishing buildings.
SLAM seem set to do a much bigger destroy and re-erect on their Lambeth Hospital, which is to be flats as part of a PFI deal just like Lambeth's deal on Olive Morris House.
This is all a waste of energy and building materials - as well as providing the wrong type of housing.
And the street-level extension to OMH was only ten years old or so

Anyone know what’s happening with the bollards in Windrush Square? Back in May it was all action but now very little appears to be going on at all. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone working there for weeks.

Anyone know what’s happening with the bollards in Windrush Square? Back in May it was all action but now very little appears to be going on at all. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone working there for weeks.
It looks like the contractors and their machines have left the area, leaving a-lot of unfinished works especially on the Effra Road side.

Looks like some more building work coming to Sudbourne Road / Acre Lane, just got the attached letter. Going to be chaos if you add in the building work is about to start on the 41-45 Lexadon site as well.

One of the warehouses has a faded sign about Film Scenery does anyone remember if being a working business?
PXL_20210625_104333728.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like some more building work coming to Sudbourne Road / Acre Lane, just got the attached letter. Going to be chaos if you add in the building work is about to start on the 41-45 Lexadon site as well.

One of the warehouses has a faded sign about Film Scenery does anyone remember if being a working business?
View attachment 276401

View attachment 276401

Its not vacant or derelict- there are businesses operating from there. I get that it is eventually going to get redeveloped, but why do they write like its just sat there for 17 years with no benefit to anyone?

The company was Kimpton Walker. They did theatrical scenery for stage, TV, film and exhibitions. They moved from this site to the small industrial estate at the north end of Lyham Road towards the end of the 1980s (IIRC) to where Howden's are now. I don't think they exist as a company any more.

Back
Top Bottom