Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Brixton scenes:

Motorcycle roar: Brixton's Coldharbour Lane fills with noise as bikes descend at night's Coldharbour Lane fills with noise as bikes descend at night

bikes.jpg

I was coming home and saw this. When I was passing the Soup Kitchen guy arrived in his Soup Kitchen car. He seemed quiet happy with all the revving motorbikes on the pavement and the party outside the building.

TBF I was not best pleased by this. There were motorbikes speeding and doing wheelies at speed on my section of CHL.

Appeared to be some kind of organised party.

That went on until late.

I live far enough away to be not to affected by it. But those who live nearer must have been.

I'm kind of wondering who exactly is running the building.

I don't think doing this on Sunday night is exactly neighbourly

I was coming home and saw this. When I was passing the Soup Kitchen guy arrived in his Soup Kitchen car. He seemed quiet happy with all the revving motorbikes on the pavement and the party outside the building.

TBF I was not best pleased by this. There were motorbikes speeding and doing wheelies at speed on my section of CHL.

Appeared to be some kind of organised party.

That went on until late.

I live far enough away to be not to affected by it. But those who live nearer must have been.

I'm kind of wondering who exactly is running the building.

I don't think doing this on Sunday night is exactly neighbourly
What would have happened if they had done this in the Railton LTN?
Same as what is happening to the paint and oil sprayers no doubt.

Which all goes to show that community standards are by collective agreement - not enforced by any law.
These motorcyclists are a nuisance - but less so than the Mods and Rockers in Southend and Brighton fifty odd years ago, which engendered a major moral panic.

Were the motorbikes part of the party? Seems unlikely to me, but I stand to be corrected.

Looks like anyone who was a Lambeth Council tenant at any point between 1 July 2001 and 29 July 2019 and paid water rates with rent may be eligible for a refund of the commission the Council received from Thames Water.

Appears to be calculated at about 20% of the water rate cost plus interest.

Refund happens automatically if you are still a tenant. If you are no longer a tenant you would have to make a claim.

What would have happened if they had done this in the Railton LTN?
Same as what is happening to the paint and oil sprayers no doubt.

Which all goes to show that community standards are by collective agreement - not enforced by any law.
These motorcyclists are a nuisance - but less so than the Mods and Rockers in Southend and Brighton fifty odd years ago, which engendered a major moral panic.

Were the motorbikes part of the party? Seems unlikely to me, but I stand to be corrected.

From what I saw they were part of the party.

Reactions: CH1
They certainly joined the party for a while, driving and parking on the pavement outside the Soup Kitchen while a couple of them blocked the road doing circular smoke-making wheelies.

Is the Albert shut?
Bumped into Woczek (I think that's the right spelling) in loughborough park who said most of the staff have Covid and are off.

There was a sound system in the park on Sunday from around 2:45 PM and still there at 9PM after closing time, guess the park warden didn't want an argument.

Is the Albert shut?
Bumped into Woczek (I think that's the right spelling) in loughborough park who said most of the staff have Covid and are off.

There was a sound system in the park on Sunday from around 2:45 PM and still there at 9PM after closing time, guess the park warden didn't want an argument.

I was in last Thursday evening, a young chap was holding the fort on his own, which i thought was a little understaffed. He was coping fine mind, it wasn't particularly busy.

Anybody know what was going on in Myatts Field Park this morning? All the gates still locked at 9 am and a police car parked inside near the Brief Street corner.

Anybody know what was going on in Myatts Field Park this morning? All the gates still locked at 9 am and a police car parked inside near the Brief Street corner.
Oh dear.... just found this

A three-year-old girl has been seriously injured after being hit by an e-scooter in Camberwell’s Myatt’s Fields Park.
She was rushed to hospital by her family after the collision took place at around 8.30pm on Monday night (July 19).
The Met was contacted after her condition deteriorated. Although she is said to be stable, her injuries are believed to be serious enough to be life-changing.

Officers are now urging the rider, who had stopped at the scene to apologise, to come forward. They are also urging any witnesses to get in touch.
He is described as a young male who was with a group of people including another e-scooter rider and someone on a bicycle.

Detective Inspector Lucie Card, of the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command, said: “A little girl has been left in a serious condition after this collision and her family are, of course, very distressed.

“We have reason to believe that the e-scooter’s rider stopped after the collision and apologised to the little girl’s mother.
“It may be that they haven’t realised the severity of the girl’s injuries and thought she was ok.
“I am asking this person to please come forward and speak to us because we do need to understand what happened.

“I know it might feel a little overwhelming, but please do the right thing and call us or go to your nearest police station.
“We are also keen to hear from anyone in Myatt’s Fields Park around 20:30hrs last night.
“Please do get in touch with us if you witnessed what happened, or have information about the circumstances.”

Anyone with information should call Catford Traffic Garage on 020 82851574.

Oh dear.... just found this

A three-year-old girl has been seriously injured after being hit by an e-scooter in Camberwell’s Myatt’s Fields Park.
She was rushed to hospital by her family after the collision took place at around 8.30pm on Monday night (July 19).
The Met was contacted after her condition deteriorated. Although she is said to be stable, her injuries are believed to be serious enough to be life-changing.

Officers are now urging the rider, who had stopped at the scene to apologise, to come forward. They are also urging any witnesses to get in touch.
He is described as a young male who was with a group of people including another e-scooter rider and someone on a bicycle.

Detective Inspector Lucie Card, of the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command, said: “A little girl has been left in a serious condition after this collision and her family are, of course, very distressed.

“We have reason to believe that the e-scooter’s rider stopped after the collision and apologised to the little girl’s mother.
“It may be that they haven’t realised the severity of the girl’s injuries and thought she was ok.
“I am asking this person to please come forward and speak to us because we do need to understand what happened.

“I know it might feel a little overwhelming, but please do the right thing and call us or go to your nearest police station.
“We are also keen to hear from anyone in Myatt’s Fields Park around 20:30hrs last night.
“Please do get in touch with us if you witnessed what happened, or have information about the circumstances.”

Anyone with information should call Catford Traffic Garage on 020 82851574.
That's awful. Poor girl.

That's awful. Poor girl.
I’m constantly amazed how fast these things can go and the risks some riders take. Just this morning I was cycling up Loughborough Road with the traffic at a pretty brisk 18-20 mph when a chap on an escooter overtook me at at least 25mph. As the lights at Fiveways changed red ahead of us he accelerated through the junction into Akerman Rd. He had a girl of about 5 riding on the footboard in front of him. I winced not a little.

The government at a central level has neglected to do anything about this because as it stands, you can rent a commercial scooter, entirely legally, in a growing number of areas in London. But if you go into Halfords and buy the widely advertised scooters in there - very easy to miss they're only intended for use on private land - that'll get seized if the police catch you.

E-scooters have been buzzing around Brixton, and the rest of London for that matter, for ages now and the Police neve bat an eyelid.

My favourite example was a young teenager whizzing through a red light at the very busy Bedford Road/King Avenue crossroads one day, weeving through as cars from different angles almost flattened him.

E-scooters have been buzzing around Brixton, and the rest of London for that matter, for ages now and the Police neve bat an eyelid.

My favourite example was a young teenager whizzing through a red light at the very busy Bedford Road/King Avenue crossroads one day, weeving through as cars from different angles almost flattened him.
I've seen some outrageously risky, ad hoc e-scooter manoeuvring through red lights, the wrong side of the road, across pavements and junctions.

The Met has seized hundreds of them this year. The riders are nicked for having no insurance. They lose the scooter, they get fined and they get points on their licence. If they don't have a licence yet, the points are saved and put on their licence in the future.

The government at a central level has neglected to do anything about this because as it stands, you can rent a commercial scooter, entirely legally, in a growing number of areas in London. But if you go into Halfords and buy the widely advertised scooters in there - very easy to miss they're only intended for use on private land - that'll get seized if the police catch you.
I'm not sure about London but aren't commercial rental ones geofenced so that they can't operate in particular areas
and given variable GPS controlled speed limits.

I'm not sure about London but aren't commercial rental ones geofenced so that they can't operate in particular areas
and given variable GPS controlled speed limits.
Yes. They can't go over 15.5 mph. In certain places their speed is restricted to 8 mph. Compared to a typical privately owned one they have bigger wheels and tyres and better brakes, and a very short stopping distance. You need a driving licence to rent one.

Nasty crash on Brixton Road near Specsavers. There were a Ferrari and a Lamborghini, filming something I think, plus a couple of motorbikes, a quad bike, a Santander bike and a bus. The guy riding the motorbike was receiving chest compressions...I think he died, his family showed up and are all sitting in the road crying. The Lamborghini took off with the Santander bike jammed in its wheel arch. The Ferrari also left the scene. Lots of armed police units showed up and a young man was arrested.

Eta: the thing I thought was a Ferrari is another Lamborghini.

Last edited:
It all seemed to be one incident. It'll probably turn out to be some sort of dispute involving a rapper. The cars were probably rented and the drivers won't be hard to find. I gave the police the reg of the red one and some bits of the other one which were left behind with the wreckage of the bicycle.

There's nothing cool about any of it. The dead guy's girlfriend was covered in his blood, screaming. The guy on the quad bike was also screaming, circling around trying to corrall everyone. It was so bizarre the natural reaction is to wonder what the fuck it was all about. If you'd rather not read my thoughts just put me on ignore. But don't tell me what to think.

Back
Top Bottom