Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Photos from Sunday

In photos: XR/Brixton PSC demo Sunday 20th June outside Brockwell Park

In photos: XR/Brixton PSC demo Sunday 20th June outside Brockwell Park

On National Windrush Day earlier this week, a Black Plaque was unveiled in respect of Val McCalla.

However, for reasons that have not been made clear, the tribute to the Seaford-based accountant and newspaper founder has been placed at Blue Star House in Stockwell Road.
I remember Alex Pascal used to go on about how he founded the Voice - with Val McCalla - and then got written out.

In 1982 Pascall co-founded with Val McCalla Britain's first national weekly Black British newspaper The Voice, utilising Pascall's media connections as presenter of the BBC programme Black Londoners;[28][29] the first issue of The Voice coincided with the Notting Hill Carnival that year.[30]

from Alex Pascall - Wikipedia

Openreach have announced today that Brixton / Brixton hill / Tulsa hill will get fttp broadband by April 2025…

suspect it’ll be rolled out in some places in the area long before, they are rolling out fibre on telephone poles in the area between kings ave and Clapham Common right now which is the same “pre 2025” zone.

Alex

suspect it’ll be rolled out in some places in the area long before, they are rolling out fibre on telephone poles in the area between kings ave and Clapham Common right now which is the same “pre 2025” zone.

Alex
Yeah I noticed that, any ideas when that will be active ?

I remember Alex Pascal used to go on about how he founded the Voice - with Val McCalla - and then got written out.

In 1982 Pascall co-founded with Val McCalla Britain's first national weekly Black British newspaper The Voice, utilising Pascall's media connections as presenter of the BBC programme Black Londoners;[28][29] the first issue of The Voice coincided with the Notting Hill Carnival that year.[30]

from Alex Pascall - Wikipedia
The Voice was based on the 8th and 9th floors of Blue Star House from November 2000 to 2006. Val McCalla worked there, the current concierge has worked there since 2000 and remembers him.

Alex Pascall: broadcaster who gave a voice to black Britain and now taking on BBC

Last edited:
i had a closer look earlier - its not openreach it’s all community fibre, and it’s being installed on the roads off Clapham Common as far back as Rodenhurst road.
Also at Clapham North. They’ve got good reviews so I’m hopeful I can finally get rid of BT!!

The Voice was based on the 8th and 9th floors of Blue Star House from November 2000 to 2006. Val McCalla worked there, the current concierge has worked there since 2000 and remembers him.

Alex Pascall: broadcaster who gave a voice to black Britain and now taking on BBC

[URL="https:.theguardian.com/uk/2002/aug/24/arts.raceandreligion&ved=2ahUKEwiJ07Pwj7XxAhXxnFwKHXBNC_UQFjAYegQIIhAC&usg=AOvVaw29tIj7p3cgOEiKZ6qxS2QD&ampcf=1[/URL]
Val McCalla must have been a bit of a deal maker a la Trump.
After he moved the Voice to Coldharbour Lane he somehow managed to put together a deal including the old dole house site next door - Cooltan - and got planning permission from Lambeth to convert the Labour Exchange and the Voice building into a residential development.

Ultimately this became the Barratt Homes Brixton Square complex - but there was an intermediate buyer which was a quasi social homes developer who went bust.

Val McCalla lived in Sussex and was rumoured to have horses for his girls to ride, and sent them to private schools.

Val McCalla must have been a bit of a deal maker a la Trump.
After he moved the Voice to Coldharbour Lane he somehow managed to put together a deal including the old dole house site next door - Cooltan - and got planning permission from Lambeth to convert the Labour Exchange and the Voice building into a residential development.

Ultimately this became the Barratt Homes Brixton Square complex - but there was an intermediate buyer which was a quasi social homes developer who went bust.

Val McCalla lived in Sussex and was rumoured to have horses for his girls to ride, and sent them to private schools.
Apparently the recruitment section, classified job ads in the Voice, produced a very substantial income

Last edited:
Certainly - there were a lot of organisations and council and government departments that needed to demonstrate equalities considerations when placing job adverts.
As the market leader in terms of being a black newspaper the Voice was clearly the leading choice for all public sector and non-profit sector advertising.

To elaborate my point above regarding the sell-off of the Voice Coldharbour Lane office and the Cooltan/Job Centre building:

I was at the planning meeting where planning permission was considered - and the idea was to change the use from offices to a hotel.
It was said by the agents for The Voice and Val McCalla that they had interest from an Irish hotel group with hotels in Bayswater, Croydon and Portugal - Jurys Inn presumably.

Permission was granted - but the hotel deal never went through.
So when Places for People wanted permission for housing about four years later it was easier - hotel use being closer to housing than office use.
Just goes to show how mission creep occurs in planning.

Disappointingly there is very limited documentation for this in the Coldharbour historical planning mega-bundle

Back
Top Bottom