Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

We are bottom of Brixton Hill and are on a Hyperoptic trial which is giving a stable 1GBps. A dream after crap Virgin followed by crap BT Infinity.
Looks like Hyperoptic is pretty much the same service as G.Network - that is fast internet only with no bundle.
So did you keep your old landline or Virgin landline - dropped down to either phone only, or phone and TV package?

Just asking. I don't have a mobile at the moment, but could imagine it might be better for me to have either Hyperoptic or G.Network for internet and a mobile - cutting out the landline.

Is it related to that there Gmail/Google gang?

Was Videotron related to/ before NTL? i've still got a ntl email address - its retro now so some youngster told me.
Forgot to answer your question about Videotron.
They were one of six (I think) cable TV companies which the government chose to provide cable TV in the UK.
When they did it various companies put in bids for areas - like rail privatisation, or indeed the founding of ITV in the 50s. Remember, Granda, Yorkshire TV, Anglia etc.?

For some reason Lambeth - and Southwark I think ended up with Videotron.
Wimbledon and Croydon had United Artists I seem to recall.

The come-on to get cable customers was to offer cheaper than BT phone charges bundled with rip-off boxing and soccer packages. (I don't remember opera and ballet).

That was about 1994. Come 2000 or even before it turned out that the franchises were not sufficiently profitable, and some including Videotron were bought out/merged into NTL.

There was a further consolidation in 2006 when the remaining independent cable company Telewest merged with Virgin and NTL - the whole outfit now calling itself Virgin.

Some of this could have been down to the collapse of the DotCom bubble. I'd forgotten, but if you check you will find that despite it being a British company NTL had its head office in New York. Must've been a wolf of Wall Street if you ask me.

Hope that clears it all up!

Looks like Hyperoptic is pretty much the same service as G.Network - that is fast internet only with no bundle.
So did you keep your old landline or Virgin landline - dropped down to either phone only, or phone and TV package?

Just asking. I don't have a mobile at the moment, but could imagine it might be better for me to have either Hyperoptic or G.Network for internet and a mobile - cutting out the landline.

We dropped the BT landline finally after 25 years of only the mother-in-law calling it.

What a crappy website that is, hard to use poor and just flashy for sake of it. Add more pedestrian space and segregated cycle only routes, electric or clean energy buses and less/no cars in fact just send all the traffic through Clapham high street !
Yep, it's awful.

Aries bakery on Acre Lane seems to be closed/abandoned - have they thrown in the towel (I think they got burgled at least once, which is shit) or is it a refurb or seasonal closure?

Aries bakery on Acre Lane seems to be closed/abandoned - have they thrown in the towel (I think they got burgled at least once, which is shit) or is it a refurb or seasonal closure?

Oh that is bad news. Quite liked them.

I had heard they were having some issues with finding bakers tho

I understand it's closed, they had few issues going it seems. Followed them on Instagram and talked about some fake reviews and few more serious issues. Fingers crossed they manage to give it another go.

I was intrigued enough to see that Louis Theroux was a guest on Big Narstie tonight on Channel Four to actually tune in.
It was fairly entertaining - even to me - but I'm intrigued by where Louis Theroux actually grew up.

He claims to be South London, but Wiki etc only refer to him being schooled with Nick Clegg at Westminster School, and indeed travelling with Nick to the USA (not presumably to meet the great Mark Zuckerberg).

I would put Louis Theroux down as Thornton Heath or South Norwood. I don't see his father Paul Theroux as Brixton. He could of course be Wandworth (how unfortunate).

Big Narstie is supposed to be Brixton's Brightest. Can this be true?

When the refurbished ones come on the market the rents are north of £75k pa so a unrefurbished Arch further down Atlantic Road at £50k pa is now considered ‘ cheap ‘ in Brickers ( Brixton to me & you ! )
A grand a week is a lot. Not sure that would pay If I was selling weed with a licence.

I would put Louis Theroux down as Thornton Heath or South Norwood. I don't see his father Paul Theroux as Brixton. He could of course be Wandworth (how unfortunate).
Catford until he was four, then after the 'Great Railway Bazaar' gave his dad his first break, moved to Eslynge Road in Wandsworth Town where the Theroux family would have been first generation gentrifiers in what was then bedsit land.

Paul Theroux interview in 2013 "After that, in the 1970s, as an alien in south London, I travelled from Catford Bridge to Charing Cross. I liked the anonymity. I was indistinguishable from the other railway passengers. "

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
Noticed the refurbishments to the Reliance Arcade are coming on well, have to say really impressed with what they have done. Think National Rail and Hondo should take note that all the existing tenants appear to have stayed.
I had assumed the arcade was part of Brixton Market ans thus owned by Hondo.
This architects blurb gives no ownership information: Reliance Arcade | Hugh Cullum Architects Ltd

Anyone know who does own the Reliance Arcade?

Pretty sure it's not Hondo as they would have destroyed its character, evicted long standing tenants and put DJs into every other unit.
I'll see if the planning application gives a clue when I get time. Interesting that the improvement scheme was largely publicly funded according to Hugh Cullum Architects.

Back
Top Bottom