Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

This kind of transparent PR bullshit really pisses me off. Some team building company are offering to feed 50-80 homeless people for one day only. Which is great.

But keen to extract the maximum feel-good publicity for their one-day selfless act, they've hired in a PR company to advertise their "search for a venue that would allow it to host its 'biggest yet' cooking for the homeless event."

To that end, they've prepared a press release liberally peppered with the company's name and business type which has been sent out to multiple press outlets. In my case, twice in five days.

You would have thought it would have bene cheaper and quicker just to hire someone to find them a venue, eh?
Probably spent more on the promotion of it than on the food.

No witnesses or evidence or confession mentioned. I wonder how the prosecution managed to get a conviction?

The news report to which you have helpfully drawn attention gives a clear and graphic account of the sexual assault committed by Jeff Cooper a.k.a. Jeff the Chef against a child, then aged around 13, as well as the resulting years of mental trauma suffered by the victim.

46964716_2592043764154113_4857371277473611776_n.jpg

(Source: Facebook)

Hopefully, anyone who knows Jeff Cooper a.k.a. Jeff the Chef will be able to shed light on the seemingly bizarre nature of what was reportedly said on his behalf in mitigation:

"Defence counsel Fiona McCaddy argued (Jeff the Chef) Cooper had lived 24 years without an offence, apart from assaulting his wife in 2007 when he was cautioned by police. The barrister pleaded for a suspended sentence, citing advice from Cooper's GP who claimed prison would be dangerous for his skin condition ..."

In any event, following attempts to raise the profile of historic sexual abuse in the Brixton area, as well as nationwide, one hopes that Jeff Cooper a.k.a. Jeff the Chef will not be the last person to face justice for their historic crimes against women and girls.

The news report to which you have helpfully drawn attention gives a clear and graphic account of the sexual assault committed by Jeff Cooper a.k.a. Jeff the Chef against a child, then aged around 13, as well as the resulting years of mental trauma suffered by the victim.

46964716_2592043764154113_4857371277473611776_n.jpg

(Source: Facebook)

Hopefully, anyone who knows Jeff Cooper a.k.a. Jeff the Chef will be able to shed light on the seemingly bizarre nature of what was reportedly said on his behalf in mitigation:

"Defence counsel Fiona McCaddy argued (Jeff the Chef) Cooper had lived 24 years without an offence, apart from assaulting his wife in 2007 when he was cautioned by police. The barrister pleaded for a suspended sentence, citing advice from Cooper's GP who claimed prison would be dangerous for his skin condition ..."

In any event, following attempts to raise the profile of historic sexual abuse in the Brixton area, as well as nationwide, one hopes that Jeff Cooper a.k.a. Jeff the Chef will not be the last person to face justice for their historic crimes against women and girls.

Worried about the sugar and boiling water

marks-closure-01.jpg

marks-closure-03.jpg

Expect disappointment if you're heading to M&S for their final day today!

I'm disappointed they are dropping clothes - not that I buy many.
Their leather belts were surprisingly good and I've bought jeans there.

I've never heard anyone mention this bit of the story before:

anyone?

I always heard it was Operation Swamp and the ‘sus’ laws that sparked it.

I was in Brixton in 81.

Operation Swamp was in your face policing. I remember groups of police on every street corner coming into Brixton. As I then lived in Central Brixton I eventually was stopped and searched.

This blanket form of policing aimed at one area of Lambeth where a lot of Black people lived inevitably was perceived as oppressive. Rather than making local community feel safer.

So after a week or so of this tensions had risen. One incident then could easily spark off what became a riot.

I would have been but was visiting my family in Suffolk.
I recall BBC One interrupting programmes just before or after Dr Who with a newsflash about it.
Or was that a false memory syndrome recollection?

43 years ago today. Where have the years gone?

Expect disappointment if you're heading to M&S for their final day today!

Got there early and got most of the stuff I wanted! I've been a regular customer there for nearly 30 years so it's going to be strange to go without it (even if it is only 6 months).

Got there early and got most of the stuff I wanted! I've been a regular customer there for nearly 30 years so it's going to be strange to go without it (even if it is only 6 months).
I've been a regular late shopper for the cut price food bargains and I'm going to really miss the place. Their food is bloody lovely (especially the cabbage greens!

I think these really bright lights at junctions are potentially dangerous.

There’s a big bright throbbing advertising feature on the corner of the gyratory at Tulse Hill where Norwood Road turns onto the South Circular. It changed from some fairly dull colour to dazzling white just as I arrived at the junction and I nearly crashed. I thought a car was coming directly towards me and steered to avoid what I feared was an imminent head on collision.

The KFC ones are higher up, but still have the potential to alarm and dazzle drivers.

Ban this sick filth.

I’m still on the mailing list for the neighbourhood email thingy for my old address. Someone has emailed the list asking for help with an issue they’re having. Apparently, there was a suspected murder on Ostade Road recently. The person who is asking for help says that they live downstairs from the flat where the incident took place and they are being assailed by the smell of the dead body and the flies. They claim that the flat has not been cleaned since the murder, and although the body has now been taken away the smell and the flies remain. They’ve provided the email chain that includes emails from various Lambeth authorities, all acknowledging the problem, sympathising with the person raising the complaint, and passing the buck elsewhere.

What a horrible situation.

I don’t have any legitimate reason to bring this to Urban. But I keep thinking about it and how awful it must be for everyone involved there.

Last edited:
I think these really bright lights at junctions are potentially dangerous.

There’s a big bright throbbing advertising feature on the corner of the gyratory at Tulse Hill where Norwood Road turns onto the South Circular. It changed from some fairly dull colour to dazzling white just as I arrived at the junction and I nearly crashed. I thought a car was coming directly towards me and steered to avoid what I feared was an imminent head on collision.

The KFC ones are higher up, but still have the potential to alarm and dazzle drivers.

Ban this sick filth.
That one at Tulse Hill is really distracting, There's also a really bright video billboard on Brixton Hill. Horrible things.

Back
Top Bottom