Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Crowdfunding does give businesses certain advantages- instant feedback on the business idea and publicity of the campaign. If you make your target then you have proved the business idea and market opportunity to people sufficiently for them to donate. A rather more rigorous approach than persuading your local bank small business rep to give you a loan.
You have proven very little by hitting a target.

I'd say a lot of donors to a crowdfunding project would worry little if not at all about a business idea or market opportunity.
EG I need 5k for a project.
500 people at £10

I'd argue people (due to the amount given) wouldn't care one iota about my 2/3/5 year projections and plans

This site was crowdfunded before the word even existed. Some people are more than happy to give money to something they want to see/use online/in real life, even if they don't derive any financial benefit from its existence.
1,000,000 percent this.
Benefits don't have to be financial.

1,000,000 percent this.
Benefits don't have to be financial.
I agree: there are many valuable and worthwhile activities and causes that are worth funding thorough donations, such as U75 itself. That's the MO of the entire charitable sector. But of course Ed doesn't make money from U75 and I guess neither does anybody else.

My concern is when a for-profit entity, like a common-or-garden shop, clothes itself as a "community resource" or some such wording, to solicit donations, but where the proprietors reap any profits that might accrue. I suppose this is legal, but it seems a bit unfair.

I just think there is a material difference between not-for-profit good causes, and for-profit businesses, and that the latter should not solicit donations, but should stand on their own two feet, financing themselves through conventional investment offers as appropriate.

I agree: there are many valuable and worthwhile activities and causes that are worth funding thorough donations, such as U75 itself. That's the MO of the entire charitable sector. But of course Ed doesn't make money from U75 and I guess neither does anybody else.

My concern is when a for-profit entity, like a common-or-garden shop, clothes itself as a "community resource" or some such wording, to solicit donations, but where the proprietors reap any profits that might accrue. I suppose this is legal, but it seems a bit unfair.

I just think there is a material difference between not-for-profit good causes, and for-profit businesses, and that the latter should not solicit donations, but should stand on their own two feet, financing themselves through conventional investment offers as appropriate.
Fair enough. My view is that as long as crowdfunders are transparent then people can make their own choice. Where do you stand on social enterprises?

One suspects that "the real issue", whether for the residents of Clapham yesterday afternoon or listeners to LBC this morning, is that the Conservative Party 2024 London Mayoral Candidate is, so far, doing an excellent impersonation of a middle-aged bigot with little or no grasp of the issues relating to the office for which she is running and very little clue about very much at all, other than the possibility that some electors may support her campaign because her ethnicity differs from that of the incumbent.

1_Mayor.jpg

(Source: Jeremy Selwyn)

"Robbery" victim and Mayoral Candidate, Susan Hall: "The answer is I have no idea"

The latest poll results - based upon polling before the intervention of an immediate past Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party:

81765481-0-image-a-31_1709029316650.jpg

Sadiq Khan has 25-point lead over Susan Hall in London mayoral race, new poll finds

It is possible that Halfords may not be quite as "welcoming" to all as you believe:

Halfords manager suing company for £1m over alleged race discrimination

A Halfords employee was also found to have been racially harassed at Halfords' store in Brixton, where he worked, by colleague who said he was like "monkeys crying for bananas":

Halfords worker 'racially harassed' and compared to 'monkeys crying for bananas'

Their share price fell by a quarter following this morning's announcement:

28 February 2024: Halfords’ shares plunge after profit warning

Action on ASB! are hosting a public meeting on 27 March at which Lambeth Council and Met Police have committed to present a new joint strategy to deal with the current spike in anti-social behaviour in Brixton. Thanks to editor for publishing details in this article as well as links to the ASB survey and crowdfunder.

They'll probably be running at reduced capacity for a long while to build up goodwill with the police and council to prove they can run a safe venue.

Just seen this on Twitter

Aristocrats are portrayed as eccentric rebels who have had difficult childhoods is the line taken. They accidently happen to swan about the world living in different houses.

Massages.

Anyone have any nearby recommendations for a treat? Doesn't need to be fancy shmancy (though could be) but a nice environment rather than someone's kitchen table or a sweaty sports clinic.

Massages.

Anyone have any nearby recommendations for a treat? Doesn't need to be fancy shmancy (though could be) but a nice environment rather than someone's kitchen table or a sweaty sports clinic.

Brixton Therapy Centre do all kinds of massages on site on the high street, and also offer gift vouchers.

It’s alright inside, pretty standard, not posh spa level but clean and professional.

Brixton Therapy Centre is great. Dahnen in particular is excellent at attempting to sort out my ageing body.

I've only ever used it for sports massage though, which I wouldn't describe as a 'treat'.

This place is a lot of fun for more of a spa experience:

Brixton Therapy Centre is great. Dahnen in particular is excellent at attempting to sort out my ageing body.

I've only ever used it for sports massage though, which I wouldn't describe as a 'treat'.

This place is a lot of fun for more of a spa experience:

Brixton Therapy Centre do all kinds of massages on site on the high street, and also offer gift vouchers.

It’s alright inside, pretty standard, not posh spa level but clean and professional.

Thanks both. BTC for me. Bath House for mother's day. Sorted!

Aristocrats are portrayed as eccentric rebels who have had difficult childhoods is the line taken. They accidently happen to swan about the world living in different houses.
God, that article was nauseating

Back
Top Bottom