Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I don't have any stake in Halfords, but they've been around for 132 years and, like most shops, welcome anyone through the door.

It is possible that Halfords may not be quite as "welcoming" to all as you believe:

Halfords manager suing company for £1m over alleged race discrimination

A Halfords employee was also found to have been racially harassed at Halfords' store in Brixton, where he worked, by colleague who said he was like "monkeys crying for bananas":

Halfords worker 'racially harassed' and compared to 'monkeys crying for bananas'

I don't have any stake in Halfords, but they've been around for 132 years and, like most shops, welcome anyone through the door. They publish their audited accounts and are owned by literally thousands of people, including pension funds, and little old ladies.
Both have their place and if Brixton Cycles were producing the own brand crap and providing the shit servicing that Halfords do whilst being a plc you might have a point.

Bin lorry just shed its load on Stockwell Road after it went on fire. What a mess & stink. Firefighter told me probably caused by lithium battery dumped in domestic waste - "they're the bane of our lives". We need to use the battery bins in shops.

Attachments

• 20240202_121548.jpg
    20240202_121548.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240202_125142.jpg
    20240202_125142.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 26
Bin lorry just shed its load on Stockwell Road after it went on fire. What a mess & stink. Firefighter told me probably caused by lithium battery dumped in domestic waste - "they're the bane of our lives". We need to use the battery bins in shops.
Not sure they are permitted in battery bins in shops, are they? Probably because they are a fire hazard.

I have to say, that was a really quick co-ordinated clean-up job by our public services

Attachments

• 20240202_131544.jpg
    20240202_131544.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 8
It could be disposable vape batteries which have caused fires in rubbish collection depots. Currys may accept the lithium ones as Halfords and Evans do recycle e-bike and e-scooter lithium batteries.

Not sure they are permitted in battery bins in shops, are they? Probably because they are a fire hazard.
Didn't know that, thanks! I'm guilty of putting old electric toothbrush in shop battery bin. Now found this on Lambeth website:
For electrical items with lithium batteries, such as laptops, tablets, mobile phones and electric toothbrushes, we are able to collect them with the batteries still inside. Used batteries should be put inside a loosely tied-up standard carrier bag and placed on top of your black rubbish bin.

Didn't know that, thanks! I'm guilty of putting old electric toothbrush in shop battery bin. Now found this on Lambeth website:
For electrical items with lithium batteries, such as laptops, tablets, mobile phones and electric toothbrushes, we are able to collect them with the batteries still inside. Used batteries should be put inside a loosely tied-up standard carrier bag and placed on top of your black rubbish bin.
This is a really good scheme. They will also take normal batteries and small electrical appliances (up to toaster size).

Maybe the best thing to do is to get down to Brixton market with a list of things that are important to you, hand it to the people protesting about things that are important to them and tell them to protest about the things that are important to you rather than the things that are important to them.

So what is the background to the protests against Nour?

I use Nour but haven't been when the protests are taking place so don't know the background to this.

I've used Nour for a long time and see it as somewhere that a diverse range of people shop. So I don't see it as in any way racist.

Perhaps if you're going to have a go at another poster you could explain the background to this.

I would be interested to read the statement but the link is for Instagram which I cannot access - they introduced 2 part ID requiring a mobile phone on Instagram some years back and I don;t have one.
Is the text available otherwise?

Its basically saying that the woman in question had been causing a lot of trouble in the shop and was banned.

Then some group got involved who stood outside shop at a later date

That Nour had not been trying to press charges.

Nour had tried to avoid involving police.

Reactions: CH1
Gramsci the campaign video on TikTok suggests a link to the Peckham incident - where an Asian owned black cosmetic shop sparked protests of manhandling instead of customer care.

More on Peckham:

I've read about Peckham.

I have seen the Tik Tok video tonight.

Rather depressing were one minority group start having a go at another.

Last time I was in Brixton Halfords it took me half an hour to get served, the owners have stripped staffing so far back.
Halfords are also really shitty at fixing motor vehicles. I had to take a work van to them (Mitcham branch) a while ago and they were useless time-wasters.

Halfords are also really shitty at fixing motor vehicles.

I don't think i've ever had them do anything more complicated than change a headlamp bulb (i usually do that sort of thing, but that time i was tired, it was raining, and it was a pain in the tail with that car - i think i did lend him the mirror on a stick i bought specifically for that task)

Funnily enough, on the opposite side of the road from The Wellington there was a community asset type pub which is now truly lost: The Clock House
At least I can't find a photo - not on Urban75 lost pubs, not on Lambeth Landmark or Google.
The Clock House was at 156 Clapham Park Road - the bit of Clapham Park Road where the road narrows somewhat dangerously.
I only got to know it in the early 1990s when it had morphed into a "local" gay bar - with militant leather clad lesbians in the public bar and a saloon on the right hand side which had a small raised stage area.
They did drag, male strippers - and bingo!

My understanding is that the pub was sold off by the brewery in the days when Thatcher and successors had broken the brewers' monopolies - and was bought by the 1990s landlord as his plaything.
Evidently he got bored with running a gay bar - maybe not enough profit, too much competition? - and he started a major rebuilt.
The beautiful Victorian facade with suspended clock in the entrance went and the address became an intensely fashionable glass fronted restaurant called "Sand" which had queues down the street to get a table.
Fashions come and go - and the trendy restaurant has now become in international online business school (with flats to rent above)
View attachment 409668
This photo comes from a closed pubs website, and they are seeking information Clock House, Clapham
It would be wonderful if someone had photo - it was definitely a pub of some character
This site has a list of early tenants of the Clock House - but no pictures unfortunately. Clock House, 156 Clapham Park Road, Clapham SW4
Maybe it was always a house of ill repute where no-one wanted to be seen! I can however confirm that Keith Hill addressed a meeting there in 1997 - but then he was always a liberal sort of chap!
Just seen this. We used to go to the quiz night at the Clockhouse back in 1996! I wondered what had happened to it. It always seemed a bit of an out of the way place for a gay bar, but I lived down Acre Lane those days, so I guess it counted as our 'local'.

Reactions: CH1
I remember the Clock House as a gay bar in I think 95-97 when I first moved to Clapham, it was a great alternative to the brewers
I wonder if they advertised in those weekly listings mags like QX, and if someone might have an archived copy?

I have absolutely no doubt Brixton Cycles will raise the 30k needed
Indeed. As of now, Brixton Cycles has raised £24k, so it looks like what I'm thinking is a minority opinion. But... I'm puzzled that a conventional shop, which presumably is meant to be a profit-making concern, is asking for no-strings gifts from the public. No freebies, discount vouchers, merch or perks of any kind. Nor a loan, or perhaps an equity-type instrument that allows participation in profits. Just straight begging, really.

Brixton Cycles stresses its community roots, but has chosen not to establish itself as a "Community Interest Company" ( www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise ), a form that has been devised specifically for such undertakings.

I wonder whether the co-operative ownership of Brixton Cycles has fostered an introverted and un-innovative culture, which while it is reassuringly comfortable for its long-standing staff, does not adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities (reminiscent in this way of Brixton Wholefoods). It looks to me that BC has a modest online retail offering, little social media presence (YouTube: 3 videos and 91 subscribers; insta: last post 18 weeks ago; Twitter: last post in May 2021), and has eschewed the massively growing popularity of ebikes.

I wonder whether BD has a long-term future.

Last edited:
Indeed. As of now, Brixton Cycles has raised £24k, so it looks like what I'm thinking is a minority opinion. But... I'm puzzled that a conventional shop, which presumably is meant to be a profit-making concern, is asking for no-strings gifts from the public. No freebies, discount vouchers, merch or perks of any kind. Nor a loan, or perhaps an equity-type instrument that allows participation in profits. Just straight begging, really.

Brixton Cycles underlines its community roots, but has chosen not to establish itself as a "Community Interest Company" ( www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise ), a form that has been divided specifically for such undertakings.

I wonder whether the co-operative ownership of Brixton Cycles has led to a introverted and un-innovative culture, which is reassuringly comfortable for its long-standing staff, but does not adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities (it reminds in this way of Brixton Wholefoods). It looks to me that BC has a modest online retail offering, little social media presence (YouTube: 3 videos and 91 subscribers; insta: last post 18 weeks ago; Twitter: last post in May 2021), and has missed out on the massively growing popularity of ebikes.

What is their record on taking on/training young people (regardless of whether they are called apprentices)?
That would be one of my key criteria for deciding on whether to support a self-identifying "community business".

Brixton Cycles underlines its community roots, but has chosen not to establish itself as a "Community Interest Company" ( www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise ), a form that has been divided specifically for such undertakings.

I wonder whether the co-operative ownership of Brixton Cycles has led to a introverted and un-innovative culture, which is reassuringly comfortable for its long-standing staff, but does not adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities (it reminds in this way of Brixton Wholefoods). It looks to me that BC has a modest online retail offering, little social media presence (YouTube: 3 videos and 91 subscribers; insta: last post 18 weeks ago; Twitter: last post in May 2021), and has missed out on the massively growing popularity of ebikes.

Tried to buy a bike in Brixton Cycles a couple of years back, waited half an hour to be served then the guy behind the counter was so phenomenally stoned that I literally had to help him locate the model on the computer ... eventually gave up and went elsewhere

There's a lot of love for them (including from me - I have just donated) but there could be something in this. Mrs W took her bike to be serviced last week and they didn't have any posters etc. up about the crowdfunding, which isn't very smart.

More seriously, a neighbour (again, a longstanding customer) reported recently getting poor/unhelpful service there.

I hope this is a blip.

Brixton Cycles stresses its community roots, but has chosen not to establish itself as a "Community Interest Company" ( www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise ), a form that has been devised specifically for such undertakings.

I wonder whether the co-operative ownership of Brixton Cycles has fostered an introverted and un-innovative culture, which while it is reassuringly comfortable for its long-standing staff, does not adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities (reminiscent in this way of Brixton Wholefoods). It looks to me that BC has a modest online retail offering, little social media presence (YouTube: 3 videos and 91 subscribers; insta: last post 18 weeks ago; Twitter: last post in May 2021), and has eschewed the massively growing popularity of ebikes.

Their last instagram post is actually a day or two ago, with Chris Morris promoting the crowdfunder.

It does feel a bit like the Brixton Wholefoods situation to me too. It seems like a straightforward plea for donations.

I’d like them to survive, but have found them so variable over the years I’ve given them up for Edwardes in Camberwell or Herne Hill Cycles instead - both of whom have better stocks of standard spares and are generally more helpful.

I think if you’re into custom builds, or old-school steel bikes, or unusual formats, then BC is probably going to be your go-to shop locally. If it’s a simple service or parts for a mainstream brand then there are better places.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom