Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

More Pearl at the 198
Inspired by the work of Frantz Fanon, curator Francine Mabondo will explore new representations of the Black Subject in the work of Pearl Alcock.

Dust down your copy of "The Wretched of the Earth" and join the fun. I shall be there!

Trigger warning: I understand from the House Music is Queer Black Music lecture last week that although Isaac Julien is liked in the USA, his film on Fanon: Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask was not appreciated because Fanon himself was "not positive" on queer/gay issues and this is reflected in the film.

Wonder what the intelligentsia at the Lambeth Libraries, who are organising this event will say about that. I can't think of anyone less judgmental than Pearl Alcock. In current ideological terms Pearl was probably an "Accepting Evangelical" rather than a Fanonista (in my view at this distance in time).
1660033840238.png1660033957201.png
Frantz Fanon meets Pearl Alcock 198 Railton Road 10/8/22 7pm.

Be interested in knowing what reply you get from Better
helpful reply saying upload it, then after any email from me saying - 'yes but where?' they described the page - which I could not find. They also said the person on reception could do this for me. So I went there today and the person on the desk was very nice and helpful , but could only upload it on their own phone with my log in details. (that did not sound right at all) anyway they gave me a card and eventually said thats all ok now - you dont need to upload anything (?) anyway I see I can now book a swim for £1.15. Hoorah!

Please indulge as I wasn't quite sure which thread to post this in - but it is - at least - Brixton-adjacent. Every night, exactly 125 years ago tonight - just a couple of miles away from where I am right now in Brixton - Britain's biggest celebrity at the time - music hall legend Marie Lloyd, was top of the bill at Grand, Clapham Junction. Look carefully, and - much lower down the bill - is an act called the 4 Poole Pelhams - described here as 'vocalists, acrobats and skipping rope performers.' Elsie Maude Poole, an 'acrobat and dainty contortionist', was my great grandmother. What an amazing historic link.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_232314_2.jpg
    IMG_20220806_232314_2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
Please indulge as I wasn't quite sure which thread to post this in - but it is - at least - Brixton-adjacent. Every night, exactly 125 years ago tonight - just a couple of miles away from where I am right now in Brixton - Britain's biggest celebrity at the time - music hall legend Marie Lloyd, was top of the bill at Grand, Clapham Junction. Look carefully, and - much lower down the bill - is an act called the 4 Poole Pelhams - described here as 'vocalists, acrobats and skipping rope performers.' Elsie Maude Poole, an 'acrobat and dainty contortionist', was my great grandmother. What an amazing historic link.
editor feel free to move this to the history thread, forgot there was one!

I've got a nice follow up to this. I emailed the Clapham Grand and the general manager responded with delight. Up until now they had only suspected that Marie Lloyd had played there and now they finally have documentary evidence and have offered me a tour.

I can't think of any to be honest. All the bigger venues will have their own DJ line ups sorted and he's got little chance of bagging a Saturday night anywhere near the centre.
Is he looking to hire the venue? What sort of crowd numbers does he think he'll pull in? What hours is he hoping to play?
He's looking for a day and night venue with 2 rooms possibly a 3rd for art exhibitions/fashion show (October 15th and 16th) - must have a wkd sound system- ideal times are from 1pm- 3am or later on the Saturday and Sunday from 1pm- at least midnight, capacity of 400'ish would be great- can be flexible about dates , all help appreciated!! Looking to hire the venue.
Cheers for the on point questions!

He's looking for a day and night venue with 2 rooms possibly a 3rd for art exhibitions/fashion show (October 15th and 16th) - must have a wkd sound system- ideal times are from 1pm- 3am or later on the Saturday and Sunday from 1pm- at least midnight, capacity of 400'ish would be great- can be flexible about dates , all help appreciated!! Looking to hire the venue.
Cheers for the on point questions!
It's going to be really hard to find a venue prepared to give up their Saturday night unless they're prepared to pay out shitloads.

I can't think of any two room venues, although the Dogstar could be a possibility as their two upstairs rooms aren't currently open.

Hi any recommendations please, my DJ mate is asking?
"I need a 2 room venue- any ideas in Brixton- October 15th and 16th?", not Jamm or Hoots. It'll probably be tecno and house, ta!
Would he go outside of Brixton? Forge in the City (Cheapside) would fit.

I've found a bicycle in my front garden, here in central Brixton. Let me know if it's yours

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 23
Final plug.....the 198 Gallery Pearl Alcock exhibition ends tomorrow (they are closed today -Saturday)
I went again yesterday, after the lecture/discussion Wednesday.
Seems to me the staff put a lot of effort into this show - and are happy to discuss. I shall miss it.
The 198 Gallery have a Vimeo clip on a loop showing George Melly discussing Pearl's work with the lady herself.
Can't put it up here (privacy settings). I am trying to construct a coherent Youtube channel of juicy titbits like this.

It's going to be really hard to find a venue prepared to give up their Saturday night unless they're prepared to pay out shitloads.

I can't think of any two room venues, although the Dogstar could be a possibility as their two upstairs rooms aren't currently open.
Thanks for the suggestion Ed, I'll pass it on!

Reactions: CH1
What’s with the globe thing that has appeared in windrush square? Haven’t had time to have a proper look but I guess it is some artwork

What’s with the globe thing that has appeared in windrush square? Haven’t had time to have a proper look but I guess it is some artwork

It is apparently part of the World Reimagined Globe Trail

103 unique globes across the UK exploring the history, legacy and future of the Transatlantic Trade in Enslaved Africans through the work of incredible artists.

Last edited:
A man has just dropped his shorts to squat for a piss outside the Ritzy next to the old mile post stone. Too far gone to make any attempt at hiding his arse. Now he's asleep on one of the Ritzy tables. Another man has paddled through the piss. And it's not even that late.
I keep telling people that the Beehive isn't THAT bad, but they don't believe me.
Still Lizz Truss will have the solution: Less cheek and more graft apparently!

Re: https://jod.theworldreimagined.org/trails/london/london:-southwark---lambeth/8I
never thought I would have to say this - but it doesn't work very well on Windows 11!
It's one thing to be a metaphorical Grandad, but to be a great-grandad with one foot in the grave because everyone else is using iPhones is taking capitalism too far!

Still the intention is good, I'm sure.
It works equally badly on this laptop which is still running WIndows 10 (due to some stupid Microsoft thing about not supporting certain Intel chips even though clock speed and all other requirements are met) which makes me think it has only been tested by the cool kid developers on their I-phones and Power-Macs.

Reactions: CH1
Flash flooding on Brixton high street right now but the rain is slacking off.

ETA
Just roved home ( Brixton Hill) garden has hardly had any rain. Looks like the surface water on the high street is all run off from all over.

You can really see the Effra on days like this.

ETAA

I wrote “arrived“ but my autocorrect has a fiercely independent, and sometimes poetic, mind of its own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom