Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

It's the weekend. Anyway it's up to you what you do with your site but doesn't stop people thinking it's a mistake.

It's the weekend. Anyway it's up to you what you do with your site but doesn't stop people thinking it's a mistake.
Well, one random person off Twitter, whose opinion you simply had to share here for some reason.

What's your thoughts on Homes for Lambeth, by the way?

I think it is noteworthy because Bennett is councilor for Gypsy Hill which whilst it seems he isn't running for re-election there, I would have assumed he would spend his campaign time there because the Greens have a councilor there too.

I wonder how hard Labour is fighting that ward, or for that matter, the Greens

There was a stabbing in Electric Avenue on Saturday night. Two taken to hospital after broad daylight stabbing in Brixton I was relieved when I read it because nobody died. Which I suppose explains why it's not been widely reported. It seems our local threshold for "stabbing news" excludes an event where people are merely wounded. Makes me want to live somewhere else. :(
There was also a serious fight outside the Satay Bar on Sunday night that saw two ambulances and several police cars in attendance

1649105814264.png

1649105834706.png

We're going to see loads more of this as Brixton ramps up as a late night tourist attraction for boozers and clubbers.

But most canvassing happens at weekends? People are home and have time to discuss politics on their doorsteps? I think editor had a point

So this was 'tourists'?
You know this how?
I didn't say it was tourists, you fucking idiot. What I did say is that if Brixton continues its trajectory to be a major boozy nightlife destination, more alcohol related violence is pretty much inevitable.

Breaking mutual ignore
I didn't say it was tourists, you fucking idiot. What I did say is that if Brixton continues its trajectory to be a major boozy nightlife destination, more alcohol related violence is pretty much inevitable.
Pre - lockdown i don't remember there being a lot of booze related violence around Brixton, but I stand corrected if there was.
Try and leave the keyboard warrior bit Ed - its unbecoming.You've banned people for less.

Pre - lockdown i don't remember there being a lot of booze related violence around Brixton, but I stand corrected if there was.
Try and leave the keyboard warrior bit Ed - its unbecoming.You've banned people for less.
Since lockdown has lifted, Brixton has become far more popular.

And I've definitely seen more aggro on the streets recently, including my former local the Albert where I saw someone get glassed recently.

I'm putting us both on mutual ignore from now on because I don't want to hear your shitty little personal digs anymore

There was also a serious fight outside the Satay Bar on Sunday night that saw two ambulances and several police cars in attendance

View attachment 317133

View attachment 317134

We're going to loads more of this as Brixton ramps up as a late night tourist attraction for boozers and clubbers.

Bloody boozers & clubbers.

Since lockdown has lifted, Brixton has become far more popular.

And I've definitely seen more aggro on the streets recently, including my former local the Albert where I saw someone get glassed recently.

I'm putting us both on mutual ignore from now on because I don't want to hear your shitty little personal digs anymore

im not sure how the mutual ignore thing works, a quick search shows this is the 3rd such sanction on Mr paulee this year....

Bloody boozers & clubbers.

I see you've popped up once again to make another personal dig. Grow the fuck up.

And as for increased tourism, Lambeth is recommending the building of a 96 bedroom budget hotel in the heart of Brixton to bring more people into the area. With all the new bars being opened, I'd suggest that increased alcohol related violence is likely. What's your opinion?

Anyone with information regarding the stabbing of a man in his 60s in Stockwell Road, close to its junction with Brixton Road, at 3.15 p.m. yesterday afternoon (Monday 4 April 2022) is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference CAD 3911/04Apr. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111:

Man stabbed in central Brixton

Anyone with information regarding the stabbing of a 16-year old child in St Matthew's Road at around 7.30 p.m. yesterday evening (Monday 4 April 2022), resulting in life-threatening injuries, is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 6036/04Apr. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Is it worse than usual, or do we say the same every year?

There must be a lot of people carrying knives. Haven't seen anyone being searched for years. Maybe the cops try to avoid doing it where lots of people can see.

I really don't like the encouraging of night life at the expense of local residents and daytime businesses. I feel Lambeth doesn't doesn't care about its existing residents and shoppers and only wants to swop them for richer new ones.
Another way to look at it is that some of the councillors and staff do care about the residents at the bottom of the heap, who need more social care and support than ever, and they'll do almost anything to get money to pay for services. Antisocial venues are a necessary evil, because of the business rates they pay and the staff they employ. Without all the drunken, shouting, vomiting, pissing, drink-driving, stabbing punters, how would Brixton cope?

I really don't like the encouraging of night life at the expense of local residents and daytime businesses. I feel Lambeth doesn't doesn't care about its existing residents and shoppers and only wants to swop them for richer new ones.
might reduce the number of stabbings...

Another way to look at it is that some of the councillors and staff do care about the residents at the bottom of the heap, who need more social care and support than ever, and they'll do almost anything to get money to pay for services. Antisocial venues are a necessary evil, because of the business rates they pay and the staff they employ. Without all the drunken, shouting, vomiting, pissing, drink-driving, stabbing punters, how would Brixton cope?
surely 'Anti social venues' dont pay any more rates than any other businesses? with the extra street cleaning and nuicance complaints needed - I don't beleive that adds up to more income in Lambeth councils coffers.

surely 'Anti social venues' dont pay any more rates than any other businesses? with the extra street cleaning and nuicance complaints needed - I don't beleive that adds up to more income in Lambeth councils coffers.
I thought business rates went to the government anyway?

Back
Top Bottom