Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Traffic lights out by the town hall and things much calmer with drivers having to be cautious not having an obvious priority. Makes me think this junction could be designed a lot better.

Now been told the new boiler for the Rec won't be in place until April. Was told it was going to be February.

So until pool temperatures will be below what they should be.

Good thing that this winter has been mild so far.

Environmental guidance required

Where do you put dead low energy bulbs these days?
I've got several of the antique fluorescent type
1645443123336.png
and will have several more coming up.

There used to be a street bin on Loughboriough Road - but I think the contractor went bust some years back.
Currys Argos etc do electircal items and batteries, but don't mention LE fluorescent bulbs.

Any suggestions?

Environmental guidance required

Where do you put dead low energy bulbs these days?
I've got several of the antique fluorescent type
View attachment 311247
and will have several more coming up.

There used to be a street bin on Loughboriough Road - but I think the contractor went bust some years back.
Currys Argos etc do electircal items and batteries, but don't mention LE fluorescent bulbs.

Any suggestions?

Both Lambeth recycling centers (W Norwood and Smugglers Way) will take them

Both Lambeth recycling centers (W Norwood and Smugglers Way) will take them
I've got a bag of old bulbs and small electrical bits and bobs, that I've not known what to do with since the local bins in herne hill disappeared.

Are there no local facilities anymore? Don't think either of those centres are easy to access on public transport.

I've got a bag of old bulbs and small electrical bits and bobs, that I've not known what to do with since the local bins in herne hill disappeared.

Are there no local facilities anymore? Don't think either of those centres are easy to access on public transport.
You can get to Vale Street on the 322. It stops right outside but it’s on the hail and ride section.

I've always dropped lightbulbs at currys along with other small electronic items like cables, wires, chargers. They tell you to dump a bag by the desk on your left as you walk in.

Last edited:
Theres no firm development proposals, but this will allocate the site for that purpose in the local plan. New supermarket, smaller car park and flats on top yes.
Feels like they have given planning permission already you just need to roll up with some cash

i'm nowhere near brixton, but possibly worth checking you're even allowed in as a pedestrian. round here you're not allowed in the tip (or recycling centre or whatever fancy name it's got these days) except in a car...

Are all these proposed sites property of Lambeth Council and what they are trying to do is encourage with their permission developers to come along and
'realise the potential' of the land?

No most are private.

However in the case of LJ. See LJ thread the two private sites their are contentious.

Looks to me like Lambeth are saying to developers you can cram a lot into these sites with our blessing.

i'm nowhere near brixton, but possibly worth checking you're even allowed in as a pedestrian. round here you're not allowed in the tip (or recycling centre or whatever fancy name it's got these days) except in a car...
I've entered Vale street on foot with no problem.

Reactions: CH1
Feels like they have given planning permission already you just need to roll up with some cash
Well a site allocation formally establishes the principal of development on that site, and is supposed to give some outline detail of what it will look like and how it will be used. So there's a degree of certainty for owners, developers, neighbours etc.

Lots of local authorities are now looking at supermarkets in inner london - the amount of car parking they have and how infrequently that parking is actually fully used means in lots of ways its an inefficient use of land. Particularly given development pressure and need for new housing

Making better use of the Tesco and Halfords sites is surely a good move in principle and long overdue. What that means in practice is another question. But I think the consultation documents they have produced are pretty hard for most people to engage with with and comment on in a meaningful way.

I've entered Vale street on foot with no problem.
Vale street was totally accessible for pedestrians pre Covid - but it's a bloody long ride on the 322 from Coldharbour Lane.
Last time I took a heavy electrical item (computer CRT screen) on the 322 the vibrations from the diesel engine cause my trolley and load to collapse.
I suppose one could argue that a taxi or man-with-a-van might be required in such cases - especially as Lambeth's bulky items service is £17 apparently.

Making better use of the Tesco and Halfords sites is surely a good move in principle and long overdue. What that means in practice is another question. But I think the consultation documents they have produced are pretty hard for most people to engage with with and comment on in a meaningful way.
I wouldn't disagree that the way they're presented is unlikely to get a very broad range of people to respond - but I actually think Lambeth are doing a reasonable job here. Planning is a complex process to a large extent - the way this is being done (other boroughs using same/similar formats as well) does present the underlying evidence and analysis as well as the 'visions' in a much better way than this was being done relatively recently.

That said - there's a bit of a gap between the evidence and their conclusions on several sites IMO.

Back
Top Bottom