Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Im on CHL in bit that is CPZ. My tumble dryer broke down so on Friday they sent someone to fix it (Its still under gaurentee) Guy who turned up asked if I had permit for him. Asked me where to park. Wasn't happy. Had the same from people who do annual gas safety check.

Whose responsibility is it when through no fault of your own you have trades person visiting property?

I don't own a car so not up to knowing about parking in detail.

Im on CHL in bit that is CPZ. My tumble dryer broke down so on Friday they sent someone to fix it (Its still under gaurentee) Guy who turned up asked if I had permit for him. Asked me where to park. Wasn't happy. Had the same from people who do annual gas safety check.

Whose responsibility is it when through no fault of your own you have trades person visiting property?

I have the exact same issue.
For 4 weeks from 7th Jan my phone and/or internet was off.
I had (co-incidentally) my first engineer call on a Saturday -which is not controlled parking.
The second engineer (to remedy still faulty situation) phoned me - as you have describe - and actually refused to do the job because I didn't have a permit.
PlusNet (for it was they) sent another engineer the next Saturday - but he did not do the job as it involved internal wiring the first engineer had fucked up. The first engineer was responsible for outisde wiring. The second for inside wiring,
I started to feel like a cross between Joseph K in a Kafka novel and a vox pop person on Esther Rantzen's "That's Life" - remember the Jobs' Worth awards?
To their credit PlusNet got a fourth engineer out three days later (on a Tuesday). PlusNet assured me that this was going to be an Openreach engineer and they would be able to park. And lo - it was so. And the man did the job. Hallelujah. Compensation was paid.

I can't tell you if in my case it was down to the man driving an Openreach van - or having a standing order with the council or what.
Maybe BT Operneach use free-lancers with their own vans? I think we should be told. In any case the original fault was in Cabinet 22 - next to "Friendship Adventure" he said.

Regarding domestic appliances - I have a dead washing machine in my basement kitchen which has needed replacement since before Covid.
I just can't raise the mental energy to try organising this. I'm sure it will involve hassle about permits, plumbing, and God know what.
Acouple of people did ,make suggestions on here a year ago. Procrastination is the thief of time. (Edward Young)

I had (co-incidentally) my first engineer call on a Saturday -which is not controlled parking.
The second engineer (to remedy still faulty situation) phoned me - as you have describe - and actually refused to do the job because I didn't have a permit.
PlusNet (for it was they) sent another engineer the next Saturday - but he did not do the job as it involved internal wiring the first engineer had fucked up. The first engineer was responsible for outisde wiring. The second for inside wiring,
I started to feel like a cross between Joseph K in a Kafka novel and a vox pop person on Esther Rantzen's "That's Life" - remember the Jobs' Worth awards?
To their credit PlusNet got a fourth engineer out three days later (on a Tuesday). PlusNet assured me that this was going to be an Openreach engineer and they would be able to park. And lo - it was so. And the man did the job. Hallelujah. Compensation was paid.

I can't tell you if in my case it was down to the man driving an Openreach van - or having a standing order with the council or what.
Maybe BT Operneach use free-lancers with their own vans? I think we should be told. In any case the original fault was in Cabinet 22 - next to "Friendship Adventure" he said.

Regarding domestic appliances - I have a dead washing machine in my basement kitchen which has needed replacement since before Covid.
I just can't raise the mental energy to try organising this. I'm sure it will involve hassle about permits, plumbing, and God know what.
Acouple of people did ,make suggestions on here a year ago. Procrastination is the thief of time. (Edward Young)

I looked this up.

There are two kinds of permits for visitors. One was domestic use. Ie friends visiting. These cannot be used for visiting tradespeople.

Either the business the tradesperson works for or the resident can apply for a CPZ zone permit for visitor doing works on your property. This costs Twenty two pounds a day.

A visitors permit for non business visitors is different. Costs less but you need to buy them as well.

Visitor parking vouchers for five permits.

To do either you have to set up online account with Lambeth parking. Requiring uploading evidence which takes 10 days to be verified.

Paper scratch card permits are no longer available.

Despite one of my Cllrs going on about people should be able to pay for services in cash.

So Imo its out of order to be expected to pay for a permit for visiting tradesperson to fix broken stuff under gaurentee. This is responsibility of of the business to sort out. Given the world we live in I expect business dump the problem onto the individual worker.

Also I'm not supposed to use a non work permit for a visiting trades person. Got distinct feeling that is what the guy who visited my place wanted me to do. To get permit for visiting tradesperson your supposed to upload evidence of the job and pay more. Also its a misuse of permit if I give a non work visitors permit to a trades person working on my property. So I should pay 22 pounds per visit. In this case requires second visit as parts had to be ordered. So in theory I'm supposed to pay 44 pounds for two visits if I agreed it was my responsibility. Which it isn't imo.

I don't want to grass people up but having someone visit my property to do necessary works under a gaurentee and moaning at me about not having a permit is annoying. Nothing was said when I phone up about the broken appliance.

Last edited:

I can plumb in and take out washing machines ( usually need to have a look first). If u need a hand. Otherwise you will be charged a lot to do straightforward job.

I got mine from Currys. For extra 20 pound they took away my old one. Needs to be disconnected first. Currys have never gone on about parking to me. And I've had a couple of appliances delivered by them.

Alternatively Is Lambeth bulk waste removal. In Lambeth unlike some other boroughs one has to pay.

After argument with Lambeth and finally intervention of my Cllr Lambeth generously allowed me to pay them to take away my old fridge. This after kept telling me they couldn't do bulk waste removal from my property. I'm not surprised on our bit of CHL stuff just gets dumped outside.

....when we have something like gas safety check which is quick we just use street parking meter saves a lot of faffing about and cheaper than coughing up for permit, longer unpredictable jobs are a p.i.t.a though.

....when we have something like gas safety check which is quick we just use street parking meter saves a lot of faffing about and cheaper than coughing up for permit, longer unpredictable jobs are a p.i.t.a though.

I don't have any near me. Its CPZ resident only parking on my section of CHL. With no metered parking.

I don't think it should be up to me to sort out.

I don't have any near me. Its CPZ resident only parking on my section of CHL. With no metered parking.

I don't think it should be up to me to sort out.
No it should not, that is true, our gasman has an app on his phone anyway but I think it probably gets added to the bill...

Begging around the tube is getting quite aggressive in past few weeks.
Numerous occasions seen people followed after saying no several times, few times had their bags handled off their shoulders.

Paper scratch card permits are no longer available.

Despite one of my Cllrs going on about people should be able to pay for services in cash.
Are the scratch card permits still valid? - I still have some from years ago that I got for visitors, from when you could by them in person in cash from an office near the town hall. They dont have any use by date on them. I'll be annoyed if they don't work now as I don't have a car and don't keep up with the restrictions ( or have many visitors who drive either.)

Are the scratch card permits still valid? - I still have some from years ago that I got for visitors, from when you could by them in person in cash from an office near the town hall. They dont have any use by date on them. I'll be annoyed if they don't work now as I don't have a car and don't keep up with the restrictions ( or have many visitors who drive either.)
The old ones can still be used but you can’t buy them anymore

1645105928178.png

The Brixton Gym seems to be turning into a regular gig. The noise doesn't bother me in the slightest but it can be heard booming across the estate and I'd suggest it might be prudent for the organisers to look into some soundproofing.

I'm in the new Brixton Windrush ward. Got my electoral register letter with info on new wards.

Brixton Windrush appears to cover Barrier block, moorlands and bits of poets corner as well as Brixton market area.

Its a two Cllr ward.

Candidates for Labour are existing Coldharbour ward Cllrs Scarlett Ohara and Cllr Donatus.

Really like to see Donatus lose. Always backs the leadership and his career is based on being a Blairite. Even if he denies that. Never questions officers. Ever.

Scarlett Is well meaning but isn't going to rock the boat.

I won't be voting Labour. For national and local reasons.

I'm in the new Brixton Windrush ward. Got my electoral register letter with info on new wards.

Brixton Windrush appears to cover Barrier block, moorlands and bits of poets corner as well as Brixton market area.

Its a two Cllr ward.

Candidates for Labour are existing Coldharbour ward Cllrs Scarlett Ohara and Cllr Donatus.

Really like to see Donatus lose. Always backs the leadership and his career is based on being a Blairite. Even if he denies that. Never questions officers.

That'll be the man who knocked on my door a few weeks back then.

That'll be the man who knocked on my door a few weeks back then.

So the election has already started. Was thinking of starting an Election thread.

Cllr Donatus and Scarlett old Ward Coldharbour was composed of large Council estates so was one that was always Labour. Little or no canvassing as it was considered however much locals didn't like Council they had no where else to go in voting terms. Only time I saw them out in force was when ex Cllr Rachel stood as independent. Apart from canvassing they were going around getting community groups to support them.

The new Brixton Windrush Ward is an unknown to the Labour party.

Cllr Donatus likes going around chatting. Waffles a lot.

So the election has already started. Was thinking of starting an Election thread.

Cllr Donatus and Scarlett old Ward Coldharbour was composed of large Council estates so was one that was always Labour. Little or no canvassing as it was considered however much locals didn't like Council they had no where else to go in voting terms. Only time I saw them out in force was when ex Cllr Rachel stood as independent. Apart from canvassing they were going around getting community groups to support them.

I've never met either of them and they've never bothered to get in touch, unlike Rachel Heywood.

He certainly kept asking for my vote, should have stuck to my habit of not answering the door.

Its a two Cllr ward.

Really like to see Donatus lose. Always backs the leadership and his career is based on being a Blairite. Even if he denies that. Never questions officers. Ever.

A Fair deal for Property Developers!

A Fair deal for Property Developers!

Cllr Scarlett did oppose the Hondo application. Thing is if it hadn't been for the Stop Hondo campaign and the large local opposition I don't think the Labour group would have allowed a ward Cllr to do that.

Lambeth Labour Cllrs would never initiate a campaign. Same thing with the Grove Adventure playground. None of them supported keeping the land for young people. They will support it now. But supported officers when they were pushing for it to be a "development site". I think when they finally allowed it to stay they thought it wouldn't work out. They've never put money into it.

Ex Cllr Rachel supported listing the Rec. None of the other Cllrs did. Council officers opposed the listing. It was another black mark for Cllr Rachel that she did support listing.

So on this record I won't be voting Labour in May.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom