Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Kind of a shame they didn't extend it a little further then! Although perhaps most end of line points have quite long tunnels going bast the terminus?

I discovered over Christmas my father in law worked on the Victoria Line construction. He was an engineering student of some sort and worked on it whilst doing that. Maybe holidays?

I think they extended it a few years ago so that trains can move past the station in case of faults etc. previously a broken down train would affect a huge chunk of the line.

Thanks to the improved lighting in front of the cultural archives, the dealers have relocated to the library. There's also a prostitute there but one of the dealers is harrassing her.

Blue plaque for Darcus Howe on Brixton’s Railton Road

FH3Ba9UWYAIVttU

FH3ZPGxXMAEY7Xy

Footage appears here:

Re altnet internet connection coverage - community fibre and hyperoptic cover quite a lot of Brixton now

60CE7480-7EA4-440A-AE12-5053C9917541.jpeg

Purple is hyperoptic and black is CommunityFibre, g.network are rolling out between acre lane and kings ave and Brixton hill as well - but not yet available - saw them rolling out on strathleven road - which will have 5 internet providers including bt and virgin !

Actual map is here

Interesting to see that the Victoria Line extends as far as the western part of the Moorlands Estate.

Kind of a shame they didn't extend it a little further then! Although perhaps most end of line points have quite long tunnels going bast the terminus?

I think they extended it a few years ago so that trains can move past the station in case of faults etc. previously a broken down train would affect a huge chunk of the line.

Judging from the map it looks like this building on Somerleyton Rd is a Tfl structure which has access to the tunnel Google Maps

fairly sure that the 'Brixton sidings' and ventilation shaft / access point thing on Somerleyton Road have been there since the line was extended to Brixton in the early 70s. Wikipedia has reference to it being refurbished between 2009 - 2014.

Underground 'working timetables' are public domain here - while the only proper depot on the Victoria Line is at Northumberland Park, they show that the sidings at Brixton are used to 'stable' a couple of trains overnight, to start the service from the Brixton end up (there's also sidings at Victoria and beyond the terminus platforms at Walthamstow Central) which are also used for overnight parking. (the one at Kings Cross isn't)

(this has a detailed map of London's railways showing sidings and individual tracks in proper geographic map form not diagram)

What became the Victoria Line was planned (originally as far back as the 1943/4 plans for post-war London reconstruction) with a view to heading in the general direction of Croydon, although don't think any of the 'south of Brixton' ideas got as far as firm proposals.

Re altnet internet connection coverage - community fibre and hyperoptic cover quite a lot of Brixton now

View attachment 308902

Purple is hyperoptic and black is CommunityFibre, g.network are rolling out between acre lane and kings ave and Brixton hill as well - but not yet available - saw them rolling out on strathleven road - which will have 5 internet providers including bt and virgin !

Actual map is here

That's good to see. We are with Community Fibre which are ok but don't try and get help online if anything goes wrong. Call and call again till it's fixed

View attachment 308902

Actual map is here

Can you explain what is going on to a sexagenatian?
I live in Coldharbour Lane - Brixton side of LJ. This is not hyperbolic nor Community Fibre - but rather G.Network.
G.Network seem pretty desperate to get customers right now - promising 6 months free broadband on sign-up.
Sending an offer letter every week. At this rate they wilt go the way the tiddler energy providers.

With G.Network you can't have a phone - unless you have a mobile phone - apparently.
There is certainly no mention of phone service on G.Network literature or their website.

Having just endured a month of phone cut off and three weeks of internet cut off from PlusNet, or should I say BT Openreach, I was naturally keen to investigate the alternatives. However it does not end there.

By 2025 BT are allegedly ceasing all their copper exchange wires - meaning every BT fed customer would at least heave to have a new
1644095079214.png
Hub 2 router - which apparently "supports thew new digital standard for landline phones.
Which then means you have to junk your old phone extensions and use a BT cordless phone.

Actually Coldhabrbour Lane is not wired for BT/PlusNet.Sky/EE fibre to your home right now - so the best that can be done is their compromise product Fibre to Cabinet (commonly know as Slow Fibre).

I say Baah Humbug. My broadband over copper is OK for me, except for their constant price-rises designed to drive the customer into a fibre contract.

Well Mr alex_ what is the clever cost-effective way to sign up to G.Network AND keep a phone service without taking out a mobile contract?
I'm surprised in a way that the Green Party nationally doesn't take this up. The propensity of Big Business to force customers to take out multiple contracts for similar services.
Its a techno-variant of supermarket over-packaging.

So - all of these altnet providers are installing fibre either underground in bt ducts - today I saw g fibre running fibre into ducts on strathleven, I’ve seen hyperoptic running fibre into ducts in Brixton hill or you can see community fibre gear on bt poles on Leander road ( and I’m sure loads of other places ).

This means this is pretty different to sse sending you a bill rather than British Gas for the same electric and gas wires. This is because hyperoptic ( etc ) actually owns the infrastructure ( but rents the poles or ducts they are connected too ) which your internet connections runs on.

It’s looks like gnetwork doesn’t offer phones - but I think community fibre and hyperoptic do.

So you can get an alternative to bt - but you’ll need to buy an internet phone - voice over ip or voip. This is like a phone number which you have software which connects to the phone number using your internet connection. an expensive version of this is zoom phone which costs 8 quid per month or 12 quid with unlimited U.K. calls and is a phone integrated into the zoom app.

Alex

Last edited:
So - all of these altnet providers are installing fibre either underground in bt ducts - today I saw g fibre running fibre into ducts on strathleven, I’ve seen hyperoptic running fibre into ducts in Brixton hill or you can see community fibre gear on bt poles on Leander road ( and I’m sure loads of other places ).

This means this is pretty different to sse sending you a bill rather than British Gas for the same electric and gas wires. This is because hyperoptic ( etc ) actually owns the infrastructure ( but rents the poles or ducts they are connected too ) which your internet connections runs on.

It’s looks like gnetwork doesn’t offer phones - but I think community fibre and hyperoptic do.

So you can get an alternative to bt - but you’ll need to buy an internet phone - voice over ip or voip. This is like a phone number which you have software which connects to the phone number using your internet connection. an expensive version of this is zoom phone which costs 8 quid per month or 12 quid with unlimited U.K. calls and is a phone integrated into the zoom app.

Alex
I do use a VOIP service to ring Ghana @ 21 Eurocents a minute + VAT, compared to BT/Plusnet £1.05 per minute.
This VOIP is German (PoivY) and is like a cut-down voice only version of Skype and been around as long.
Calls to UK landlines are free, but UK mobiles are 7.5 Eurocents/minute (+VAT of 20%)

It did prove useful whilst the phone was cut off - and also works over a Chromebook app.
Maybe that's the answer - use my Chromebook as a phone and go for G.Network?

I do use a VOIP service to ring Ghana @ 21 Eurocents a minute + VAT, compared to BT/Plusnet £1.05 per minute.
This VOIP is German (PoivY) and is like a cut-down voice only version of Skype and been around as long.
Calls to UK landlines are free, but UK mobiles are 7.5 Eurocents/minute (+VAT of 20%)

It did prove useful whilst the phone was cut off - and also works over a Chromebook app.
Maybe that's the answer - use my Chromebook as a phone and go for G.Network?
Thats what I do as well; I have a us-based google voice account i use for international calls. It costs anything from 1p per minute to 20p per minute. Ghana is .16p
I had to get a mate in the USA to let me use their address to set it up.
VOIP is the future. And the present.

Reactions: CH1
alex_ Torpid Scorpion - the problem I foresee with VOIP is the incoming calls.
You (or I at least) have to have a number for the GP to ring. My GP surgery refused to see patients in person years before COVID, so unlikely to revert to what we traditionally expect from a GP.
Likewise the bank. I use the Co-op and the Halifax - both of which are apt to ring to confirm card purchases or money tranfers.

It all points to compulsory mobile phone contracts I reckon.

You (or I at least) have to have a number for the GP to ring. My GP surgery refused to see patients in person years before COVID, so unlikely to revert to what we traditionally expect from a GP.
Likewise the bank. I use the Co-op and the Halifax - both of which are apt to ring to confirm card purchases or money tranfers.

You can have an incoming voip number.

You can have an incoming voip number.
Exactly. Im not a particular fan of google (surveillance state) but the google voice app on my phone rings, and also delivers incoming SMS texts.
Just as mobile phone service today is much crappier in terms of quality and reliability than our old wired BT phones were back in the 80’s, the voip future points to lower cost, more diy effort, and crappier quality but most people are ok with that, so it will almost certainly win out. Companies like BT and virgin will continue to bundle services, increasingly with ‘entertainment’ as the government slays the BBC, to people who just want one bill.

fairly sure that the 'Brixton sidings' and ventilation shaft / access point thing on Somerleyton Road have been there since the line was extended to Brixton in the early 70s. Wikipedia has reference to it being refurbished between 2009 - 2014.

Underground 'working timetables' are public domain here - while the only proper depot on the Victoria Line is at Northumberland Park, they show that the sidings at Brixton are used to 'stable' a couple of trains overnight, to start the service from the Brixton end up (there's also sidings at Victoria and beyond the terminus platforms at Walthamstow Central) which are also used for overnight parking. (the one at Kings Cross isn't)

(this has a detailed map of London's railways showing sidings and individual tracks in proper geographic map form not diagram)

What became the Victoria Line was planned (originally as far back as the 1943/4 plans for post-war London reconstruction) with a view to heading in the general direction of Croydon, although don't think any of the 'south of Brixton' ideas got as far as firm proposals.
Do you have any planning info about the speed of the Victoria line and the spacing of the stations? It seems to me that it's twice as fast as other lines because the distance between stns is long and the trains get to a much faster cruising speed. (A boon for commuters and a spur to gentrification. But lets not go there.)

Do you have any planning info about the speed of the Victoria line and the spacing of the stations? It seems to me that it's twice as fast as other lines because the distance between stns is long and the trains get to a much faster cruising speed. (A boon for commuters and a spur to gentrification. But lets not go there.)

Not really, but yes, longer distance between stations will help - I haven't tried to work out the maths, but would have thought on some lines the sticking point is how close some of the stations are together (like Leicester Square / Covent Garden on the Piccadilly line.)

Don't know enough to say whether the Victoria Line trains do go significantly faster than other lines, the acceleration away from stations feels a bit faster than some lines, though, and the average start to stop speed (from end to end) will be higher if you're not stopping so often.

One thing the Victoria Line has got which not all the others have is latest generation automatic train operation - the 'drivers' (or train operators or whatever they are called this week) don't actually do the driving (except in emergencies and probably for moves in and out of depots etc), they just press a 'go' button. This means the acceleration / braking / speed is optimised by the technology, and I read somewhere that this means they can run a more frequent service by slowing trains down a bit when they start getting close to the one in front, rather than getting so close that they have to come to a stop at a red signal like traditionally controlled / signalled trains.

Last edited:

You can actually buy a voip hard phone which you configure with your “voip login” and just acts as a regular phone but it’s actually internet/wifi connected not wired to bt.

Reactions: CH1
Possibly 6.
We binned of 30mnps on sky for £30 and got a three 5g router that chucks out around 800 thingys. For £26 pm.

Incidentally - openreach have said fibre will come to Brixton area between April 2022 and April 2025.

There will be places in Brixton which will have 5 different gigabit options !
Possibly an argument for waiting for the BT offering then.
I have a friend in Ipswich who changed back to BT from Talktalk to get full fibre recently - and has a package with "unlimited" calls (I think its 700 minutes) including to mobiles for £28 per month all in. Sounds good to me - but doubtless it might rocket at end of contract.

Possibly an argument for waiting for the BT offering then.
I have a friend in Ipswich who changed back to BT from Talktalk to get full fibre recently - and has a package with "unlimited" calls (I think its 700 minutes) including to mobiles for £28 per month all in. Sounds good to me - but doubtless it might rocket at end of contract.

Yes - it’s bt it’ll definitely rocket at end of contract

Incidentally - openreach have said fibre will come to Brixton area between April 2022 and April 2025.

There will be places in Brixton which will have 5 different gigabit options !
G.Network is launching a "social tariff" apparently.
G.Network launched their Essential Fibre package for Londoners on lower incomes. The new tariff costs just £15 per month, for which customers receive an unlimited 50Mbps download speed and 15Mbps upload on a 1-year contract, with a free connection and included router.
Essential Fibre available to Londoners who are receiving certain levels of Income Support, Jobseekers’ Allowance, Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit. As part of this the ISP will carry out a simple annual eligibility check with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

No use to a pensioner not on benefits like myself - but there you are.
I see G.Network are backed by the Universities Superannuation Scheme - so that's where all those student fees are going (so the lecturers can retire to Benidorm or wherever).
London Full Fibre ISP G.Network Launch Cheaper Social Tariff

P.S. G.Network were pleased to entertain Boris last November. Yuck! G Network welcomes the Prime Minister to the G.Network Engineering Yard and Fibre Academy

Not really, but yes, longer distance between stations will help - I haven't tried to work out the maths, but would have thought on some lines the sticking point is how close some of the stations are together (like Leicester Square / Covent Garden on the Piccadilly line.)

Don't know enough to say whether the Victoria Line trains do go significantly faster than other lines, the acceleration away from stations feels a bit faster than some lines, though, and the average start to stop speed (from end to end) will be higher if you're not stopping so often.

One thing the Victoria Line has got which not all the others have is latest generation automatic train operation - the 'drivers' (or train operators or whatever they are called this week) don't actually do the driving (except in emergencies and probably for moves in and out of depots etc), they just press a 'go' button. This means the acceleration / braking / speed is optimised by the technology, and I read somewhere that this means they can run a more frequent service by slowing trains down a bit when they start getting close to the one in front, rather than getting so close that they have to come to a stop at a red signal like traditionally controlled / signalled trains.
I thought that Walthamstow to seven sisters was still a manual operation?

Back
Top Bottom