Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Not sure whos worse, the people trying to give out the fines (have been on the receiving end of these before, though not in Lambeth, and its infuriating), or the entitled prick letting his dog run around and leave its disgusting mess on the floor. I don't know why other dog walkers would intervene in his favour, since he is clearly a bad egg of their little community.

postscript.... took the dog out today, by the cafe someone had left 2 mountains of shite, I don’t like picking up other people’s leavings but I did. A bit further round and my dog turns one out, as I go to pick it up I am conscious of another dog shitting ten feet from me but didn’t see if the owners picked up, walked on in ignorance and stood in summat slimy so there s my answer, the culprits were off in front and out the park before I had chance to have a word.....☹️

Last edited:
No fuck him, kids play in the park. Fine him and destroy his pets.
I meant, fining the odd errent cigarette smoker in a hurry to catch the tube at 9am on a Sunday morning seems a bit mean to me.

Inconsiderate dog owners should be sent for a stint of unpaid work mucking out & changing litter trays at Battersea, and banned from owning a dog again.

Last edited:
This is the Late Hilda Lockert who was robbed as she returned to her flat at Langport House in Overton Road, SW9 on 30 April 2001.

Her cash (£15), bus pass and a shopping bag were taken ...

50516159-10204593-image-a-1_1636997316962.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

... the attack left her with multiple injuries including an injury to her head and multiple bruises to both arms and a fractured knee and she was admitted to hospital where she had an operation. Unfortunately, she developed a blood clot and subsequently died in hospital on her 86th birthday on 15 May 2001, after she went into cardiac arrest.

Medical reports concluded that there was a “clear medical and real causal relationship” between the fracture to Ms Lockert's knee and her death, the cause of which was a pulmonary embolus - a blood clot that moved from her legs and cut off the blood supply to her lungs.

Following initial enquiries, local youth Junior Young (then aged 18, and resident on Angell Town Estate) was arrested on 5 June 2001. He denied any involvement in the attack.
In 2015, a forensic scientist re-examined samples taken from the handles of Ms Lockert's shopping bag, and using the extremely sensitive Low Copy Number DNA method he concluded the sample taken from the bag was one billion times more likely to have come from the defendant, Hilda Lockert and another unrelated person, than from Hilda Lockert and two other unrelated people.

Earlier today, Junior Young, now aged 39. was convicted of the manslaughter and robbery of Ms Lockert after denying involvement and claiming that his DNA could have been transferred onto the shopping bag from the 'real' robber.

Hilda Lockert Walk in north Brixton has been named after the late Ms Lockert in her memory.

22191824-727b7ae8-a7a4-4b67-9b56-abd651213e5f.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Junior Young will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on Monday 20 December 2021.

18 years' imprisonment ...

22191824-727b7ae8-a7a4-4b67-9b56-abd651213e5f.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Sentencing, Judge Nigel Lickley said Mrs Lockert was an independent and active person who was a “popular and respected” member of the community.

He told Junior Young: “She was pulled with force backwards and taken to the ground when you and your accomplice rummaged through her coat.

Mrs Lockert was just short of 5ft in height, she was vulnerable and you chose to rob her.”

“This was callous and very serious offending.

“Those who knew Mrs Lockert were shocked and alarmed at what you had done in their community.”

The judge noted the defendant had attacked his victim to fund a crack cocaine habit and would resort to “reckless and aggressive behaviour”.

He told the defendant that his actions had caused “untold upset” to many people.

Judge Lickley sentenced Young to 18 years in prison for manslaughter and five years for robbery, to run concurrently.

50516159-10204593-image-a-1_1636997316962.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Mrs Lockert had lived on the same Brixton estate since it was built. Despite being robbed “several times” she refused to move away from the home she had shared with her husband. At the time of her death, Mrs Lockert's husband of 60 years had moved into a care home because he was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. He never got the chance to say goodbye and did not understand where she had gone.

Before Christmas was told that the projected date for the new boiler to be working is February. So another winter of cold Rec.

Its not just the boiler that is the problem. The heating units for the changing rooms haven't worked properly for years. Need total replacement. The pipework associated with the boilers also needs replacing/ fixing.

The Rec building is structurally in good condition. Its well made concrete structure.

However things like pipework have come to the end of their life and need replacing. Also from what I've seen ongoing planned maintenance over the years hasn't happpened. Its always been reacting to breakdowns and patching up.

After the listing of the Rec the Council has given up on idea of disposing of site or messing around with the internals of the building.

Money was set aside to replace plant at the the end of its life. Some work has been done such as upgrading the fire alarm system.

The rest of the works from what I've seen have at times ground to a halt.

The survey of the roof to find out where leaks are was only done before Christmas.

Council excuse is that its has high turnover of staff. So every time officers get to grips with the scheme they leave and next officers start from scratch.

IMO the Council have a problem with managing schemes. Look at LJ Works ( unfinished for over a year) and the Somerleyton Road project.

Schemes like the Good Growth Fund for "regenerating" Brixton Station Road and Rec do seem to have officers put in charge of them.

But when it comes to what should be regular / planned maintenance of Rec its just not happening. Despite the Leisure services been a paid for service. As Cllr Donatus implies the Leisure services are income generating. The Rec pre pandemic made an overall surplus each year. These works always did come under the Council. Not GLL/Better. On roof leaks I know Better have been finding it very frustrating as it's not their responsibility and its been affecting use of some of the building.

If the Council is going to take on full management of Leisure services then it really needs to get its act together on maintenance.

There are still occasional gripes from Council about it being Listed building.

Its like the Council see demolition and replacement as best option ( as in Streatham). The Councils preferred option would have been demolition of the Rec, new Rec on the smaller Pop site and deal with developer who would have got the larger Rec site.

Its this building at " at end of its life" argument that the Council continually trot out when they want to dispose of a site. Had this recently about International House.

Informally heard BTW that the International House isn't going to be demolished. Seems local public pressure has led to change of heart by Council. It will still be sold to developer along with Pop site. Been told the Council are now working with possible developers to retain it. With option to demolish off the table. Does show the pressure can work. Even if Council don't like it.

Last edited:

Before Christmas was told that the projected date for the new boiler to be working is February. So another winter of cold Rec.

Its not just the boiler that is the problem. The heating units for the changing rooms haven't worked properly for years. Need total replacement. The pipework associated with the boilers also needs replacing/ fixing.

The Rec building is structurally in good condition. Its well made concrete structure.

However things like pipework have come to the end of their life and need replacing. Also from what I've seen ongoing planned maintenance over the years hasn't happpened. Its always been reacting to breakdowns and patching up.

After the listing of the Rec the Council has given up on idea of disposing of site or messing around with the internals of the building.

Money was set aside to replace plant at the the end of its life. Some work has been done such as upgrading the fire alarm system.

The rest of the works from what I've seen have at times ground to a halt.

The survey of the roof to find out where leaks are was only done before Christmas.

Council excuse is that its has high turnover of staff. So every time officers get to grips with the scheme they leave and next officers start from scratch.

IMO the Council have a problem with managing schemes. Look at LJ Works ( unfinished for over a year) and the Somerleyton Road project.

Schemes like the Good Growth Fund for "regenerating" Brixton Station Road and Rec do seem to have officers put in charge of them.

But when it comes to what should be regular / planned maintenance of Rec its just not happening. Despite the Leisure services been a paid for service. As Cllr Donatus implies the Leisure services are income generating. The Rec pre pandemic made an overall surplus each year. These works always did come under the Council. Not GLL/Better. On roof leaks I know Better have been finding it very frustrating as it's not their responsibility and its been affecting use of some of the building.

If the Council is going to take on full management of Leisure services then it really needs to get its act together on maintenance.

There are still occasional gripes from Council about it being Listed building.

Its like the Council see demolition and replacement as best option ( as in Streatham). The Councils preferred option would have been demolition of the Rec, new Rec on the smaller Pop site and deal with developer who would have got the larger Rec site.

Its this building at " at end of its life" argument that the Council continually trot out when they want to dispose of a site. Had this recently about International House.

Informally heard BTW that the International House isn't going to be demolished. Seems local public pressure has led to change of heart by Council. It will still be sold to developer along with Pop site. Been told the Council are now working with possible developers to retain it. With option to demolish off the table. Does show the pressure can work. Even if Council don't like it.

..thank up for update, the international house/pop story will be one to watch.

Hope this doesn't spoil it, about to leave Crown and Anchor - what a fabulous night DJ chill not yet busy, all good.
Happy New Year!

...I’m round the corner and it sounds like they’re having it large at jamm, I’m tending logs, happy new year.

Does anyone know of any dog friendly hotels anywhere south- Brixton, Clapham, Tooting, Wandsworth ??? Thanks asking for a friend

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any so friendly hotels anywhere south- Brixton, Clapham, Tooting, Wandsworth ??? Thanks asking for a friend
I stayed at the Leigham Court Hotel in Streatham recently, got a good deal on Booking.com. It's not special but it is really comfortable and I would definitely go back there. They also have parking but I always seemed to get the last space, so I'm sure there will be times when you have to park elsewhere.

Really, really sad to find out Ian from the Barrier Block died unexpectedly on NYE. He was the fella that used to sell drinks/ice drinks outside the block and the Domino club. His bike has become a little shrine :(

1641260714162.png

1641297317459.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom