Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...investment bankers are human too, y'know!!!!!!!

Wolf-Of-Wall-Street.jpg

I'm only inspired to puke.
I think it's brilliant when people take part in marathons to raise money for the less fortunate. It takes a lot of hard work and effort to run a marathon.

However, I'm less impressed when I get sent a press release singling out one individual investment banker's "inspiring" story in the hope that their name will get plastered all over their press.

Inappropriate Content
There's a lot of contradictory stuff going on here then. We like people doing stuff for charity, but not if they want to get their name out there or are an investment banker (even though we don't know what they invested in).

And we also like free digital media and advertising courses, but we regularly talk about what wankers advertising, marketing and PR agencies are. And the people that run advertising agencies are not dissimilar to investment bankers in that a) they have a lot of money and b) their job is to effectively take more off of others.

So is a free course that gets young people to be more like them a good thing or a bad thing?

Confusing isn't it.

Last edited:
Do we need a consensus?
This board wasn't set up with any expectations of consensus on every issue, but the fairly recent lurch to right-leaning, pro-gentrification, 'I'm alright Jack' politics coupled with a depressing keenness to belittle and attack leftish/community initiatives is a real, real shame.

It gets pointed out to me quite a lot by local activists and I find it a bit embarrassing at times.

Admittedly once upon a time there was more of a general perspective which was closer to my own than nowadays.

I've had chat with friend of mine recently about politics In this country. She joined Labour party due to Corbyn. In her seventies.

I said I often found old people open minded and naturally of the left. They grew up and were adults when life in the this country seemed to be improving. Idea of Welfare State and mixed economy with workers having decent rights seemed the norm.

The other segment of the population we felt affinity with were young people. The other lot who felt what Corbyn represented was for them. The young generation realise life is not going to be better for them unless there is radical change.

Its the middle group we felt out of affinity with.

There general perspective is that of accepting the middle ground / Thatcher norms as a fact of life. If you mention anything different you are not living in the real world.

So I am hopeful. I think things will change. The general perspective will change.

I recall a couple of weeks ago someone complaining about Lembit Opik doing vox pops in central Brixton.
I haven't been able to track that one down, but here is another Urban75 favourite done very recently.
Aparat is a sort of Iranian Youtube apparently - maybe Lee is calling in a favour from George Galloway here?
Sirena Did you get an eagle's eye view of this?

He’s a bloody Tory, who has no natural empathy for social housing tenants. He is simply looking for opportunities to attack the labour council which is what Tory politicians do. Anyone who believes a Tory led Lambeth would be better than the council we have at the moment for all its new labour short comings is deluded. Have a look at the targeted cuts Tory councils have made in boroughs they control compared to what we have suffered in Lambeth. The man is Tory scum, comfortable owning a company that helps evict vulnerable residents. It devalues a worthy campaign to give succour to a man who’s party gave us austerity.

Way to entirely miss my point.

The experience is not about the venue but about learning valuable cooking tips and techniques. Courses of most kinds, in particular those requiring manual work and specific equipment usually take place in any practical space available, and the glamour of the venue or lack thereof is completely irrelevant.

You are perhaps looking at it from the point of view of the subsequent meal not being in elegant enough surroundings, but the meal is not the main draw of the activity. And indeed one could say that by holding it at the Brixton Pound Cafe instead of in an upmarket restaurant the experience prices will certainly be significantly cheaper than would otherwise have been, making them more accessible to more people. Whichever angle I look at it from I can only see positives.

Some skill-learning classes are value-for-money. I did a "pickling" class at Brockwell Community Greenhouses. £30-ish for 3 hrs, but you got a lot of tips of the sort you don't find in books, and my sauerkraut has never been so good!

Does anyone know what the plan for Ferndale Road is?

A few weeks ago we were told about funding to create a low traffic route: Atlantic Road to be transformed and Ferndale and Railton Roads to be ‘low traffic’

But this week the Brixton end has been resurfaced, with no obvious change in the shape of the road. A simple resurfacing and repainting.

A case of left hand, right hand not joining up?

Entirely possible. Resurfacing etc is Highways dept, change of use is planning dept, I believe.

It may be worth comparing this with disco in Brixton prior to the arrival of Brixton Buzz:

Brixton Disco, Pre-Brixton Buzz style

As a matter of interest would that have been Clouds - ie 390 Brixton Road after the RamJam and before The Fridge?

It may be worth comparing this with disco in Brixton prior to the arrival of Brixton Buzz:

Brixton Disco, Pre-Brixton Buzz style

I was not in brIxton at that time but the clip could easily have been filmed in clubs I used to frequent in the north, Leeds Derby Leicester Nottingham also a country club up near Darlington which was Sunday night and drew large contingents from far afield where I saw a group of dancers form a human pyramid on the dance floor with a guy on top playing a trumpet......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom