Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - September 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kind of stuff that gets sent to the Buzz account every day. It's all about bloody entrepreneurs, big backed independents, upmarket foodie joints playing 'street' and PR company-promoted acts of charity. Here's today's gem. A fucking floating hot tub.

I just wanted to get in touch to let you know that local Brixton-based entrepreneur, Tommo Stuart Thomson, has been revealed as a finalist in The Creator Awards, a global initiative established by collaborative workspace company WeWork to recognise and reward ‘creators’ all over the world.

Tommo is Founder & CEO of HotTug UK. HotTug UK are bringing the world's first floating hot tub, The HotTug to London and other cities throughout the world, aiming to be the world's most unique experience.

Tommo will attend the UK Regional Finals in London (at Battersea Evolution) on 14th September to pitch to a panel of judges for their chance to win a share of the £1.5 million prize offering. The event is completely free to attend and is open to the wider general public.

The evening will be hosted by presenting legend, Reggie Yates and Carly Wilford. At the event, attendees will enjoy live masterclasses with a range of exciting hosts including the iconic journalist Grace Dent, Grammy Award Winning Artist Estelle, and Dumi Oburota, founder of seminal streetwear brand DSTRB.LDN. Alongside this, there will be a job fair, local vendors, delicious food and an open bar, the exciting event will then end with a set from superstar DJ, Annie Mac.

I cannot think of many things I'd like to do less that sit unclothed in a 'hot tug' in Regents Canal

IMG_9673.jpg

But you get to bray on the river with your chums! What a hoot! Just £220 for all your pals (plus the cost of champers) and a half grand deposit.

i hope this doesnt mean they get stricter on the door with searches, and the bouncers get more moody/interfering once you are inside and having a good time.
That reminds me: I was working on a list of Brixton venues demanding full photo ID/scanning. It's fucking depressing. Off the top of my head, the Phonox, Dogstar, Prince of Wales, Electric, 414 are all insisting on full photo ID with scanning, and places like Jamm, Albert and almost every other venue asking for ID before entry (sometimes only on weekends).

That reminds me: I was working on a list of Brixton venues demanding full photo ID/scanning. It's fucking depressing. Off the top of my head, the Phonox, Dogstar, Prince of Wales, Electric, 414 are all insisting on full photo ID with scanning, and places like Jamm, Albert and almost every other venue asking for ID before entry (sometimes only on weekends).
Just a guess but I reckon if it was up to the venue owners they wouldn't do it, but the police and/or local council authority perhaps 'encourage' all late venues to check photo ID nowadays... it seems to have become the norm everywhere.

Just a guess but I reckon if it was up to the venue owners they wouldn't do it, but the police and/or local council authority perhaps 'encourage' all late venues to check photo ID nowadays... it seems to have become the norm everywhere.
Oh for sure: I know it was forced on to the 414 and Dogstar as a condition. Plan B/Phonox took it on themselves to start scanning IDs though. I hate having to take out ID. If you haven't got a driving licence, you've got to go around with your expensive-to-replace passport. We're turning into the US, FFS.

The 414 were made to do it by the Police after that DJ was shot. To be fair it's probably the best way to deter the people who take weapons into clubs.

Oh for sure: I know it was forced on to the 414 and Dogstar as a condition. Plan B/Phonox took it on themselves to start scanning IDs though. I hate having to take out ID. If you haven't got a driving licence, you've got to go around with your expensive-to-replace passport. We're turning into the US, FFS.
Yeah, that's a good point. I have a driving licence with me at all times but it must be a pain if you don't have one. Passports are easy to lose, and as you say bloody expensive to replace. Plus, if you lose 'too many' of them (don't know what the threshold might be), you might even have trouble getting replacements in the future. A colleague at work lost two in relatively quick succession and apparently was told if he lost the latest replacement he might find it far more difficult to get another, for a while at least.

I know ID cards were fiercely opposed in this country when they were proposed, but they are so much more practical than a passport for identification purposes.

Yeah, that's a good point. I have a driving licence with me at all times but it must be a pain if you don't have one. Passports are easy to lose, and as you say bloody expensive to replace. Plus, if you lose 'too many' of them (don't know what the threshold might be), you might even have trouble getting replacements in the future. A colleague at work lost two in relatively quick succession and apparently was told if he lost the latest replacement he might find it far more difficult to get another, for a while at least.

I know ID cards were fiercely opposed in this country when they were proposed, but they are so much more practical than a passport for identification purposes.
You're still stuck with that troubling, "what do they do with my personal data" conundrum with ID cards though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom