Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a cursory glance. Terrible UX on that site makes it quite difficult.
Perhaps you'll find this one easier to read. It's quite interesting too.
Street art – as well as its artistic forebear graffiti – are often thought of as radical, rebellious aesthetic practices. Both the artists and their works are portrayed as the very definition of “edgy”; dangerous and dissident, but also creative and avant-garde. Yet within the last five years or so, street art (and I use this term here in distinction to graffiti) has been commandeered by the corporate interests of the “creative city”.

The creative city doctrine is one in which public space is privatised and monetised – used as a simple means to an end. As imagined by superstar urban theorists such as Richard Florida, it is the role of city authorities to draw the emerging creative class to their sites. They must mark themselves out visually and recreationally, to entice the key demographic of well-educated professionals and “bohemians” (the coders, the designers, the “knowledge-based” professionals) who form the basis for a post-industrial economy.

From dissident to decorative: why street art sold out and gentrified our cities

Oh Jeez. I give up. Please go off and learn the history of the Nuclear Dawn artwork and the difference between commissioned art and street art/graffiti.

Funding for the mural came from the Arts Council, the Gulbenkian Foundation and the Greater London Arts Association. An additional £2,000 grant for the artists came from the Lambeth Council in the form of the Inner City Partnership fund which caused great upset to one of Lambeth’s Tory Councillors who saw it as a waste of money.

The mural was finished in 1981 and on 11th February, opened by Hugh Jenkins, the then president for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out absurd hypocrisy when I see it. If you weren't too busy wedging your tongue firmly up editor's posterior you might actually see that.

Reiabuzz is too busy trying to pick a fight with you to waste his (her?) time reading up on stuff.
There's certainly some interesting arguments to be had on the relationship between street art and gentrification - and the differences between street art and commissioned artworks - but he's clearly not actually interested in the topic.

Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out absurd hypocrisy when I see it. If you weren't too busy wedging your tongue firmly up editor's posterior you might actually see that.
Ah, I see you're ramping up the personal abuse now. Kindly stop.

thank you for that :)
a quick scan suggests the proposed site is on the street outside pop
anyone got any ideas why it would not be allowed under planning rules?
Not sure exactly. It would take up some pavement space of course, and need to be powered electrically.

Maybe there are health and safety issues over an unattended street fridge in central Brixton? Without an officer report (which would have been appended if it was either refused or approved) we cannot say.

A reminder:

Anyone go yesterday? Any good?

I might go tonight - but feel constrained by the urgent debate on gay marriage at the CoE Synod. If that gets nasty or riveting I may have to cop out.
General Synod - Live Video Stream

My main point on Atlantic Road is I think the canopy under the rail platform needs to be removed or imp-roved. Those blue panels have surely outlasted their 30 years welcome. In addition the wavy false ceilings in front of the arches looks really crap now. But no doubt after removal all manner of out of date wiring, gas pipes etc will be revealed.

Look at old photos - I think this
atlantic6.jpg

looks lighter and less oppressive than this
atlantic1.jpg

Just to refer back to a couple of useful Urban photos. But no doubt everyone holding the consultation deny this issue should be on the table.

Not sure exactly. It would take up some pavement space of course, and need to be powered electrically.

Maybe there are health and safety issues over an unattended street fridge in central Brixton? Without an officer report (which would have been appended if it was either refused or approved) we cannot say.

thanks for this, now I have caught up with the discussion on Facebook and read the comments on the buzz article I have discovered that the issue was food safety and that the current location is a trial to see if it works ok. I also discovered that at least one other person in Brixton shares my feelings and I am not a lone nutter.

The over-daubing in Hackney was done by someone who's a street / conceptual artist himself, so it's all a bit meta really.

I wonder if he's a long term resident there or one of the artists who moved in a while back and made the area trendy.

Here's some more of his work

Edwin

The over-daubing in Hackney was done by someone who's a street / conceptual artist himself, so it's all a bit meta really.

I wonder if he's a long term resident there or one of the artists who moved in a while back and made the area trendy.

Here's some more of his work

Edwin
Oh so his message was ironic? :facepalm:

Not Brixton (this was in Hackney Wick) but the message is absolutely spot on.

View attachment 100521
just near emma street by mare street there was a piece of graffiti from c.1987 - black and white unite and fight, smash the national front - and flyposting from the 1990s (some of which is still there). some wankers whitewashed over the graffiti last year for a photoshoot.

this is what it looks like now

Capture.JPG

but before it was really well done, red and black

Capture.JPG
1990s flyposters

Last edited:
It might have been the same person that painted it who subsequently defaced it. Maybe they painted it to set the satire up in the first place.

Very KLF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom