Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other ideas- the library, Brixton pound cafe, St mathews church, Brixton advice center....
I'm going to guess that they've considered the Brixton Pound Café, given that two of its directors are named as part of the management team.

Advice Centre is probably too far away from sources of food (central traders) which is a key consideration according to the planning application.

St Matthews is mostly commercial operations (restaurant and offices). The building managers can't even afford basic security for their commercial rentals (most of the building), let alone support this (The Brix has apparently been disbanded). If you read their 2016 planning application for the peace gardens, they are actively trying to discourage people such as the homeless from hanging about anyway. The small area still operating as a church is not reliably accessible.

Library - good central location. No idea about other practicalities.

The idea (not yours, I know) that Market Row and Brixton Village would comfortably overcome the alleged demographic obstacles to pop is patently laughable.

Let's not forget that the purpose of this is not specifically to "feed the needy". It is to raise public awareness of food waste issues, and that needs to be very visible in places which people most likely to contribute towards generation of excess food frequent.

Solomon has just come on "Victoria Derbyshire" BBC Two/News Channel in a feature about low pay.

We got our green wheelies yesterday. Street does look cluttered but hopefully it will be better in the long term than those plastic transparent bags which the foxes so enjoyed. And at least they're not "fun' colours like the people of liverpool have to live with.
Wheelie-Bins-fixed-770x390.jpg

We got our green wheelies yesterday. Street does look cluttered but hopefully it will be better in the long term than those plastic transparent bags which the foxes so enjoyed. And at least they're not "fun' colours like the people of liverpool have to live with.
View attachment 100512
Not necessarily fun colours, but very close to Brixton residents of Herne Hill and all other parts of Southwark Borough have at least three different coloured bins, plus (if memory serves) a plastic open box.

It doesn't to put it where it is. That's one of the reasons it's there.
That explains why the application was withdrawn I guess....

image.jpg

....... also none of the documents were available to view so I still haven't worked out who the people most likely to generate excess food production are ?

Funny thing is that even the people behind the fridge project freely admit that it's not in an ideal location, and its visibility (and therefore the raising of public awareness) would be greatly increased if it were in a different location. Having it tucked away at the back of a trendy container park patrolled by security and mainly used by freespending foodies and boozers is clearly far short of an ideal location, especially as it's right next to Brixton's new 'dead zone' with vastly reduced footfall outside.

Still, looking at the web traffic numbers, I'm happy to see that the article on Buzz has done a fantastic job of raising awareness of this excellent project.

Funny thing is that even the people behind the fridge project freely admit that it's not in an ideal location, and its visibility (and therefore the raising of public awareness) would be greatly increased if it were in a different location. Having it tucked away at the back of a trendy container park patrolled by security and mainly used by freespending foodies and boozers is clearly far short of an ideal location, especially as it's right next to Brixton's new 'dead zone' with vastly reduced footfall outside.

Still, looking at the web traffic numbers, I'm happy to see that the article on Buzz has done a fantastic job of raising awareness of this excellent project.

I can't understand why the planning application was made in the first place given the current location doesn't need it....seems a lot of time and effort, and possibly expense would go into drawing up the plans which could have been avoided with a bit of foresight.....

View attachment 100516

....... also none of the documents were available to view so I still haven't worked out who the people most likely to generate excess food production are ?
It's standard practice to withdraw applications when you have been informed they will likely be turned down.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with the technicalities of downloading the documents but they are readily available if you follow the link above.

It's standard practice to withdraw applications when you have been informed they will likely be turned down.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with the technicalities of downloading the documents but they are readily available if you follow the link above.
thanks it must be this device....I will have a look when I get access to a computer

I can't understand why the planning application was made in the first place given the current location doesn't need it....seems a lot of time and effort, and possibly expense would go into drawing up the plans which could have been avoided with a bit of foresight.....
It shows that some considerable effort was put into trying to locate the fridge outside of Pop, perhaps for the same reasons that people on here were stridently raising in criticism of the inside-Pop location without doing some basic research into the history of the decision or talking to the people involved.

Because they wanted to put it on the outside perimeter of pop in Popes Road and include a more extensive installation around it which would get attention and provide information.

I understand that the reason for withdrawal was that its being unmanned was considered a health and safety issue.

They have put the fridge where it where it is so that they can get started despite the failed planning application.

Anyway, back in the real world, the people behind the project are more than happy with the extensive publicity that the Buzz article generated and having this kind of open discussion both here, on the site and on Facebook can only be of overall benefit. It nay even help them find a better future location.

It's great that they've contributed to that discussion and offered some background to the project, although it is a shame they didn't release a press release first: keeping people informed in advance is always a good idea, and it only takes a quick tweet/email/FB post.

Personal Attacks
Good for Pop to receive some publicity too.
Just a shame that local news sources didn't fact check first which is always a good idea before writing a story.

That said someone at the Daily Mail once told me that the editors want stories which they classify as WEP (will enrage people). I guess it's the same whomever you write for.

Wow. Apparently that comment is a warning offence for being a personal attack. How pathetic.

Apparently I'm now not allowed to comment on Buzz articles!

View attachment 100516
Does this design statement throw any light (downloaded from Lambeth's website)

Attachments

• 16_06101_FUL-DESIGN___ACCESS_STATEMENT-1811114.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Wow. Apparently that comment is a warning offence for being a personal attack. How pathetic.

Apparently I'm now not allowed to comment on Buzz articles!
What's more pathetic is you're supposed to be on mutual ignore but obviously are not actually being ignored :D.

It's also become a right old cash cow in gentrifying areas. Throw in some button-pushing, on-trend entrepreneurial twist - something like a "candle lit class set to a special playlist meditation music and alpha waves" - and watch the well heeled nu-locals roll in!

I'm sure that's right. I've been doing yoga for five years now, and I just go to the classes in the gym I'm a member of. Interestingly, the most popular class - by far! - is one with no music, and no hippy bollocks, in which the teacher just tells you where to put your hands, feet, knees etc.

Some of us, in the more advanced parts of the borough, have had this technology for a couple of years already.

Ooh! Get you and your fancy ways! :p

In the neglected wasteland of the Acre Lane/Lambert Road Ladder of SW2, we only got ours this week. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom