Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how would you feel?
It's really not all about me you know, but seeing as you're so insistent:

I don't think the two cases are comparable: the Bowie one has turned into an actual 'shrine' and taken on local/international cultural significance, but the Hackney one is just a bit of street art. It's pretty but it's nothing special.

It would also very much depend on what replaced the Bowie mural in your fanciful imaginings. If some twat scrawled indecipherable shit all over the Bowie mural I'd be unimpressed, but if the new artwork was better than the original, then I'd very much like it.

I'm not really a fan of the style of "my" "beloved" Bowie mural you see, so I would be interested to see how other artists could progress and interpret the theme.

I trust that answers your question in full.

The 'shit' on the mural you've posted a picture of in Hackney is far from indecipherable. The octopus picture isn't my style either but clearly someone's spent a shitload of time creating it.

Rent's have doubled (or worse) in Brixton too so I just wondered how you'd feel if the anti-nuke one on CHL or the Bowie one was defaced with a similar message. You've answered the question though. Thanks

Rent's have doubled (or worse) in Brixton too so I just wondered how you'd feel if the anti-nuke one on CHL or the Bowie one was defaced with a similar message.
You're making some very ill-informed comparisons. How has the anti-nuke mural (or rather what's left of it) contributed to rent recently doubling in the area? You do know the history of the artwork, yes?

Indecipherable - you implied it here.

If some twat scrawled indecipherable shit all over the Bowie mural I'd be unimpressed, but if the new artwork was better than the original, then I'd very much like it.

If I'd painted that mural I'd be pretty pissed off.

How would you feel if your beloved Bowie mural was similarly defaced?

So, what's your point? It's a shame about all this gentrification, but at least we get some "edgy" street art!

I'm sure you don't think that. I'm disingenuously characterising you in the same way you just did the editor.

Does this design statement throw any light (downloaded from Lambeth's website)
thank you for that :)
a quick scan suggests the proposed site is on the street outside pop
anyone got any ideas why it would not be allowed under planning rules?

So, what's your point? It's a shame about all this gentrification, but at least we get some "edgy" street art!

I'm sure you don't think that. I'm disingenuously characterising you in the same way you just did the editor.

My point is that there's a fair bit of hypocrisy here. How did this artist's work contribute to rent increases in the Hackney area? It's argubale that the Bowie mural is contributing to rent increases in Brixton given the footfall it's been providing. Yet we get monthly updates on it on this site.

What's more pathetic is you're supposed to be on mutual ignore but obviously are not actually being ignored :D.

Well one can't be sure about that. The warnings come from "A moderator" so I can't be sure who sent it.

Perhaps it was another of the moderators who regularly moderate the Brixton Forum who was upset with my suggestion that the fact checking on the local news site Brixton Buzz is perhaps a little "wanting". It was a pretty controversial comment to be fair, which would have incensed any reasonable person.

Anyway, I feel that a discussion about the trustworthiness of Brixton's news outlets is probably inappropriate for this Brixton chatter thread.

My point is that there's a fair bit of hypocrisy here. How did this artist's work contribute to rent increases in the Hackney area? It's argubale that the Bowie mural is contributing to rent increases in Brixton given the footfall it's been providing. Yet we get monthly updates on it on this site.
In your determination to make this personal, you're sloppily throwing around a load of lazy, stupid assumptions.

Where did I claim that the artwork led to rent increases in Hackney (although there is a far more nuanced argument to be had about street art and gentrification)?
Where is this 'hypocrisy'?
How is coverage of Bowie's mural pushing up rents? That boat has long sailed, my friend,

thank you for that :)
a quick scan suggests the proposed site is on the street outside pop
anyone got any ideas why it would not be allowed under planning rules?
As mentioned, it was a food safety issue which would have required it to be manned all day.

In your determination to make this personal, you're sloppily throwing around a load of lazy, stupid assumptions.

Where did I claim that the artwork led to rent increases in Hackney (although there is a far more nuanced argument to be had about street art and gentrification)?
Where is this 'hypocrisy'?
How is coverage of Bowie's mural pushing up rents? That boat has long sailed, my friend,

Why couldn't the person who defaced the octopus artwork have just chosen a blank wall to make their point? What's the point of destroying someone else's work?

Why couldn't the person who defaced the octopus artwork have just chosen a blank wall to make their point? What's the point of destroying someone else's work?
You'd have to ask the person responsible. I'm not his/her spokesperson.

And I'm not sure how the octopus picture contributed to rent increases in Hackney? Or am I missing something?
Gentrification Octopus. A new supervillain for the 21st century.

conv_298807-jpg.54070

You'd have to ask the person responsible. I'm not his/her spokesperson.

No, but you do appear to be quite a fan of their actions. If you're unable to see the parallel I'm trying to draw here with the many murals in Brixton then I do apologise. Why is it even in the Brixton forum then?

From my own highly subjective (but if you don't agree, I'll fight you) perspective: when Brixton was too scary for the tribe who are now swarming in, there was much less "vibrant" street art than there is now. Much less.

It's almost as if street art has become a faux-"edgy" signifier of something or other.

Discuss (I know you will).

No, but you do appear to be quite a fan of their actions. If you're unable to see the parallel I'm trying to draw here with the many murals in Brixton then I do apologise. Why is it even in the Brixton forum then?
I liked this one particular piece of work. I thought it was thought provoking and brought up the complex issue of the relationship between street art and gentrification. I've no idea what else he/she has done, if anything apart from the follow up stick drawing. That really does not make me a 'quite a fan' so I'd be grateful if you stopped trying to misrepresent me.

Oh, and I suggest you read the link I posted up to if you're really interested.

I liked this one particular piece of work. I thought it was thought provoking and brought up the complex issue of the relationship between street art and gentrification. I've no idea what else he/she has done, if anything apart from the follow up stick drawing. That really does not make me a 'quite a fan' so I'd be grateful if you stopped trying to misrepresent me.

He looks like a total fucking arsehole to be honest. Going back to my original post - I'd be fucked off beyond belief if I'd spent days creating that only for some cretin to come and write all over it and then go even further and complete the job with a half-arsed apology. Don't know why you're bigging him up here.

Each to their own though.

He looks like a total fucking arsehole to be honest. Going back to my original post - I'd be fucked off beyond belief if I'd spent days creating that only for some cretin to come and write all over it and then go even further and complete the job with a half-arsed apology. Don't know why you're bigging him up here.

Each to their own though.
If you're this angry already be grateful that you're not an actual street artist, where it's commonplace for rivals and other artists to paint over your work.

How do you know that the Hackney artist hadn't already painted over someone's work, by the way? Happens all the time in popular spots.

If you're this angry already be grateful that you're not an actual street artist, where it's commonplace for rivals and other artists to paint over your work.

How do you know that the Hackney artist hadn't already painted over someone's work, by the way? Happens all the time in popular spots.

I'm not angry. Just think it was an idiotic post. Takes a lot more than that, my friend.

From my own highly subjective (but if you don't agree, I'll fight you) perspective: when Brixton was too scary for the tribe who are now swarming in, there was much less "vibrant" street art than there is now. Much less.

It's almost as if street art has become a faux-"edgy" signifier of something or other.

Discuss (I know you will).
Agreed. Although there was a lot more tagging as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom