Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the walk-in center at kings hospital closed? I'm sure there used to be one but can't find trace of it online. Feelong ropey and short of breath like a chest infection but missed today's Gp appointments.

Has the walk-in center at kings hospital closed? I'm sure there used to be one but can't find trace of it online. Feelong ropey and short of breath like a chest infection but missed today's Gp appointments.
Why not talk to a pharmacist or that non-emergency phone line?

Last edited:
From my own highly subjective (but if you don't agree, I'll fight you) perspective: when Brixton was too scary for the tribe who are now swarming in, there was much less "vibrant" street art than there is now. Much less.

It's almost as if street art has become a faux-"edgy" signifier of something or other.

Discuss (I know you will).

Correlation is not causation

Bit late but there is one at Guy's.

Is that the same thing as A&E?

There's also a walk-in centre in Streatham. Years ago I took my daughter there on a Sunday. From Health services in Lambeth

Walk-in centres
Walk-in centres treat minor illnesses. For conditions that cannot wait for the next GP appointment visit Gracefield Gardens, 2-8 Gracefield Gardens, Streatham, SW16 2ST.

Opening Hours: 11am to 8pm, weekdays, 8am to 8pm at weekends.'

I've got a bee in my bonnet about the street preachers who use a PA to shout at you. The other day I asked one of them to turn the volume down and observed that his blather was just noise pollution. He replied 'it's louder in hell'. I made a noise complaint to the council and stated that the high volume caused me 'harassment and distress', i.e. it constituted Anti-Social Behaviour. I wasn't expecting anyone to pursue it but I've had a reply from the Business and Customer Services Enabling Cluster. I'm surprised we still have such a body in austerity Lambeth.

Apart from the "Brixton" location that was in Clapham, and the "edgy" inclusion of LIDL, was the writer's remit not to go more than 100m from the tube?

I propose the small bit of park opposite the nursing home in Lyham Road. The dog shit is well vibrant. Failing that the Windmill (both the pub and the actual thing).

Ferry 'cross the Effra!

I'm a bit more concerned about the message than the volume. Someone was giving it large earlier on this week about how "ever since the UK legalised sodomy we are now an Antichrist Country" :hmm: :mad:
The preacher I complained about is black. 10 to 1 he goes to one of the local offshoots of African Anglican churches, which, compared to the wishy-washy C of E, take a mind-bogglingly ignorant line not just on homosexuality but also on mental illness. Right under our noses congregations are being told that psychiatry is wicked and Christ is your go-to healer. It's only one step away from the voodoo conman in the market who will do you a very expensive chicken sacrifice to cure AIDS, alcoholism, marital infidelity or what have you. People won't touch this issue with a bargepole for fear of coming across as racist/culturally insensitive/patronising. The result is that our black community is not being cared for as well as the white community. The wonderful Jacqui Dyer has adopted this as her cause Cllr Jacqui Dyer | Minority Mental Health 2016 . More power to her. She doesn't broadcast the role of churches in this - that would be counter-productive. But if you talk to her she'll clue you in.

Apart from the "Brixton" location that was in Clapham, and the "edgy" inclusion of LIDL, was the writer's remit not to go more than 100m from the tube?

I propose the small bit of park opposite the nursing home in Lyham Road. The dog shit is well vibrant. Failing that the Windmill (both the pub and the actual thing).

Ferry 'cross the Effra!
I would have thought that the Barrier Block might have got mentioned. Well, if I gave much of a fuck in the first place :)

I recommend this Alfa Network AWUS036NHR + u-mount-cs - USB Adapter, 150 Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, RP-SMA Connector: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It's many times more powerful than the wifi transmitters in laptops and phones, so you get a stronger signal and/or longer range. It's still hit and miss in urban areas, but it's less hit and miss than not having it.
It's OK. I'll just go to a cafe with working wi-fi. Be buggered if I'm going to start lugging that thing around :)

I've got a bee in my bonnet about the street preachers who use a PA to shout at you. The other day I asked one of them to turn the volume down and observed that his blather was just noise pollution. He replied 'it's louder in hell'. I made a noise complaint to the council and stated that the high volume caused me 'harassment and distress', i.e. it constituted Anti-Social Behaviour. I wasn't expecting anyone to pursue it but I've had a reply from the Business and Customer Services Enabling Cluster. I'm surprised we still have such a body in austerity Lambeth.
'Business and Customer Services Enabling Cluster' [emoji849]

synthesis-knight-webb-brixton-01.jpg

synthesis-knight-webb-brixton-03.jpg

Fluoro art under UV in Atlantic Rd till Sunday

Synthesis brings a fluorescent glow to Brixton’s Knight-Webb Gallery

It's OK. I'll just go to a cafe with working wi-fi. Be buggered if I'm going to start lugging that thing around :)
That pic is a bit deceptive - it weighs as much as a wet fart! The unit is the length and width of a credit card. And it comes with a big aerial and a small one. The small one is about the size of a biro. When you unscrew the aerial the whole lot can live in your pocket without you knowing it's there.

I can't understand why the planning application was made in the first place given the current location doesn't need it....seems a lot of time and effort, and possibly expense would go into drawing up the plans which could have been avoided with a bit of foresight.....
Personally I feel that way about the whole project. Ill thought-out virtue signalling, that won't actually benefit needy people or raise awareness outside of a circle-jerk of friends.

Seems pretty obscene, especially when you compare it to the relatively extremely modest new memorial for Black Caribbean and African Commonwealth soldiers who fought in WW1 and 2 which is soon to be installed in Windrush square.

Bowie left plenty of value by which he will be remembered by for a long time to come. This is unnecessary and feels more about Brixton trying to claim him for itself. I hope they have a rethink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom