Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like a kind of literal pin on the map marking out Brixton as a tourist destination wanting to cash in on its tenuous links to the whole Bowie thing. Following in Premier Inn's footsteps.

When I first saw it I though maybe it's just someone's nutball idea and I bet they haven't even thought about planning permission and so on but it seems there has been a full team of professionals working on it for 9 months and Lambeth are backing it.

It just seems so draw-droppingly inappropriate.

Donate £600 and get a 14ct gold "ZiggyZag" pendant. Or £1,000 for a black nylon "ZiggyZag" desk ornament.

I have no idea what Bowie himself would have thought about this. But I'd like to think he'd be somewhat horrified by the idea.

The Ritzy must be making a mint these days. It's a Tuesday and the place was rammed with free spending customers.

Worth correcting the article to clarify that £20 does not get your name on the memorial. It gets you named on their website.

The Ritzy must be making a mint these days. It's a Tuesday and the place was rammed with free spending customers.

I rarely go there now due to the high prices. Most people I know now go to the Peckhamplex. It's annoying to be priced out of the Ritzy.

I made one of my rare visits to Ritzy a few weeks ago and the staff still recognise me. Which was nice.

Ritzy workers will be demonstrating in Leicester Square this Saturday.

I rarely go there now due to the high prices. Most people I know now go to the Peckhamplex. It's annoying to be priced out of the Ritzy.

I made one of my rare visits to Ritzy a few weeks ago and the staff still recognise me. Which was nice.

I know most of the Ritzy workers from supporting their strikes and they're a lovely lot, but I can't afford the cinema's rip off prices. Liek you, it's the Peckhamplex for me.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are particularly busy due to meerkat customers I'd imagine. Only time I go as the 2 for 1 makes it much more reasonable.

What deal do the workers at the peckhamplex get compared to those at the ritzy? I wonder to what extent the low prices are made possible by zero hour contracts and so on.

What deal do the workers at the peckhamplex get compared to those at the ritzy? I wonder to what extent the low prices are made possible by zero hour contracts and so on.

I do not know.

Peckham is not yet as fashionable as Brixton. Which influences pricing policy of Picturehouse.

AFAIK the Ritzy prices are in line with the overwhelming majority of cinemas in London. It is of course lamentable that there are not many more cinemas offering admissiion ticket prices like those offered by the Peckham complex, but it is the case of the latter being the exception rather than the Ritzy being significantly more expensive than the majority of other cinemas in town. In fact, it is actually cheaper than a number of rival screens in central London.

Last edited:
AFAIK the Ritzy prices are in line with the overwhelming majority of cinemas in London. It is of course lamentable that there are not many more cinemas offering admissiion ticket prices like those offered by the Peckham complex, but it is the case of the latter being the exception rather than the Ritzy being significantly more expensive than the majority of other cinemas in town. In fact, it is actually cheaper than a number of rival screens in central London.
But we're not in Central London FFS and it's over double the cost of nearby Peckham.

But we're not in Central London FFS and it's over double the cost of nearby Peckham.
Streatham is not exactly Park Lane either, and a ticket for a showing today is £11.50.

As I said before, Peckham is the exception, not the rule. If the Ritzy prices are a rip-off because Peckham is much cheaper, then every other single cinema in London also is a rip off.

How does quoting a cheaper cinema progress your argument? :confused:
Because a difference in price of less than 10% between the Ritzy and Odeon Streatham does not make the Ritzy a 'rip-off'. Or if you prefer, if the Ritzy is a rip off, so is Streatham Odeon- and indeed, just about every other bloody screen in London with perhaps one or two solitary exceptions.

So you could say that practically every cinema in London is an unacceptable rip-off compared with the Peckham one. But the Ritzy certainly does not stand out amongst the others. This regular singleing out of the Ritzy while ignoring their prices very similar to everywhere else in London (apart from Peckham of course, lest we forget) does therefore come across to me as wide of the mark.

Because a difference in price of less than 10% between the Ritzy and Odeon Streatham does not make the Ritzy a 'rip-off'. Or if you prefer, if the Ritzy is a rip off, so is Streatham Odeon- and indeed, just about every other bloody screen in London with perhaps one or two solitary exceptions.

So you could say that practically every cinema in London is an unacceptable rip-off compared with the Peckham one. But the Ritzy certainly does not stand out amongst the others. This regular singleing out of the Ritzy while ignoring their prices very similar to everywhere else in London (apart from Peckham of course, lest we forget) does therefore come across to me as wide of the mark.
You're not even paying attention to the thread. It's already been pointed out that you can go to a West End Odeon and see any film for just £6 in the week.

You're not even paying attention to the thread. It's already been pointed out that you can go to a West End Odeon and see any film for just £6 in the week.
An exception. The overwhelming majority of cinemas in London charge prices in line with those of The Ritzy. The Ritzy is no more of a rip off than 95% of all cinemas in London.

Would you describe Odeon in Streatham as a rip off?

An exception.

it's the same at every West end odeon except the monster Leicester Square one

I agree that the ritzy is in line with a lot of central London cinemas price wise but it used to be much cheaper, prices have doubled in ten years. Cinema prices are ridiculous generally but it seems Odeon for one are reacting to lower attendances by lowering prices considerably at off peak times which seems like a step in the right direction

it's the same at every West end odeon except the monster Leicester Square one

I agree that the ritzy is in line with a lot of central London cinemas price wise but it used to be much cheaper, prices have doubled in ten years. Cinema prices are ridiculous generally but it seems Odeon for one are reacting to lower attendances by lowering prices considerably at off peak times which seems like a step in the right direction
That's a good thing, and fwiw I didn't know Odeon was rolling the scheme at more cinemas. And I agree that the price of tickets across the industry has shot up over recent years.

But it is also true that the Ritzy's prices are broadly in line with the industry as a whole, and I remain doubtful the depiction of it as a rip off Is justified or accurate. A more appropriate description would be that it does not have as generous cheap/ concession off peak schemes as some Odeon cinemas. But that is no different to the great majority of cinemas in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom