Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn - Winter 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pics from Saturday night at Market House
market-house-jan-2019-26.jpg

market-house-jan-2019-10.jpg

market-house-jan-2019-16.jpg

market-house-jan-2019-22.jpg

In photos: packed dancefloor at the Market House party night with Brixton Buzz DJs, Sat 26th Jan 2019

Seems there is a major diversion on route 37 Acre Lane in the direction of Peckham, due to blocking off the entry to Coldharbour Lane (Disco District) which is currently fully dug up. Presumably there is a Gas Leak in between the Albert and the Market House.

Meanwhile bus 37 has to exit Acre Lane into Brixton Road (as if it were a 35), do a loop round the Academy one-way system and return back up Brixton Road past the tube station. Should add 10 minutes on the journey if this is still going on tomorrow.
I was wondering about that - but when I looked it up on tfl it didn't mention it. Don't understand why does gas works on coldharbour lane stop the 37 turning left on to effra rd?

By Christ, that woman who belts out songs as LOUDLY AS SHE CAN outside the tube station is getting worse.
Why can’t local authorities ban the use of megaphones and mics in public places without prior permission? That way the right of buskers and street preachers to do their thing will be preserved, but limited to the power of their lungs/ acoustic instruments and voices so the locals are not subjected to unacceptably high noise from them.

Seems like a nice and democratic compromise to me, in particular as I wouldn’t lose much sleep if the more unsavoury of the religious folk were simply banned from spreading their filth aloud.

Just imagine what the met would do with this.
Every noisy protest shut down before it could begin with arrests all over t'shop.

I'd be happy if they just restricted the maximum permissible notes per song, so the Brixton foghorn would either have to restrict her implementation of extraneous, showboating, octave-spanning, Pop Idol-crowd-wooing 'bonus' melody lines or face having her mic turned off, in the name of common decency and respect for songs that are in need of no added cliff-face vocals. Who's with me?

Can anyone explain this? As seen in San Marino.

Attachments

• CD123404-7712-40B1-8168-495BDABD41B9.jpeg
    CD123404-7712-40B1-8168-495BDABD41B9.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 42
I was wondering about that - but when I looked it up on tfl it didn't mention it. Don't understand why does gas works on coldharbour lane stop the 37 turning left on to effra rd?
They put a barrier across the road emanating northwards from the Budd Memorial - physically stops traffic driving into or turning into Coldharbour Lane.
It also of course stops traffic turning right from Acre Lane into Effra Road.

Your question illustrates the material poverty of one reduced to verbal description when one simple iPhone XS shot would serve!

Charcoal is apparently so good at soaking stuff up that it doesn't just clear your system of "toxins" (these don't really exist folks) or of actual poisons (in a real medical emergency, if they can't pump your stomach you might well be fed some activated charcoal instead.) Repeated, large ingestions of charcoal can end up soaking up the nutrients and vitamins from the rest of your food as well and stripping them out of your system. So don't eat too many vegan croissants at once.

Your question illustrates the material poverty of one reduced to verbal description when one simple iPhone XS shot would serve!
Nah, we've managed without i phones so far!

I go past there on the bus every morning and though there are a couple of barriers it does look as if it warrants sending buses round the houses, creating more traffic and more more fumes on the most polluted road in Brixton. Doen't excuse tfl not mentioning delays on its website either.
Gas works have caused that bit of road to be dug up so often, why cant they just get it fixed?

I go past there on the bus every morning and though there are a couple of barriers it does look as if it warrants sending buses round the houses, creating more traffic and more more fumes on the most polluted road in Brixton. Doen't excuse tfl not mentioning delays on its website either.
Gas works have caused that bit of road to be dug up so often, why cant they just get it fixed?
It's a hard to fix gas leak.

I think SGN (Your Gas: Our Network) are a bit like a bunch of dentists.
They keep on drilling out cavities and doing root canals, whether you want it or not.

They have announced their Coldharbour Lane project on Twitter.

I would look up to see which Hedge Fund owns SGN, but I'm so aggravated by the Brexit votes tonight I intend to seek solace in a few pints of Wimbledon Quartermaine IPA at the Beehive - if it hasn't sold out!
Quartermaine.png

If you ever get lost on ferndale road seems someone decided very large signage needed to help you find your way home...

Attachments

• IMG_20190108_152826.jpg
    IMG_20190108_152826.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190108_152848.jpg
    IMG_20190108_152848.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 13
You think most of the people living in the adjoining area can afford this trendy yoga? £1,099 annual membership, FFS in one of the most deprived areas of London. That is what's offensive. Gentrification shoved right in your face with a bollocks A-board message.
I went last week as a guest, as a friend of mine is a member. I’ve never been before and will never go again, was aching for four days. It was full of middle class yuppies but they were very nice.

I went last week as a guest, as a friend of mine is a member. I’ve never been before and will never go again, was aching for four days. It was full of middle class yuppies but they were very nice.
You always ache after starting exercises if you have been a bit of a couch potato. The idea is to carry on with the exercise until you acclimatise.
I think if I were going to do yoga I'd want some evidence that it actually does you good. The price of course would rule me out.

You always ache after starting exercises if you have been a bit of a couch potato. The idea is to carry on with the exercise until you acclimatise.
I think if I were going to do yoga I'd want some evidence that it actually does you good. The price of course would rule me out.
Yoga is a good low impact form of strength training and really helps with flexibility and rangebof motion type exercise. It is good. Yoga doesn't kill people, yuppies do.

I wanted to ask - has anyone else been disconcerted by the radiant picture of Lib Peck outside the photographers in between Miss Cupcake and Little Birds?
I wondered if this was a leaving tribute - though for some reason I had thought the photographer was from an SWPish faction, if not the late (un)lamented Brixton Maoists.

To be fair the photo is remarkably good. Rather than the usual intense ready-for-business look I normally associate with (still)Councillor Peck - the pavement photo smiles serenely at on-coming passers-by.

Sleepless in Brixton emailed me this:
We will be available to talk through our plans with you today from 4pm-6pm in unit 89 Brixton Village and 4pm-8pm on Wednesday.

If you have any questions in the meantime or aren’t able to make those sessions please do call or email.

Best,
Alistair

Alistair Maddox
Director of Project Development
Brixton Village & Market Row

Hondo Enterprises
9 Newburgh Street, W1F 7RL
D: 02039558083
M: 07872463409
amaddox@hondo-enterprises.com

There is a significant extension of Markets outdoor space planned. Have your say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom