Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free broadband is totally feasible, as is ensuring people get a decent standard of living. But I can see you've all up for the tax-dodging, NHS-flogging, rich benefiting Tories and their campaign of scaremongering and blatant lies.
‘Broadband communism’? Outside the UK, public broadband is a raving success
You have a habit of extrapolating wildly & wrongly from minimal data.

I voted labour as it happens, but more because they were the least worse option than anything else

I did actually read about it from one of the Labour parties advisors.

I see from this post your problem isn't just Corbyn but the whole shift to the left by Labour party.

Which in inner London got a thumbs up.

Here is James Meadway on the economic parts of the Labour party manifesto. He is advisor to Corbyn on economic matters.

He is interesting on how so called neutral criticism is in fact ideological.

Worth a read:

Don’t Believe the Critics — Labour’s Economic Plans Are Credible

In summary he is saying that the Labour party economic programme would have just put UK back up in the mainstream. Compared to other EU countries. That is on government intervention in economy.

What is radical is that this would be done in five years.

This country has gone down so far the road of Thatcherite Neo Liberalism as compared to other developed Western economies that putting it back to the mainstream would appear to be radical. Blue line is now Red line is proposed by the Labour party manifesto.

Not bonkers at all.

View attachment 193413

So far from being bonkers lefty programme the counter argument could be that its not overthrowing capitalism.

Its using State power to curb the worst excesses of capitalism.

And its not out of line with other EU mainstream countries.

I find it somewhat contradictory for posters here to complain that Corbyn Labour party wasn't Remain enough. Then complain that the Labour party economic programme is bonkers. When its in line with most other EU countries.

The bonkers eonomic programme in Labour party manifesto would have moved UK from being compared to USA to mainstream European.

To quote Meadway:

Quoting Corbyns economic advisor (spoiler: he thinks is a great plan) to bolster your argument that Corbyns economic (Corbynomics?) plan is fantastic is as bonkers as the plan itself.

If anybody knows somebody studying philosophy and interested in fallacies they could do them a favour and point them to this thread.
If anybody knows somebody studying wriggleomics and spineless debate they could do them a favour and point them to this thread.

For the third time of asking: What's your opinion on Labour's plans to nationalise the railways?

If anybody knows somebody studying wriggleomics and spineless debate they could do them a favour and point them to this thread.

For the third time of asking: What's your opinion on Labour's plans to nationalise the railways?
I’m not wriggling. I think you are a bad faith debater who has no actual interest in my opinion so as I’ve told you I’m not letting you frame the debate on your terms.

I’m not wriggling. I think you are a bad faith debater who has no actual interest in my opinion so as I’ve told you I’m not letting you frame the debate on your terms.
This debate is about Corbyn's policies. Nationalising the railways was one of his key issues. Why are you so scared of answering this simple and directly related question?

But if you have no actual interest in engaging in honest debate, then why not do everyone a favour and fuck off out of this thread rather than wasting everyone's time with your dishonest, disruptive bullshit?

That the right feel more confident here just reflects changing Brixton.
Not nice for the editor. Like paying for the carpet cleaning after people you loathe vomit and piss on it again and again.
It's almost like some of are too embarrassed to admit just how right wing/pro-Tory they've become, so they just avoid any tricky topics in the hope of retaining some 'Brixton' credibility.

More fun than you can shake a stick at

funfair-brixton-2019-01.jpg

funfair-brixton-2019-03.jpg

funfair-brixton-2019-10.jpg

In photos: Winter Funland returns to a rainy Windrush Square

It struck me, a life-long Labour supporter (except at a local level) as one thing after another and it just felt too ambitious.
Better to be ambitious than just go along with the tax-shirking corporate-favouring status quo. There's plenty of money out there to pay for this kind of stuff. If the railways were nationalised, for example, all those juicy fat profits would be going back into the infrastructure rather than being siphoned off by faraway companies who are only interested in profit.

It struck me, a life-long Labour supporter (except at a local level) as one thing after another and it just felt too ambitious.
Oh not another one!

The UK is the 5th richest country in the world. Ambition, if that's what fairness is being called these days, is not a problem.
it was insane, not fair
It also didn’t work because most people thought it was unworkable

Quoting Corbyns economic advisor (spoiler: he thinks is a great plan) to bolster your argument that Corbyns economic (Corbynomics?) plan is fantastic is as bonkers as the plan itself.

I'm starting to lose my patience.

James Meadway is respected economist from the left.

I used his article as it provides a cogent argument that the Labour party manifesto should be taken sincerely.

I've tried my best to have civilised debate and all you repeat is that its "bonkers".

it was insane, not fair
It also didn’t work because most people thought it was unworkable
That's because the heavily financed right wing media and the lie-filled anti-Corbyn social media campaign kept repeating that it was 'unworkable' and people like you just blindly accepted and parroted those claims.

And the notion that Johnson's ill-thought out hard Brexit is somehow a better and safer alternative for the UK is fucking insane.

What about this instead:

Labour’s spending plans backed by more than 160 prominent economists

Labour has received the firm backing of 163 prominent economists who say the party understands the nation’s deep-seated problems and has devised a “serious programme” for dealing with them.

In a letter published in the Financial Times, the group said Labour’s plans to invest in homes, schools and infrastructure make “basic economic sense”, partly because borrowing costs are at a historic low

The group, which includes professor David Blanchflower, a former member of the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee, and Victoria Chick, emeritus professor of economics at University College London, savaged the record of the Conservative and coalition governments.
So are these peoples views "bonkers" / "insane"?

Has the UK Politics forum closed down?

Thing is the Brixton forum has become place where posters can post pretty right wing views and get away with it.

On politics boards they would get short shrift.

Mr Retro does not live anywhere near South London but still graces Brixton forum with his views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom