Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and on the slim chance that any of these fuckers are reading this, here's my message to the shitheads who have moved into the old squats opposite the Albert and complained about the noise: FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING SELFISH CUNTS.

The pub has now had its licence cut back to 2am. :mad:

Oh, and on the slim chance that any of these fuckers are reading this, here's my message to the shitheads who have moved into the old squats opposite the Albert and complained about the noise: FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING SELFISH CUNTS.

That's ridiculous.

Is this is licensing committee decision?

Top of brixton hill. Someone under the bus, seems like. :( Don't know how bad. Some buses seem to have been diverted but others not.

That's ridiculous.

Is this is licensing committee decision?
Not entirely sure about how it came about, but am entirely sure that (a) some nu-residents have been complaining and (b) my night now has to end early.

A few years back, we used to be able to go on till 3am until some dickhead moved in right next door to the pub and started whining, so that took us back to 2.30am, and now it's 2am.

This is fucked...

Not entirely sure about how it came about, but am entirely sure that (a) some nu-residents have been complaining and (b) my night now has to end early.

A few years back, we used to be able to go on till 3am until some dickhead moved in right next door to the pub and started whining, so that took us back to 2.30am, and now it's 2am.
This is becoming a regular thing now with lambeth,It has happened to a couple of other places that i dj at and is very unfair to the venue.The council issue these late and extended licenses at a huge cost to the venue and as soon as someone complains the council impose all sorts of restrictions and amendments without recompense.

You're right about the ad hoc nature of the Dunns shop. But I don't think the video clip & photo are of Dunns. The Dunn & Co shop was roughly where Vodaphone now is, but projected out the width of one railway arch under the high level bridge as can be seen from that 1975 photo on Flikr.

You would have the complete width of the current Smiths & Sainsburys between Dunns & the Brixton underground station, whereas the film clip does show the flames adjacent to the Brixton Station sign.

That is why I am suggesting 7-Eleven as the towering inferno - together with the fact I remember seeing it the day after it got burnt out.
Can you remember if there was a shoe shop on that parade called Saxone? I seem to remember it but not sure of its exact location.

I was buying stuff in Poundland yesterday at nearly six pm - the woman serving me looked tired so I commented that it must be nearly home time and was shocked when she said said she was working 'til eight but the shops open 'til ten - did I hear right? Why would people want to shop in poundland on a saturday night? Is this what Poundland make minimum wage / workfare workers do or do they have any choice?

It started staying open later a while back. Same with the 99p shop further down the road.

They wouldn’t keep it open later if there was not enough people shopping at that time of night.

I think it was there. There was that shoe shop and Freeman hardy Willis which my friend work at as a Saturday girl. I worked at H. Samuels - put me off retail work.

I had a saturday job in the diy shop(Ellis's) on Brixton Hill next door to the Telegraph pub, It bored me to tears but the £10 i got paid eased the pain.

Can you remember if there was a shoe shop on that parade called Saxone? I seem to remember it but not sure of its exact location.
Trying to think. I reckon there was Saxone, Dulcis, Ravel, Clarkes and Stylo back around 1980.
Clarkes you will be familiar with - only closed about a year ago near Bodyshop.
Timpson is now the Beehive.
Stylo was in a railway arch on Atlantic road more or less backing onto C+F.

As for Saxone, Dulcis and Ravel - I think 2 were up where JD Sports now is side by side in single width shops.
The other was I think where the mobile phone zone is now. Which was where I can't remember.

Maybe someone else' can help?

It wasn't Clarkes, it was an independent shoe shop called Websters. Such a shame it closed down.
Remembered here:

websters-brixton-closes.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/websters-shoe-shop-closes-for-after-140-years-of-service-to-brixton/

It started staying open later a while back. Same with the 99p shop further down the road.

They wouldn’t keep it open later if there was not enough people shopping at that time of night.

I wonder why. What a sham. Are there lots of other shops open in Brixton then? We're all glad of open all hours corner shops (I remember life before them) - but how are the small shops to survive if all the big chains are always open.

When are min wage retail workers supposed to have any home life, social life or rest?

Who has a desparate need for all this shopping on a Sat night? do many people shop really then? come on, who on here is guilty?

Not for gentlemen.

one thing about Clarks shoes is the quality, I had a couple of pairs of nature treks off Websters which would have been more apart from the fact they were so long lasting, after the sad demise of websters there was still the man known as Ras Clark who operated out of station road with a fine selection of originals.... is he still trading ?

I wonder why. What a sham. Are there lots of other shops open in Brixton then? We're all glad of open all hours corner shops (I remember life before them) - but how are the small shops to survive if all the big chains are always open.

When are min wage retail workers supposed to have any home life, social life or rest?

Who has a desparate need for all this shopping on a Sat night? do many people shop really then? come on, who on here is guilty?

H&M is open till about 8pm. M&S is open till 10pm and both Sainsburys are open late. As are lots of the newsagents and of course the takeaways on the High St. Parts of retail have been during unsociable hours for many years. I was working shifts till 10pm at night in Sainsburys back in the mid 90s and lots of my friends were too. I will often pop into either at around 8pm or 9pm if I'm back late and need to pick something up.

one thing about Clarks shoes is the quality, I had a couple of pairs of nature treks off Websters which would have been more apart from the fact they were so long lasting, after the sad demise of websters there was still the man known as Ras Clark who operated out of station road with a fine selection of originals.... is he still trading ?

He's still there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom