Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, even for the usual standards of the Brixton news, rumour and general chat thread, this April 2014 edition will certainly come second to none on the facepalm stakes. And there are still 13 hours to go.

The arguments made by both camps on their websites are persuasive. Except, I wouldn't ever want to side with Boris Johnson.
Does anyone who uses the tube regularly want to see it entirely automated, all human contact removed, ticket offices shut?

You can be sure the Tories want to privatise it. Charge the passengers more, cost the government more and have some foreign government's national rail service run it and cream off the profit to improve the lot of the passengers in their own country.

Does anyone who uses the tube regularly want to see it entirely automated, all human contact removed, ticket offices shut?

You can be sure the Tories want to privatise it. Charge the passengers more, cost the government more and have some foreign government's national rail service run it and cream off the profit to improve the lot of the passengers in their own country.

Just like the power industry!

RMTgrillmarketsign.jpg

Apparently caused outrage

Care to elaborate on this fascinating theory?

That's the part you choose to focus on? Regardless, don't take it too literally but you could argue that if everyone took the attitude of refusing to cross any picket line, it would have disastrous knock-on effects with every group striking over reasons of ever diminishing importance as they know the company would struggle to survive a total loss of revenue. However, as I say; don't take it too literally

That's the part you choose to focus on? Regardless, don't take it too literally but you could argue that if everyone took the attitude of refusing to cross any picket line, it would have disastrous knock-on effects with every group striking over reasons of ever diminishing importance as they know the company would struggle to survive a total loss of revenue. However, as I say; don't take it too literally
Exactly how many picket lines do you expect to encounter in your everyday life?

If you choose to withhold the argument that could persuade me not to use the tube on strike days, then so be it.

If you choose to be obtuse, or actually genuinely can't see how crossing the picket and using the tube during the strike undermines that strike, then there's no helping, or reasoning with you.

But then... We knew that already.

If you choose to be obtuse, or actually genuinely can't see how crossing the picket and using the tube during the strike undermines that strike, then there's no helping, or reasoning with you.

But then... We knew that already.
So I've undermined my support for the tube workers by using the tube? If only you'd told me before Monday evening. :facepalm:

We'll agree to disagree. I was taught never to cross a picket under any circumstances - and when I make my way to work via train or bus tomorrow, avoiding the tube despite it probably running at least a partial service, then my conscience will be clear, as I have not crossed a picket.

Yup. Never cross a picket line - your own or those of others.
I'm fully aware of how many people (I'd speculate it's the majority) think it's fine, that it's okay for them to cross if it isn't their strike. If they were unionised themselves, would they be so quick to do so? IME they wouldn't. They'd realise that showing solidarity is important, not just to the strikers, but to your own sense of self, and self-respect.

"Crossing a picket line" to me only really refers to staff who disagree with the strike who decide to work. If staff at the gas works went on strike I'm pretty sure I'd still heat my house. If the BBC staff went on strike, I'm pretty sure I'd still watch TV.

In your lifetime, has anyone ever acted altruisticly toward you? If so, then you should have some idea of why it might be a good idea to show solidarity to fellow workers, rather than thinking only of your own convenience.

If you refused to cross every "picket line", you'd never get anything done!

You'd get everything done, just slightly more slowly.

I don't expect people not to consume BBC News when I'm on strike tbh.

I did once chat abuse (a monologue delivered in a monotone about why scabs were disgusting examples of humanity) at a Radio London reporter on Waterloo station who was out soliciting vox pops while most of their reporters were striking back in the mid '80s. He blushed quite a lot. TBF, I wouldn't have castigated people for listening to the broadcast. I would have castigated, for example, people delivering stuff to Radio London's studios on the strike day, though.

I don't use it regularly or even semi-regularly anymore, but I don't like using public transport where there's no human contact.

I also know that some people who're not as familiar with the system as regular users are, find the staff and ticket offices immensely helpful. I won't claim that they pay for themselves in terms of public goodwill, but I reckon the first decent tourist summer after this goes through (if it does) will show what an appallingly-stupid idea it is/was.

That's the part you choose to focus on? Regardless, don't take it too literally but you could argue that if everyone took the attitude of refusing to cross any picket line, it would have disastrous knock-on effects with every group striking over reasons of ever diminishing importance...

Except that with a few minor exceptions, that's not really ever happened worth a damn, strike being the weapon of last, not first resort.

as they know the company would struggle to survive a total loss of revenue. However, as I say; don't take it too literally

You could also argue (and you'd have history on your side) that if more solidarity were shown by members of the public (who might or might not be unionised in their own workplaces themselves) to strikers, then the bosses wouldn't try to get away with quite so much shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom