Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haircut Sir used to be shocking when Hendo went there many moons ago. Has it improved?

Well, based on those prices I guess the gentrification and Claphamisation of Brixton is not quite yet complete. I haven't checked their prices recently, but years ago the various hairdressers around Clapham Common were charging around £20 for a hair cut- safe to say they'll be at least £25 now. And in Chelsea, a run-of-the-mill hairdresser charges £28.95 for a gents haircut- don't even ask about 'designer' hair saloons.

ETA: Just remember a friend who enquired at a hairdresser in Herne Hill and was told it'd be 30 fucking quid.

Well, based on those prices I guess the gentrification and Claphamisation of Brixton is not quite yet complete. I haven't checked their prices recently, but years ago the various hairdressers around Clapham Common were charging around £20 for a hair cut- safe to say they'll be at least £25 now. And in Chelsea, a run-of-the-mill hairdresser charges £28.95 for a gents haircut- don't even ask about 'designer' hair saloons.

ETA: Just remember a friend who enquired at a hairdresser in Herne Hill and was told it'd be 30 fucking quid.

I would estimate there are 3 or 4 barbers between Clapham North and Clapham Common where you can get a haircut for £10-12. the posh ones right on the edge of the Common are a different matter, I recall being shocked by yummy mummies bragging their sprogs were clients of the junior branch of Willy Smarts, whatever it was called, at some astronomical cost, the pudding bowl and hand operated clippers were good enough for me.....tbh you could not tell the difference.

In one of the posh ones they offer you beer (though I'm sure they must charge for it). It is rather weird to see several blokes sitting having their hair cut whilst drinking bottles of Kronenbourg.

In one of the posh ones they offer you beer (though I'm sure they must charge for it). It is rather weird to see several blokes sitting having their hair cut whilst drinking bottles of Kronenbourg.
before I bought my clippers I used to go to a bloke in kennington just by the white bear, he would skiffle my nut once a week for £12 a month. the difference was he would be drinking beer as he clipped ....and lunchtimes for one hour he closed and went to the pub.

Went to the Brindisa cheese-on-toast emporium last night (not my choice of venue I have to stress). 6/10. Still hungry afterwards. Fuller report in due course.

No. Really? I fear the Albert is going to end up with door staff sooner or later but I really don't like pubs with security lurking by the door.

I think it's bound to happen at some point unfortunately :( We popped into the Grosvenor last night and they had door staff as well. I can't think of many pubs that don't have them at the weekend now. Albert, Beehive and possibly the Craft Beer place and Kaff?

I think it's bound to happen at some point unfortunately :( We popped into the Grosvenor last night and they had door staff as well. I can't think of many pubs that don't have them at the weekend now. Albert, Beehive and possibly the Craft Beer place and Kaff?
and SW9

I would estimate there are 3 or 4 barbers between Clapham North and Clapham Common where you can get a haircut for £10-12. the posh ones right on the edge of the Common are a different matter, I recall being shocked by yummy mummies bragging their sprogs were clients of the junior branch of Willy Smarts, whatever it was called, at some astronomical cost, the pudding bowl and hand operated clippers were good enough for me.....tbh you could not tell the difference.

I'm not gonna pay through the nose for my daughter to get her hair cut however I will not subject my daughter to a pudding basin haircut. I got called mushroom head cos of my hair cut til my mum let me grow it when i was 11. See on this thread.

The High Street is heavy on the preachers today. There is one particularly shouty one. And the Dianetics crowd are outside Sainsbury's.

What's all the writing chalked on the floor by the Scientolonutters about? I took a quick pic as I sped by and it's going on about cigarette butts.

Kaff has a doorman on weekends too. The Albert is the only bar left on the Brixton end of Coldharbour Lane without door staff on weekends now.

I'm not gonna pay through the nose for my daughter to get her hair cut however I will not subject my daughter to a pudding basin haircut. I got called mushroom head cos of my hair cut til my mum let me grow it when i was 11. See on this thread.

Sorry to hear that but we used a big bowl and called it an asymmetric bob :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom