Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Yes and affected me as a resident. The traffic built up at both ends of the road and had a knock on effect for some distance. Just like how an an LTN in Croydon is now affecting Bromley so much one is thinking of taking legal action against the other.

Then factor in the little personal things which you don't realise until these are in place . No visitors even with permits, if you want a taxi you have to meet them at the end of the road. Amazon deliveries would get to you but if you had a worse company like hermes or a.n.other you could bet they would skip your delivery and let the next days driver do it because they didn't want to park up another street and walk it.
This isn't true. Seems like a lot of problems with this are understanding not the LTN

Emergency services can use the LTNs as they like- use them as shortcuts etc- so this suggest a misunderstanding

Agree. However their early complaints were that they were stuck at barriers and the fire brigade reported heavy congestion.. 'Gridlock'. Access to a few streets is little consolation when looking at half a mile of traffic on a main road and driving one of the largest response vehicles we have.

Agree. However their early complaints were that they were stuck at barriers and the fire brigade reported heavy congestion.. 'Gridlock'. Access to a few streets is little consolation when looking at half a mile of traffic on a main road and driving one of the largest response vehicles we have.
how can they be stuck at barriers? There aren't any. There are planters. And the point is that while everyone else chugs down a main road, the ambulances etc can take shortcuts.

how can they be stuck at barriers? There aren't any. There are planters. And the point is that while everyone else chugs down a main road, the ambulances etc can take shortcuts.

We were discussing the LJ LTN which blocked off routes. Not literal barriers but barriers of entry. Access roads closed.

So stuff years and years ago that doesn’t apply now is being drawn forward to try and undermine what’s being done now? What an odd approach,

Past experience of an LTN on our doorstep. A few years ago.

Yet people laud about some study written 20 years ago and taking data from the 70's and as far as Australia like its the 10 commandments and one god will come and evaporate traffic.

Well I can only speak about the one I'm close to, Railton, but there are loads of cyclists using that road now.

I'm also close to Railton. The number of cyclists has increased dramatically. People are losing sight of the aim of the LTNs here. If Covid thrives at 4C or thereabouts and assuming it will be delighted to piggy-back on the flu virus, things could get very, very nasty in the winter. Anything to lessen pressure on public transport will surely be a good thing at that point.

Petition hits a thousand signatures

It's hard to tell with this type of petition what % are locals, vs the % who are the drivers from outside the area who the LTN is meant to inconvenience vs the % of non-locals who hate all LTNs - these petitions get circulated on Twitter and Facebook so it's hard to know if they can be trusted (I feel the same about any petitions the other way)

And don't forget the Association of British Drivers who have told me they are too busy to give me any examples of alternatives to LTNs ( of which there are many apparently) because they are fighting LTNs all around the country. They are sharing details of local petitions/feedback websites on their national website and calling for members to sign them.

This was about the LJ scheme. They were stuck at barriers because in that scheme, Lambeth had somehow managed to install physical barriers at locations where they were not supposed to. These physical barriers were removed a few weeks after installation.

This was about the LJ scheme. They were stuck at barriers because in that scheme, Lambeth had somehow managed to install physical barriers at locations where they were not supposed to. These physical barriers were removed a few weeks after installation.
I live there I don't remember this at all. Can you remind us of the location/s (pssst: I think we all know you can't)?

It's hard to tell with this type of petition what % are locals, vs the % who are the drivers from outside the area who the LTN is meant to inconvenience vs the % of non-locals who hate all LTNs - these petitions get circulated on Twitter and Facebook so it's hard to know if they can be trusted (I feel the same about any petitions the other way)

The same applies to the Lambeth commonplace website for comments on the scheme. How to verify if comments come from people living in the area is not possible

One aim of LTNs is to make car journeys inside the LTNs a bit longer as well. To encourage people to walk instead.

So LTNs aren't just about stopping/ inconveniencing through traffic.

Then factor in the little personal things which you don't realise until these are in place . No visitors even with permits, if you want a taxi you have to meet them at the end of the road. Amazon deliveries would get to you but if you had a worse company like hermes or a.n.other you could bet they would skip your delivery and let the next days driver do it because they didn't want to park up another street and walk it.
I don't quite understand this - the road was closed to motor vehicles only at one point wasn't it? So you could drive up to the closure point from either side? Why no visitors?

I live there I don't remember this at all. Can you remind us of the location/s (pssst: I think we all know you can't)?

Yes, they are stated in an officer's email in an appendix to the Lambeth report:

I would like to confirm the temporary barriers were introduced at four locations on 11 September. These were at Barrington Road, Gordon Grove, Calais Street and Lilford Road. At Barrington Road, a 3 metre gap was maintained for the emergency services at all times. Loughborough Road has remained fully open for the emergency services and buses except for a Car Free Day event on Saturday 26 September.

The temporary barriers at Barrington Road, Lilford Road and Gordon Grove were removed on 24 September and the barriers at Calais Street were removed on 5 October.

The LJ scheme is relevant as it was Lambeth failing abysmally to consult and get people on side to support the scheme.

The Pandemic has meant that Lambeth have been able to put schemes in place without full consultation beforehand.

As I've said previously Im not happy with this.

Let's a supposed Labour Coop Council off the hook.

In theory full consultation will resume once pandemic is over. I really hope this time Council will have all the research done on how these temporary LTNs have worked. Changes to traffic etc.

So people living in the LTNs can decide if they want them or not Or want to keep them with changes.

Such as free movement in LTN for Blue badge holder. Or remove filter on Shakespeare road.

Last edited:
Petition hits a thousand signatures

Read some of the comments and looks like a lot of local people have signed it. Recognise one local name.

So this petition is not to be laughed at.

Or dismissed as a put up job by the car lobby.

A lot of the opposition to these LTN would go if people who live in them could have an exemption to allow them to get around the "filters".

Railton Road LTN is largely for reducing through traffic on Railton road.

This from what Ive seen looking at the Commonplace website is supported by residents.

The overwhelming amount of traffic in Railton LTN was traffic not stopping there just going through.

So seems to me reasonable compromise to make. Allow people living in the Railton LTN area to be able to go through the filters. Whilst stopping all the through traffic that is not stopping just going through.

Last edited:
So you don't think much of the opposition is actually to do with concerns about traffic being concentrated around the peripheries?

So you don't think much of the opposition is actually to do with concerns about traffic being concentrated around the peripheries?

Yes I do as well. As you know Ive posted previously.

Thankyou for pointing it out so I can repeat what I said previously.

Unless anything has changed on the Commonplace website and now those on periphery love the LTN

Im trying to think of practical ways that an LTN could be accepted by a local community.

Without a repeat of what I saw happen in LJ. The divisions. resentments and distrust of Council still simmer away in LJ. Despite the road closures being dropped some years back. It did the community in LJ no good imo.

Last edited:
A lot of the opposition to these LTN would go if people who live in them could have an exemption to allow them to get around the "filters".

Railton Road LTN is largely for reducing through traffic on Railton road.

This from what Ive seen looking at the Commonplace website is supported by residents.

The overwhelming amount of traffic in Railton LTN was traffic not stopping there just going through.

So seems to me reasonable compromise to make. Allow people living in the Railton LTN area to be able to go through the filters. Whilst stopping all the through traffic that is not stopping just going through.
How would you define people living in the Railton LTN area though?

You’ve got to weigh up the cost of administering a system like that vs people having an extra 10 mins on their journey.

Back
Top Bottom