Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

You can get to the Croydon Ikea on the tram. Heavy stuff you can give them to deliver later. You can take the tealights with you. You can have some meatballs and get the tram home again. Once you get home, you can put the tealights into the box that most people have at the back of a cupboard somewhere, which contains hundreds of unused tealights that haven't been unpacked since the last time they moved house.

You can get to the Croydon Ikea on the tram. Heavy stuff you can give them to deliver later. You can take the tealights with you. You can have some meatballs and get the tram home again. Once you get home, you can put the tealights into the box that most people have at the back of a cupboard somewhere, which contains hundreds of unused tealights that haven't been unpacked since the last time they moved house.
You can never have too many tealights. Unless you are empty inside.

Is the traffic on Coldharbour Lane supposed to go down at some point as part of this scheme, or is more pollution and congestion a given for residents in the future?

1596486754464.png

They don't deliver the little tealights piled up by the tills. And I like meatballs. Although I'm wavering since they stopped stocking salty liquorice fish.
You're seriously thinking of driving from. Brixton to IKEA in Croydon to buy some tealights and meatballs?

Exciting news!! Ikea launched their plant based balls exactly yesterday. See you there!!

After trying both in the canteen last time we were there we decided their existing vegetarian meatballs were nicer than the meat ones in any case.

It's less than 7 miles to Ikea croydon and you're buying stuff that would be easily carried in a small pannier or rucksack. Google says if you leave now it will take you 31 minutes in the car and 36 minutes by bike. it's the very definition of a cycle-able trip.

I don't cycle south that often and the main road to Ikea can be a bit wild (although a lot of it is bus lane). Google offers a route that's still only 45 minutes that goes through Tooting Common, Figges Marsh and across Mitcham Common that might be pleasant. cycle.travel journey planner has a 49 minute route that seems to run entirely along backstreet cycle routes (though unless they're through low traffic neighbourhoods they're often unpleasant due to rat running).

Can you link the article? I need ammunition to try to have reasonable conversations about facts with the rage-driving tory acolytes on Nextdoor.
Er, it was on twitter! Impossible to search and nada in my web history.... It may have been NYT. Let me see what I can find

(And I’ve given up on nextdoor. My local one is regular adverts for home barbering services including body, and debates about how people look after their cats)

Can you link the article? I need ammunition to try to have reasonable conversations about facts with the rage-driving tory acolytes on Nextdoor.
Same here, I always thought urban had angry people (no offence meant) but stick a LTN in and Nextdoor is full of enraged people. Still mostly lost cats though

There's a fair bit of info here

You can also look up the various reports on what happened in Ghent.

There are various links throughout this thread if you have the energy to go through it.

Most of these things seem to see reasonably consistent results: traffic on a load of streets (inside and outside of the LTN) goes down a lot, and it goes up a bit on certain main roads bordering the LTN. Usually it doesn't go up as much as is feared/assumed, and usually main roads can absorb a bit extra without the effects being dramatic. It seems that the increase in measured air pollution tends to be a lower % increase than the measured increase in traffic volume.

Importantly, the volume of traffic throughout the area sees a substantial net decline.

None of this answers your specific question about the timescale on which the initial (and not unexpected) congestion declines to its "settled" level. My understanding is that it's usually on a weeks/months sort of scale rather than longer.

Without reading all 42 pages of this thread, can anyone tell me whether I can (without getting filmed and fined) still go up Railton Road and park in the motorbike bay at the top end of Chaucer Road to go shopping? Does that count as access? Or if I'm visiting someone in the closed area, does that count as access?

Without reading all 42 pages of this thread, can anyone tell me whether I can (without getting filmed and fined) still go up Railton Road and park in the motorbike bay at the top end of Chaucer Road to go shopping? Does that count as access? Or if I'm visiting someone in the closed area, does that count as access?
You can go anywhere in the zone. Just don't go through the gates. If you approach Chaucer from Dulwich Road you won't even see the gates.

Back
Top Bottom