Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

The article doesn't explain what's allowed this - has there been a change in legislation, or is this a one off trial with a possible change in legislation if seen as successful?

With a lot of modern cars now it's easier to drive at this speed too - they'll either be automatic or have cruise control/speed limiters. Set it and just calm down.

There is some great stuff on this twitter feed.

Apparently this was a petition

“ We the undersigned petition the council to Stop blocking the roads cause traffic and remove traffic speed 20mph to 30mph enough is enough”

Does anyone know what this means ?

Although I do not know of Martin Abrams nor his views on LTNs etc, I am pretty sure I can work out where his sympathies now lie, following the experience as he reports it

Last edited:
Theres a reason that people who support these schemes don't turn up to these meetings - yet another one where it sounds like anyone speaking in favour was shouted down and abused.

OneLambeth had protest after protest where almost no-one showed up, all the onesie 'votethemout' rhetoric saw councillors returned with increased majorities across London. Yet they then think that a show of angry hands by a tiny minority of the population of the area is somehow representative.

It seems the Haringey onesies held a protest the other night, complete with Hearse. A couple of dozen protestors is all they managed.. Haringey.png

Theres a reason that people who support these schemes don't turn up to these meetings - yet another one where it sounds like anyone speaking in favour was shouted down and abused.

OneLambeth had protest after protest where almost no-one showed up, all the onesie 'votethemout' rhetoric saw councillors returned with increased majorities across London. Yet they then think that a show of angry hands by a tiny minority of the population of the area is somehow representative.

From Twitter it sounded a bit grim.

I wonder what will happen with that one. On one hand they seem quite organised and passionate, on the other hand they just re-elected 2 Labour councillors on a broadly pro LTN platform, borough wide at least.

I wonder what will happen with that one. On one hand they seem quite organised and passionate, on the other hand they just re-elected 2 Labour councillors on a broadly pro LTN platform, borough wide at least.
If the figure is reliable, more than 250 attendees is a surprising number of people.

I don't know what the political make up is in those wards but if it is anything like here, very little is going to shift an election result. I rather suspect that Labour councilors could propose removal of the LTNs and would still get elected, such is voter intransigence. And lack of credible choice. Which is I guess why such a proportion of people feel that they are poorly represented. If councilors did this it would just mean a different group of "passionate" residents vying loudly for attention.

If the figure is reliable, more than 250 attendees is a surprising number of people.

I don't know what the political make up is in those wards but if it is anything like here, very little is going to shift an election result. I rather suspect that Labour councilors could propose removal of the LTNs and would still get elected, such is voter intransigence. And lack of credible choice. Which is I guess why such a proportion of people feel that they are poorly represented. If councilors did this it would just mean a different group of "passionate" residents vying loudly for attention.
I think that’s probably true if they had stood on that ticket. What they would have trouble with would be arguing for removal after standing on the ticket of supporting LTNs.

Streatham Wells had been Labour since 2014, like a lot of places in Lambeth. Before that it was Lib Dem and I assume it was Conservative before that.

Lib Dems got an ok second there in last two elections but like the Greens there's only so many places they can run an effective campaign against Lambeth Labour's domination.

I had thought between mid 2020 till early 2022 it might have been possible for a party or organised pressure group could win seats off Labour but the Conservatives went all in on the anti campaign and lost badly and One Lambeth proved to be a busted flush.

A friend of mine went and left after 30 minutes as she was starting to get frightened by the anger of the people sitting next to her. She supports the LTN but I bet if she had stayed when they asked for a show of hands in support she would have kept hers down ☹️

At least £60k across these two:

At least £60k across these two:
There was a third one before as well. Never seen it explained why they needed different fundraisers. Seems suspect tbh.

The first one the two I shared was the original court action, the second for the appeal so as much as I think it's a waste of money I do think that makes sense

This part of a press release I received:

Streatham Action - the community forum for Streatham - hosted a packed public meeting of upwards of 300 at St Peter’s Church, Leigham Court Road on Tuesday evening.

Anyone confirm this figure?

Back
Top Bottom