Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

You mean Pablo Neruda Close, Derek Walcott Close etc?
Of course when these were built we were in the Bellos era and the primary issue was to promote "positive image" as regards third world poets - especially if they has been hounded by the Pinochett regime of Chile.
The Moorlands Estate had been built less than 10 years earlier with ample car ownership provision - which still exists now.
In fact I would venture to suggest that many social housing developments in the 1980s and earlier saw the car as a human right of the tenants.
Look at this extraordinary Metropolitan Housing development from the late 1980s - replacing a building burnt down in the Cherry Groce riot of 1985
Instead of the ground floor furniture shop we now have a dead zone of a crack-secure parking space, whose cars tend to languish gathering dust and rust.
What a waste of space!
View attachment 317578
They never used the floor that was set aside for car parking in the Barrier Block....

Totally agree about the waste of the space in the block opposite. Some cars in there have been gathering dust for years!

Meanwhile in Soho....

A lot of replies to this seem basically to be saying that motor traffic is needed to displace outdoor tables which caused noise problems.

There's obviously an argument to be had about whether the noise that comes from outdoors eating/drinking is inappropriate for somewhere like Soho. But even if you agree it's a problem - is there a worse way to solve it, than by using motor vehicles to keep people off the street?

Meanwhile in Soho....

A lot of replies to this seem basically to be saying that motor traffic is needed to displace outdoor tables which caused noise problems.

There's obviously an argument to be had about whether the noise that comes from outdoors eating/drinking is inappropriate for somewhere like Soho. But even if you agree it's a problem - is there a worse way to solve it, than by using motor vehicles to keep people off the street?

Indeed - there was an issue with noise but could be easily solved by stopping outside music & limiting outside tables. There’s never been a problem where the solution is more cars!

If I understand correctly then the case may go to the Supreme Court, but if this application to stay fails it may be fighting against a traffic order that's no longer in place. So I guess that means there's a small chance that the appeal wins but it won't matter because it would be asking the council to retake a decision it has no interest in taking again.

What's an "application to stay"?
I think in legal speak it means to wait for something else before it is decided upon. In this case its probably because the permanent traffic orders have to be challenged within a specific timeframe so One Lambeth want to lodge their challenge but then stay it until they find out about Supreme Court bid. I might be wrong though but looking at their FB group it looks that way.

What's an "application to stay"?
“From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Englishstay an order/ruling/execution etclaw if a judge stays an order, ruling etc, they stop a particular decision from being used or a particular action from happening”

so I guess they want to stop the traffic orders taking permanent effect (so that they can try to block them). which is odd, because I thought the point of law they’d appealed on was about process/decisions when the temp orders were made - whether psed could be considered on a rolling basis.
Now the perm orders were made with the benefit of evidence from the trial so surely that appeal would not affect them

Are any of the onesies standing for election to get rid of ltns by democratic means rather than spurious lawsuits?.
They’re all Tories now! Assume they’ll spin even the slightest uptick in their votes as a huge vote against LTNs.

Here’s their ‘analysis’ of Streatham Hill East. Not sure why they think the Lib Dems are opposed to them though.

DC88E976-C5D8-4C7E-84EB-598F8681CC1A.jpeg

They’re all Tories now! Assume they’ll spin even the slightest uptick in their votes as a huge vote against LTNs.

Here’s their ‘analysis’ of Streatham Hill East. Not sure why they think the Lib Dems are opposed to them though.

View attachment 319642
So the new Streatham East ward seems to be old Streatham Hill east of the A23 plus a bit of what was Wells.

Assembly member vote from May (which is probably the most 'neutral' indication of politics) was 48% Labour, 22% Green, 15% Tory, 12% Libdem. Greens were up vs 2016 council elections, every one else down (labour by c1%, tory down by 2%)

At various points the Lambeth Greens seem to have been a bit quiet about the LTN issue - as if hedging their bets on what way opinion was going.

But having just looked at their current "pledges" they seem to be fairy unambiguous -

Drastically reducing the number of cars on Lambeth’s streets

Our vision for Lambeth involves a whole borough/holistic approach to make it safer and more attractive to walk, cycle, scoot or use public transport in Lambeth.

To do this we would introduce low-traffic neighbourhoods as well as promoting schemes for car-sharing amongst neighbours. We would also ensure fully segregated cycle tracks on main roads; only then will it truly feel safe enough for people to choose to walk, cycle or scoot instead of drive. We would also invest in secure bike storage, introducing many more bike hangar spaces for cyclists to store their bikes, and introduce cargo bike parking areas in town centres.

We will incorporate the insight of Disability Advice Service Lambeth, TfL, car clubs and ‘Wheels For Wellbeing’. We will ensure Blue badge exemption and Disabled Freedom Pass applications are straightforward.

Tackling rat-running

Tackling rat-running by the introduction of ‘Liveable Neighbourhoods’ in order to prioritise walking and cycling and ‘access only’ for residents with cars. Therefore diverting traffic away from these areas.

At various points the Lambeth Greens seem to have been a bit quiet about the LTN issue - as if hedging their bets on what way opinion was going.

But having just looked at their current "pledges" they seem to be fairy unambiguous -

I suppose it is easier now the issue is settling down. Different when the chips are down.

I would love to vote green in this election because of the climate crisis and because of the undemocratic nature of progress and the cabinet system, but fuck me if I am going to play into the car nuts / tory cunts’ plans to spin this so I will be holding my nose and voting labour.

Are any of the onesies standing for election to get rid of ltns by democratic means rather than spurious lawsuits?.
This is where, again I think the one campaign show either naivety or bad judgment. If they’d used the money raised to date to fund several single issue candidates in some of these wards, it would have forced the issue to be talked about on the doorsteps and might have persuaded voters who have previously voted Labour to vote for them. It’s a hell of a step for a traditional Labour voter to vote conservative, they are more likely to not vote. I think Tim Briggs has tried to spin it to vote Tory, wrong move.

I would love to vote green in this election because of the climate crisis and because of the undemocratic nature of progress and the cabinet system, but fuck me if I am going to play into the car nuts / tory cunts’ plans to spin this so I will be holding my nose and voting labour.
I can't vote for Lambeth Labour any more.

I think the vast majority of residents in Streatham Hill East will be pro LTN, so I will be surprised if Tories can increase their vote share significantly. They will certainly be far short of Labour and probably short of Greens as well.

Also let's face it, Boris Johnson's party is not exactly basking in popularity right now, so I would say it's safe to vote for who you want to win rather than voting tactically.

I'd personally love to see more Green councillors to help hold the Labour administration to account on their climate pledges.

As a measure of how low the Tories are in the polls right now there's an article in the Guardian suggesting they might lose Wandsworth.

Last edited:
On local elections and LTNs:

My local election (Kings Heath in Birmingham) is the funniest I've seen in local politics, with the anti-LTN vote being split between the tories, lib dems, Worker's Revolutionary Party (Galloway's party) and a local loon who is standing as an independent and seems to have thought that because he was the admin of an anti-LTN facebook group with 2000 members (of which at least two were him, probably more) he would get a lot of votes. Then he opens his mouth on facebook, it's almost amazing how bad he is at communication. This is today's post for St George's day...

1650742568752.png
Various people have been pointing out that he's got the wrong flag.

I can't vote for Lambeth Labour any more.
A vote for Lambeth Labour is a vote for social cleansing through estate 'regeneration'.

Of course Lambeth have lost my initial support on LTNs too. Their one filter policy for people with blue badges is the most mean spirited reasonable adjustment I've ever come across. They've been forced to concede that they've not been fair to people with disabilities so have given the smallest, most insignificant and tokenistic access they could think of.
Finding it difficult to choose a party to vote for based on LTNs or anything, easier to choose a party not to vote for.

I initially thought, why not just give blue badge holders an exemption for all filters, because it wouldn't amount to a large number of extra vehicles.

However, the policy they have gone with allows a blue badge holder to nominate two cars - which can be their own, plus one owned by a carer. That looks to me like a reasonably sensible attempt to address the criticisms that thought should be given to carers and the journeys they need to make.

That significantly increases the number of exempted cars and also the number of those cars which would be taking advantage of a blanket exemption while on business that isn't related to the caring role.

Remembering (as sometimes seems to get forgotten) that the restrictions don't remove anyone's access to anywhere, but just make some journeys a bit longer, granting a single filter exemption ought really to address a large proportion of journeys to and from a particular location. That is, whenever someone complains legitimately that a journey that used to take 5 minutes now takes 15, the vast majority of those scenarios could be dealt with by removing a single filter close to the start/finish point.

But really it should be Lambeth defending the details of their chosen approach not me. I think they could do with providing a bit more explanation of why they have chosen what they have chosen.

I initially thought, why not just give blue badge holders an exemption for all filters, because it wouldn't amount to a large number of extra vehicles.

However, the policy they have gone with allows a blue badge holder to nominate two cars - which can be their own, plus one owned by a carer. That looks to me like a reasonably sensible attempt to address the criticisms that thought should be given to carers and the journeys they need to make.

That significantly increases the number of exempted cars and also the number of those cars which would be taking advantage of a blanket exemption while on business that isn't related to the caring

There are 2.3 million blue badges in the U.K. vs 32.5m cars - so a general exemption would mean approx 7% of cars would be exempt from all LTNs.

I have always believed in high quality cheap, even free public transport.

Saw someone had done the sums on this today. TfL fares income was £4.9bn pre-pandemic which, with 3.4m London households, means you'd need to find £1500 per household per year. And of course making it free would create a load more demand and with it cost (or just overcrowding), so probably more than that.

Saw someone had done the sums on this today. TfL fares income was £4.9bn pre-pandemic which, with 3.4m London households, means you'd need to find £1500 per household per year. And of course making it free would create a load more demand and with it cost (or just overcrowding), so probably more than that.
Not sure that the number of London households is the right number to look at here. I would look at the number of regular commuters who use TFL services, plus the number of regular tourists.

Both numbers went way down during the worst of the pandemic but are presumably going to recover over time. Crossrail opening soon will also be a good fare earner.

Not sure that the number of London households is the right number to look at here. I would look at the number of regular commuters who use TFL services, plus the number of regular tourists.

Both numbers went way down during the worst of the pandemic but are presumably going to recover over time. Crossrail opening soon will also be a good fare earner.
You’ve missed the point. Was suggested public transport should be free. £1500 is what it would add to council tax bills each year to cover the cost.

Back
Top Bottom