Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

A good example is the Upper Norwood LTN, which when it returns, as mostly ANPR, will have its bus gate moved to outside the doctors' surgery, so that people can access it without going through the gate. People flagged up a problem, a solution was found.
Exactly. This is what I understand as consultation, tweaking the initial designs so they work better on the ground and local people are best placed to provide this feedback

More central government momentum for traffic interventions in the news today.

Suspect Johnson didn't write this but it's a great quote:

“Of course some journeys by car are essential, but traffic is not a force of nature. It is a product of people’s choices. If you make it easier and safer to walk and cycle, more people choose to walk and cycle instead of driving, and the traffic falls overall.”

Not so immediately related to Brixton, but the DfT additional £30m of funds for active travel today, sets a hierarchy of road users (with the most vulnerable - pedestrians at the top).

Motor lobby having a bit of a nightmare over it. This is Howard Cox who was very active in the Loughborough Junction anti protests a few years back, despite living in Chislehurst. He's also the Association of British Drivers and FairFuelUK.

"This anti-car government continues to pander to a massive minority of non tax paying road users"

It's already been retweeted by the OLJ cliques.

Not so immediately related to Brixton, but the DfT additional £30m of funds for active travel today, sets a hierarchy of road users (with the most vulnerable - pedestrians at the top).

Motor lobby having a bit of a nightmare over it. This is Howard Cox who was very active in the Loughborough Junction anti protests a few years back, despite living in Chislehurst. He's also the Association of British Drivers and FairFuelUK.

"This anti-car government continues to pander to a massive minority of non tax paying road users"

Complains about £338m and then crows about depirving the treasury of £100bn from scrapping fuel duty increases.

I'm glad most people seem to be seeing through these idiots now.

Complains about £338m and then crows about depirving the treasury of £100bn from scrapping fuel duty increases.

I'm glad most people seem to be seeing through these idiots now.

what a muppet.

“Roads should be funded from general taxation” also “motorists pay for these roads!”

That’s why you have to be suspicious of some of these guys - they cannot really be this thick.

also if cyclists are middle class Lycra clad whatever’s, then they probably pay more general taxation than most of the population and so pay more than an average share of “road taxes”

alex

Last edited:
I thought the end of this article on challenges to 5G was pretty interesting.

One experienced barrister warns that legal crowdfunding is unregulated.
Barbara Rich says its importance has grown because there is little or no legal aid for many types of case. But she says there is a lack of transparency: "Contributors do not have a right to any information about a case - its prospects of success, or what its real outcome might be if it does succeed, or even what the lawyers engaged are charging - beyond what its promoter chooses to tell them."

Yes the government is so anti motorist that it's spending £27bn on new roads (vs the £338m on cycling & walking)

In her ruling, Mrs Justice Foster said: "The real issue is that the claimants disagree with a large body of international opinion as to the safety of 5G."

This case is interesting and seems to have a lot of parallels - a group claiming to be in favour of the thing it's campaigning against, continually shifting criticisms, an expensive Judicial Review - successful on a technicality - that results in the scheme going ahead regardless.

As an aside many people have 5g WiFi routers.
I've got one, but I don't use it because most of my devices can't use the signal. Roku stick, PC with a WiFi dongle, or the iffy Chinese smart tv. The only device I have which works on 5g WiFi is a knackered old Chromebook.

This case is interesting and seems to have a lot of parallels - a group claiming to be in favour of the thing it's campaigning against, continually shifting criticisms, an expensive Judicial Review - successful on a technicality - that results in the scheme going ahead regardless.

seems a really easy grift

tell the marks they’ll get what they want - the pounds roll in, when it doesn’t get them to do it again

As an aside many people have 5g WiFi routers.
I've got one, but I don't use it because most of my devices can't use the signal. Roku stick, PC with a WiFi dongle, or the iffy Chinese smart tv. The only device I have which works on 5g WiFi is a knackered old Chromebook.

Boy this is quite a tangent but "5G WiFi routers" could mean a number of things and it's all really confusing.

I've got a 5G router that connects to the Three network. It uses a 5G mobile signal, the same kind of 5G that new phones can use.
But here's where it's confusing. The WiFi it puts all around my flat uses the 802.11ax or "WiFi 6". Many use 802.11ac, or "WiFi 5" which is the fifth generation of WiFi. So 5G and WiFi 5/6 are different.
But here's where it's more confusing. The 802.11ac/WiFi 5 standards (they mean the same thing afaik) introduced 5GHz WiFi. Before this you had 2.4GHz WiFi which is still most WiFi. 5GHz is faster but has less range. Lots of new routers have 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi so you can still use older devices.
But here's where it's a bit more confusing. Some WiFi providers will use the term "5G" on their default names for the 5GHz band, so you'll get "MyHomeWiFi" and "MyHomeWiFi-5G". Unless you're already an expert or had to actually dig into this it's a fair assumption that this is the same as 5G mobile, because it's faster. But it's not!

Boy this is quite a tangent but "5G WiFi routers" could mean a number of things and it's all really confusing.

I've got a 5G router that connects to the Three network. It uses a 5G mobile signal, the same kind of 5G that new phones can use.
But here's where it's confusing. The WiFi it puts all around my flat uses the 802.11ax or "WiFi 6". Many use 802.11ac, or "WiFi 5" which is the fifth generation of WiFi. So 5G and WiFi 5/6 are different.
But here's where it's more confusing. The 802.11ac/WiFi 5 standards (they mean the same thing afaik) introduced 5GHz WiFi. Before this you had 2.4GHz WiFi which is still most WiFi. 5GHz is faster but has less range. Lots of new routers have 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi so you can still use older devices.
But here's where it's a bit more confusing. Some WiFi providers will use the term "5G" on their default names for the 5GHz band, so you'll get "MyHomeWiFi" and "MyHomeWiFi-5G". Unless you're already an expert or had to actually dig into this it's a fair assumption that this is the same as 5G mobile, because it's faster. But it's not!
5G is the 5th generation of mobile cellular standard - it’s not 5ghz.

Most of the 5G frequencies were in use before for other things.

5ghz is wifi and weather radar - and has been in use for years.

In her ruling, Mrs Justice Foster said: "The real issue is that the claimants disagree with a large body of international opinion as to the safety of 5G."

Reading this and don't see how this is relevant.

Housing campaigners get a lot of stick and your buying into it.

I see this Tory government is getting some support here for telling Councils to get on with LTNs and active travel.

The same Tory government that is forcing price rises on TFL fares with the so called deal it did wh the Mayor.

I fail to see how this constitutes a fair transition to less car use.

Last edited:
I see this Tory government is getting some support here for telling Councils to get on with LTNs and active travel.

The same Tory government that is forcing price rises on TFL fares with the so called deal it did wh the Mayor.

I fail to see how this constitutes a fair transition to less car use.
If we opposed LTNs and active travel would it lead to the TfL fare rises being abandoned?

If we opposed LTNs and active travel would it lead to the TfL fare rises being abandoned?

I've just read several pages of posts making out anyone who opposes LTNs is on the far right lunatic fringe. Or trying to link opposition to LTNs to housing campaigners. Etc

Posts that are supporting this Tory government telling Councils to get on with it are completely uncritical of the fact that the same Tory government is doing fuck all for public transport.

So its OK to support a very right wing Tory government. Anti woke , hard line on asylum seekers etc. But anyone who might object to LTNs? Apparently they are loony right.

FFS

I like to think I'm not so unsophisticated that I have to put everything from a government I don't generally approve of into a big bucket marked BAD STUFF.

In separate comments, Boris Johnson warned councils that he was serious about boosting active travel, saying that “trying to squeeze more cars and delivery vans on the same roads and hoping for the best is not going to work”.

“I support councils, of all parties, which are trying to promote cycling and bus use,” the prime minister said. “And if you are going to oppose these schemes, you must tell us what your alternative is.”

bloke is a cunt, but he’s dead right about this.

In separate comments, Boris Johnson warned councils that he was serious about boosting active travel, saying that “trying to squeeze more cars and delivery vans on the same roads and hoping for the best is not going to work”.

“I support councils, of all parties, which are trying to promote cycling and bus use,” the prime minister said. “And if you are going to oppose these schemes, you must tell us what your alternative is.”

bloke is a cunt, but he’s dead right about this.

Agree - pretty sure it’s Andrew Gilligan’s words who I’ve got a fair bit of time for.

Back
Top Bottom