Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I have answered it. They already have decades of data of what happened before LTNs were introduced and those statistics will still be compiled now as all accidents are recorded.

But with absolutely zero evidence of any rise in accidents and deaths outside LTNs - but clear evidence of a huge drop inside LTNs - I'm curious as to what grounds you can now possibly 1. oppose LTNs and 2. oppose the wider roll out of LTNs.
The data was before LTNs were introduced? Yes? So, once they have been introduced then it is fair to see what the data says both inside and outside the relevant area after implementation. I’m asking why the data set doesn’t look at what happens outside.

No you don't. And I've answered your question twice now, so perhaps you can now answer mine: if all the evidence points to LTNs creating a dramatic reduction in injuries and deaths, and no evidence that those accidents are displaced elsewhere, surely you must fully support LTNs?

Or do you think that the right to drive wherever you want comes first, and the health and safety of the community comes second?
You’ve just pointed to data which doesn’t include what happens outside. Of course I support a lowering in crime, I welcome it and am delighted that we have data to show it is lowered inside LTNs. I am asking why the data set doesn’t extend to outside LTNs after their implementation

The data was before LTNs were introduced? Yes? So, once they have been introduced then it is fair to see what the data says both inside and outside the relevant area after implementation. I’m asking why the data set doesn’t look at what happens outside.
You can go online and search the data yourself FFS. It's not some big mystery.

1627123408295.png

And now answer my question please.

Apologies if my post wasn’t clear. i was saying that in my experience the yummy mummy’s and dapper dads I encountered when my kid was at school had high principles on the surface but were quick to put the drawbridge up if there was any danger of their offspring having to mix with ‘ the wrong type’ going to private schools was one option buying a little buy to let if it got them a place in a nice school another.
And then selfishly drive their offspring to school every day. Seems about right.

You can go online and search the data yourself FFS. It's not some big mystery.

View attachment 280293

And now answer my question please.
Does it cover all crime and just screening shotting something isn’t research is it. By you logic, because LTNs reduce crime, we should make every road, every area into one. I’m asking why extant contemporaneous research doesn’t extend to areas outside LTNs

Does it cover all crime and just screening shotting something isn’t research is it. By you logic, because LTNs reduce crime, we should make every road, every area into one. I’m asking why extant contemporaneous research doesn’t extend to areas outside LTNs
Instead of firing endless caveats, questions and excuses my way, could you please extend me the courtesy of answering my question:

If all the evidence points to LTNs creating a dramatic reduction in injuries and deaths, and no evidence that those accidents are displaced elsewhere, surely you must now fully support LTNs?

By you logic, because LTNs reduce crime, we should make every road, every area into one. I’m asking why extant contemporaneous research doesn’t extend to areas outside LTNs

I have never stated that LTNs reduce crime. However the data from this study strongly suggests that they dramatically reduce car accidents, injuries and deaths.

Instead of firing endless caveats, questions and excuses my way, could you please extend me the courtesy of answering my question:

If all the evidence points to LTNs creating a dramatic reduction in injuries and deaths, and no evidence that those accidents are displaced elsewhere, surely you must now fully support LTNs?
Yes, inside LTNs. My question was where is the contemporary research as to what happens outside? You do t have any and can’t explain why research doesn’t cover that data set. Of course I support reduction in crime, I’m pretty sure everyone does. I also think that they have had a detrimental impact of disabled people which is why is asking for thorough research on the impacts both inside and outside.

No evidence because the research h hasn’t been done. That’s my point. I’m asking why it doesn’t extend to outside LTNs. We aren’t going to agree on this are we. I’m just asking why this research isn’t/hasn’t been conducted

The one Lambeth justice Twitter feed has had a bit of a makeover and now no longer mentions Sofia specifically
And now explicitly states it’s not the other OL - which feels a bit like they were forced to make that distinction.

What did it say before ‘community run account’ or something which implies it’s no longer a community run account.

All a bit embarrassing when the founders of your campaign publicly disassociate themselves from you in that way, criticise your campaigning language and then report your tweets to twitter as harmful.

Isn't there a Buzz article where they say there was no split a few months ago and it was the same people with different priorities? How things change.

That OL (Democracy Lambeth?) is now an organisation with a constitution. A set of rules, standards and behaviours. I bet they change their name soon.

No evidence because the research h hasn’t been done. That’s my point. I’m asking why it doesn’t extend to outside LTNs. We aren’t going to agree on this are we. I’m just asking why this research isn’t/hasn’t been conducted
Well let's just say - for the sake of argument - that there is zero evidence that the drastic reduction in of injuries and deaths in LTNs has not led to an increase elsewhere.

Upon learning that LTNs were saving members of your own community from death and injury would you then fully support LTNs, and if not, why not?

Yes, inside LTNs. My question was where is the contemporary research as to what happens outside? You do t have any and can’t explain why research doesn’t cover that data set. Of course I support reduction in crime, I’m pretty sure everyone does. I also think that they have had a detrimental impact of disabled people which is why is asking for thorough research on the impacts both inside and outside.
you’ve got it. But you’re claiming, without providing evidence, that it’s invalid because, while looking at 72 LTNs and boundary roads it’s supposedly missed a couple (conspiracy!).

we must therefore assume that no data or research is valid unless it has a 100% population sample. Invalidating every bit of medical research, consultation, opinion poll and election ever.

Well let's just say - for the sake of argument - that there is zero evidence that the drastic reduction in of injuries and deaths in LTNs has not led to an increase elsewhere.

Upon learning that LTNs were saving members of your own community from death and injury would you then fully support LTNs, and if not, why not?
Of course, as long as their implementation is in line with the obligations of the council under the Equalities Act.

And now explicitly states it’s not the other OL - which feels a bit like they were forced to make that distinction.

What did it say before ‘community run account’ or something which implies it’s no longer a community run account.

I see it’s now claiming to be the “official account” of the campaign which kind of contradicts what the onesies had been saying on here. Odd that it’s changed given I thought it was nothing to do with the campaign at all.

Of course, as long as their implementation is in line with the obligations of the council under the Equalities Act.
That's great. So as soon as you've done your research using the link I provided for you, you will switch your support to LTNs if you find no evidence of road injuries doubling outside the LTNs (which I think we both know is highly unlikely).

I ask why you wanted to dismiss the question, I assumed you don’t care. You obviously do care but I’m still not getting an answer
I don't know what you're on about - I haven't dismissed the question. If you are talking about the recent report on change in casualties etc, I posted that report some pages ago, and the report looks at figures inside LTNs as well as on LTN boundary roads and London in general. And it looks at pre and post data for each of those categories.

Do the numbers show a reduction in casualties within LTNs? Yes.
Do they show an increase in casualties on LTN boundary roads? No.

What's the data that's missing?

Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 12.19.30.jpg

That's great. So as soon as you've done your research using the link I provided for you, you will switch your support to LTNs if you find no evidence of road injuries doubling outside the LTNs (which I think we both know is highly unlikely).
Read the bit about legislation I mentioned

I don't know what you're on about - I haven't dismissed the question. If you are talking about the recent report on change in casualties etc, I posted that report some pages ago, and the report looks at figures inside LTNs as well as on LTN boundary roads and London in general. And it looks at pre and post data for each of those categories.

Do the numbers show a reduction in casualties within LTNs? Yes.
Do they show an increase in casualties on LTN boundary roads? No.

What's the data that's missing?

View attachment 280298
Over 50% of boundary roads weren’t included. 75% in some areas. I was just asking at the beginning why this is a common feature of the research into LTNs in general.

Think you have enough now Ed for a buzz article? I’m expecting some supportive comments from the council about how refreshing it is to see the treasurer of the anti LTN campaign now in favour of LTNs, caveats not withstanding

Yes you got that caveat in. And assuming that the council adhere to the Equalities Act you will switch your full support to LTNs, yes?
If they are implemented in line with legislation then that’s fine. That’s what I’ve been asking for since the beginning and it’s all I care about. I’m not going to be massively pro but then I also won’t be anti.

If they are implemented in line with legislation then that’s fine. That’s what I’ve been asking for since the beginning and it’s all I care about. I’m not going to be massively pro but then I also won’t be anti.
Well that's strange because the focus on the one disabled woman only happened long after the campaign had started.

Over 50% of boundary roads weren’t included. 75% in some areas. I was just asking at the beginning why this is a common feature of the research into LTNs in general.
Woah there. So this claim has now expanded again. Can you show what you mean - still seen no evidence that this report misses 50-75% of boundary roads. (Which of course would be in the non LTN areas where casualties haven’t increased anyway)

And it coincided with the time I joined…
So what happens if it turns out she unfortunately has to be inconvenienced*, but this means that a large number of people escape injury and death? Because that seems to be the way you're presenting your argument here.

*perhaps some of the thousands that have been crowdfunded could be used to alleviate any inconvenience she may suffer

So what happens if it turns out she unfortunately has to be inconvenienced*, but this means that a large number of people escape injury and death? Because that seems to be the way you're presenting your argument here.

*perhaps some of the thousands that have been crowdfunded could be used to alleviate any inconvenience she may suffer
This is the whole balancing act that is required under the law. It’s the basis of a court case at the moment.

It's normal in any kind of study like this to take a sample of data rather than to try and record everything. Usually because the latter is impossible. Obviously you have to try and make sure the sample is representative. Are you saying they cherry-picked the locations?

And then selfishly drive their offspring to school every day. Seems about right.

yes, so my point was that these monied types might well be supporters of LTNs because they tick two boxes, environmental awareness and keeping out the riff raff ( not necessarily in that order) This explains why people resent the implementation without consultation. Just to clarify I am not pointing the finger at anyone on this thread. My time bringing up a kid was a real eye opener, I could tell you some cringeworthy examples...one regarding a proto LTN comes to mind....

Back
Top Bottom