Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I said no, I’m not - and struggle to see why you think I would be.

I am concerned that £35k needs to be raised for this and legal aid isn’t available but I don’t really kn the legal process, but obv legal aid has been heavily restricted.

Also concerned that the money is being raised from people who could be very disappointed even if they win.

There should be better ways to find out if councils are acting illegally.
We have some support from the legal aid authority. However, it just so happens that the way Lambeth implemented these and the legal process they used ensured that legal aid was not available to us for the majority of the LTNs implemented.

I am concerned that £35k needs to be raised for this and legal aid isn’t available but I don’t really kn the legal process, but obv legal aid has been heavily restricted.

Also concerned that the money is being raised from people who could be very disappointed even if they win.

At beginning of post you so no.

At end of post you say the opposite.

Your not answering a straight forward question.

That’s your read of it. We have said again and again why we are doing it.

It seems your issue is focused on the motivation for people donating rather than the reason why a disabled woman is having to take the executive to court for discriminating against her. Just seems a strange focus given that a judge has allowed the case to go ahead. I would have thought you’d be more worried about a council possibly acting unlawfully
Let’s be clear here Lambeth can create LTNs perfectly lawfully, what the court case is doing is alleging that they didn’t tick a box in the correct way - therefore the whole thing should be thrown out.

So why are you posting up links to One Lambeth FB posts?

At beginning of post you so no.

At end of post you say the opposite.

Your not answering a straight forward question.
? I haven’t said I’m in favour of tighter restrictions on these cases anywhere and I’m not. If anything I think they should be open to legal aid.

? I haven’t said I’m in favour of tighter restrictions on these cases anywhere and I’m not. If anything I think they should be open to legal aid.

So what is the problem?

In that case One Lambeth should be applauded for helping raise funds for Sophia case.

Let’s be clear here Lambeth can create LTNs perfectly lawfully, what the court case is doing is alleging that they didn’t tick a box in the correct way - therefore the whole thing
Ok. So my equivalent of “didn’t tick a box in the correct way” is that they failed to comply with legislation designed specifically to protect vulnerable people. I always find it interesting when people use the “didn’t tick a box correctly” argument as it shows they know almost nothing about the law, legal process and the obligations on governmental institutions to obey the law. They also tend to be the same people that shout the loudest when that “box they didn’t tick” happens to have an adverse impact on their lives. Do try to remember that, whilst this is a forum, it is the lives of people we are talking about and, due to a disability, their lives are hard enough already without the state acting unlawfully

I am questioning the motives of the donors.Have you read the comments on the fundraiser?

I keep saying to you if you think there is a problem with motives for this case then the answer is to tighten up restrictions in allowing cases like this to proceed.

So we are back to the beginning. If you think the motives are to be questioned are you in favour of raising the hurdle before a case like this can proceed?

I keep saying to you if you think there is a problem with motives for this case then the answer is to tighten up restrictions in allowing cases like this to proceed.

So we are back to the beginning. If you think the motives are to be questioned are you in favour of raising the hurdle before a case like this can proceed?
Questioning their motives doesn’t mean I think it should be made illegal.

Whilst I understand Ed is going on about motives, I think that they should be separated from whether there is a legal case to answer on behalf of the claimant

Questioning their motives doesn’t mean I think it should be made illegal.

I'm not talking about this being made illegal.

If you are questioning motives then logically a way to deal with this is to raise the hurdle over which a case like this needs to jump before proceeding.

Your unwilling to say this.

You want it both ways. To criticise this case and its funding but when asked say the opposite.

Its either a legitimate case to bring against the Council or not. You want to sit on the fence.

I'm not talking about this being made illegal.

If you are questioning motives then logically a way to deal with this is to raise the hurdle over which a case like this needs to jump before proceeding.

Your unwilling to say this.

You want it both ways. To criticise this case and its funding but when asked say the opposite.

Its either a legitimate case to bring against the Council or not. You want to sit on the fence.
No - they’re separate things. Whether there’s a case & how it’s funded. I don’t think there should be restrictions on whether people what to help fund such cases.

Can you answer my question please - have you read the comments on the fundraising page?

No - they’re separate things. Whether there’s a case & how it’s funded. I don’t think there should be restrictions on whether people what to help fund such cases.

Can you answer my question please - have you read the comments on the fundraising page?

So why are you bringing up the funding?

You keep bringing it up so in your mind they aren't separate.

Isn’t a piece of legislation in the new parliamentary term focussed on watering down the grounds for judicial reviews? Stems from the whole prorogation debacle. Cards on the table, I hope you lose but I do think that councils, govt or whatever holding power should do things legally, it protects us all.

Your questioning the legitimacy of a disabled woman bringing a case against Lambeth. I find it a bit off tbf.

Isn’t a piece of legislation in the new parliamentary term focussed on watering down the grounds for judicial reviews? Stems from the whole prorogation debacle. Cards on the table, I hope you lose but I do think that councils, govt or whatever holding power should do things legally, it protects us all.

I know. Given edcraw concerns keep asking if that is what they want.

Whilst I understand Ed is going on about motives, I think that they should be separated from whether there is a legal case to answer on behalf of the claimant

Ed, is your concern solely about the motives of the people donating? If so, can I ask why it matters. Once this goes to court it becomes a matter of law as to whether he council behaved lawfully or not. At that point motives no longer matter and we get the legal outcome that the court decides. In the end, it’s the legal
outcome which should be the most important thing not whether you can see the exact motives of every individual who donated.

But isn't the legal action only asking for the LTNRs to be assessed according to accessiblity and equality for all. Therefore why would you want it to lose. It's about implementing them fairly and not necessarily about taking them away.

I’m really not.

Have you read the comments on the fundraising page? What do you think of the motives of the donors?

You are still trying to undermine the case brought by a disabled lady. You are starting to really annoy me.

This is being looked at. Completely understand your position but I’d say that no of us should hope that one side loses or wins. All we should want (and this goes to you last point) is that the legal process is fair and that the judge make a decision based on the law. The outcome is then the right legal decision

I’m really not.

Have you read the comments on the fundraising page? What do you think of the motives of the donors?
Sometimes opposition comes from distasteful sides. In this case it's hard to reconcile the fairness of what is being asked with some of the group that are asking it. So policies shouldn't be brought in with the proper care and considerations for all because you don't like the person that said so?

Ed, is your concern solely about the motives of the people donating? If so, can I ask why it matters.
As I mentioned before I think many could be left very disappointed even if you win. I know of people that have donated hundreds who I suspect would struggle to afford this.

Some people against these schemes seem to be whipping themselves and others up into a frenzy - the planter vandalism the other weekend, vandalism to cameras & signs, people genuinely calling the council fascists and OneLambeth Justice calling Claire Holland a dictator on twitter.

Tell you what. If you think this is a legitimate case but are concerned about the motives of some of the people donating why don't you donate and encourage other LTN supporters to do so.
Have you read the comments on the fundraising page?

Ok. So my equivalent of “didn’t tick a box in the correct way” is that they failed to comply with legislation designed specifically to protect vulnerable people. I always find it interesting when people use the “didn’t tick a box correctly” argument as it shows they know almost nothing about the law, legal process and the obligations on governmental institutions to obey the law. They also tend to be the same people that shout the loudest when that “box they didn’t tick” happens to have an adverse impact on their lives. Do try to remember that, whilst this is a forum, it is the lives of people we are talking about and, due to a disability, their lives are hard enough already without the state acting unlawfully
Ok. We'll see what the judge says. I did think Lambeth had already done an assessment, if you want them to do a better one then fine but I don't think that's clear from your funding page.

How are we actually supposed to form an opinion as to whether it's legitimate? We don't know the full details of the case that's being brought against Lambeth and we don't know what Lambeth's defence is. At least speaking for myself, I don't know all the technicalities of what the process Lambeth was or is supposed to follow is nor do I know what standards their actions are assessed against.

I think I'll reserve an opinion until after the case has been heard.

Back
Top Bottom