Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I was on the what's app group for the Lambeth Climate change people's assembly. I left as it got taken over with people posting up all day about how terrible LTNs are. It was winding me up.
Yep, I was in there but it was terrible because of anti LTN people. God knows why they need to argue their case in there.

Yep, I was in there but it was terrible because of anti LTN people. God knows why they need to argue their case in there.

I said that the discussion of LTNs should go on elsewhere. That didn't go down well so I left. Got told it was freedom of speech issue. It was getting unpleasant.

Plus I don't have time to wade through lots of what's app posts that are off subject

I'm waiting for Lambeth to put in exemption for Blue Badge holders. Until they do legal action is the only way to push Lambeth to think seriously about doing it.

Judicial reviews are part of the democratic process. They aren't just about making money for lawyers.

Yeah I've been in a couple of local WhatsApp groups where I've either has to leave or things have got nasty over it till someone's managed to shut it down.

I'm waiting for Lambeth to put in exemption for Blue Badge holders. Until they do legal action is the only way to push Lambeth to think seriously about doing it.

Judicial reviews are part of the democratic process. They aren't just about making money for lawyers.
I still don't understand why they haven't done this.

Here's a wonderfully balanced post about LTNs in Brixton

Oops - editor that link has been removed.
I wanted to post an alarming BBC show anout Black Lives Matter - as was referenced in your quote.

This programme - Global Questions - is similar to Question Time, but actally more interesting for the most part due to the lack of tired old hacks from the UK Parliament.

What shocked me though about this show, very well chaired by Zainab Bedawi - was the appearance of Duwayne Brooks OBE.
I wonder whether Duwayne has been having personal struggles.
Duwayne himself had the traumatic experience of being with Stephen \Lawrence when they were attacked and Stephen was killed, Duwayne has ploughed a right-ward path, eventually getting into local politics becoming a Lib Dem councillor in Lewisham, but then defecting to the Tories.
If you saw this programme you would wonder why Duwayne has now come out in great cycnicism of Black Lives Matter - he says they are making money out of the issue but not improving people's lives.
Zainab, not to leave a stone unturned, asked Duwayne whether he thoutgh the police and judicial system in the UK was institutionally racism.
Duwayne replied - yes the Met has been found to be institutionally racism, but I don't beleieve the British courts have the same problem like America.
What would Shaun Bailey have said?

I would support this, and OneLambeth would then have no case - would save everyone involved a huge amount of time, effort, stress and money

Is it really that simple? I don't think the OneLambeth JR would be so narrow - has anyone read it in detail? Also, given their clearly stated aims are for full removal (sorry, "suspension") of the LTNs it's not like the tiny noisy minority is going to go away if the council gives an exemption for blue badge holders. In Wandsworth the One group, immediately the LTNs were removed, switched to attacking the A24 cycleway upgrades (which is mostly bollards alongside a cycle lane that was already there and shouldn't have been driven or parked in anyway)

That Transport for All report is fairly clear there are a lot of benefits for people with some disabilities from LTNs. So allowing one group through in their cars and so increasing traffic levels could dis-benefit another group. Talking about "The Disabled" as if they are a uniform group who all have a mobility disability that requires them to drive everywhere by the shortest route is far too simplistic.

I wonder what both People’s Fronts think of the campaign slogan “All Streets Matter” that’s being used by the anti ltn Dulwich Alliance?

That Transport for All report is fairly clear there are a lot of benefits for people with some disabilities from LTNs. So allowing one group through in their cars and so increasing traffic levels could dis-benefit another group. Talking about "The Disabled" as if they are a uniform group who all have a mobility disability that requires them to drive everywhere by the shortest route is far too simplistic.

Not it wouldn't. It would allow a tiny minority who can't walk or cycle to get around more easily while everyone else still has very quiet streets.

Some Councils do it.

Its limited to one vehicle.

I don't see the problem with doing it.

The problem is it being linked to one vehicle.

Many/most disabled people in London don't have a car, and many with blue badges use a variety of vehicles (carer's cars, taxis, nhs transport, etc.).

The problem is it being linked to one vehicle.

Many/most disabled people in London don't have a car, and many with blue badges use a variety of vehicles (carer's cars, taxis, nhs transport, etc.).

I agree that's a problem. Been hearing people who need to use taxis to get around are paying more as it takes longer to get in and out of LTNs.

Blue badges are issued to a person, not a car, so it's open to people begging/bribing/pressuing people with a blue badge to accompany them as a passenger in the car on the school run or to the shops or whatever to use their badge. Happens already, but could make it more prevalent. Ealings solution of limiting it to one vehicle could work but I wonder how expensive that would be to manage/administrate and what scrutiny there would be around who the vehicle belongs to.
But that would also put Taxicard users at a disadvantage, so assume an equal dispensation would be needed for them.

thebackrow makes a very valid points about accessibility not being a one size fits all issue. Accessible transport doesn't have to mean a car. Lots of people on these boards recently crowdfunded for an electric bike for a much loved local whose mobility had changed.

Thing about the disability issue is that both hard-line factions use it.

It would have helped if Council hadn't imposed LTNs without proper thought or consideration.

Yes the term disability covers a wide range. Sofia feels herself to put at a disadvantage by LTN. In which case she is entitled to take legal route of Judicial Review.

Imo some kind of working towards dealing with locals concerns with LTNs is needed.

Last edited:
Blue badges are issued to a person, not a car, so it's open to people begging/bribing/pressuing people with a blue badge to accompany them as a passenger in the car on the school run or to the shops or whatever to use their badge. Happens already, but could make it more prevalent. Ealings solution of limiting it to one vehicle could work but I wonder how expensive that would be to manage/administrate and what scrutiny there would be around who the vehicle belongs to.
But that would also put Taxicard users at a disadvantage, so assume an equal dispensation would be needed for them.

thebackrow makes a very valid points about accessibility not being a one size fits all issue. Accessible transport doesn't have to mean a car. Lots of people on these boards recently crowdfunded for an electric bike for a much loved local whose mobility had changed.
So blue badge holders shouldn't get access because a minority of people abuse the system. That's like saying people shouldn't get benefits because some people lie to get them.
I think you will find that most blue badge holders have mobility or behavioural or sensory issues that mean vehicle transport is the only way they can go out from an existence that is already pretty isolating. Just because you have a friend who is disabled who can use bike is not representative of the majority of blue badge holders.

most blue badge holders have mobility or behavioural or sensory issues that mean vehicle transport is the only way they can go out
Even if this is true - and I don’t think it is (can you find some figures to back it up?) - the reason is because our cities are dominated by cars. Build better infrastructure and reduce car use by those who don’t need them and the problem goes away.

Even if this is true - and I don’t think it is (can you find some figures to back it up?) - the reason is because our cities are dominated by cars. Build better infrastructure and reduce car use by those who don’t need them and the problem goes away.
I'm sorry but you clearly know nothing about what life is like for a disabled person. How hard it is to get a blue badge? How little accessibility actually exists in public transport. How poor the equipment is available to get around. How hard it is for carers to push a person around. How impossible it is for children/people with sensory and behavioural issues to be out in public.
I live this life and I work in this life and quite frankly your bullshit with authority is uninformed and offensive ableist rubbish.
Are you now going to tell me you have a disabled friend so you know better.

You’ve literally just described our failure of having suitable infrastructure :confused:

Our cities are built around cars. The vast inaccessibility issues so many face is a direct consequence of this. It needs to change. There will always be some for whom a car is the best/only solution. But there are many who can be given more options. Change is not going to be easy, cheap, or quick. Some will fight it every step of the way. But it’s both essential and ultimately inevitable.

(and fwiw I grew up having a blind family member, have volunteered with the Guide Dogs and RNIB, and have recently volunteered with a group providing adapted bikes and hand cycles for those both young and old with various physical disabilities. I’m not entirely ignorant of the issues here...)

You sound ignorant. Right now blue badge holders get a tiny little bit of access that you and others want to restrict further.
Do you know that many people with cognitive disabilities have blue badges because it's hard to keep them safe out and about. So you'd like to put that pressure on to families and carers.
Many carry large amounts of essential equipment like O2, catheters, feeding tubes, pumps etc.
Many people with disabilities live in pain that is exacerbated by traveling and need quick, easy journeys.
Many have multiple trips to hospitals and other appointments weekly.
Many people with disabilities have to use their cars to be changed in or just not go out as there are only a few fully accessible changing places in the country.
Blue badges travel with the person not the car or going out for these groups would be further restricted by availability of one person.
And so much more. But mostly most severely disabled people and their families are disproportionately affected by isolation and exclusion because of the multitude of difficulties there are in going out and you want to deny one tiny bit of access because the world's a shit place where there are too many cars. By all means go after cars, but don't make vulnerable, disenfranchised groups pay the price for your ideal.

You sound ignorant. Right now blue badge holders get a tiny little bit of access that you and others want to restrict further.
Do you know that many people with cognitive disabilities have blue badges because it's hard to keep them safe out and about. So you'd like to put that pressure on to families and carers.
Many carry large amounts of essential equipment like O2, catheters, feeding tubes, pumps etc.
Many people with disabilities live in pain that is exacerbated by traveling and need quick, easy journeys.
Many have multiple trips to hospitals and other appointments weekly.
Many people with disabilities have to use their cars to be changed in or just not go out as there are only a few fully accessible changing places in the country.
Blue badges travel with the person not the car or going out for these groups would be further restricted by availability of one person.
And so much more. But mostly most severely disabled people and their families are disproportionately affected by isolation and exclusion because of the multitude of difficulties there are in going out and you want to deny one tiny bit of access because the world's a shit place where there are too many cars. By all means go after cars, but don't make vulnerable, disenfranchised groups pay the price for your ideal.
I don't think you're reading what I'm actually writing here.

I honestly don't believe anyone here wants that.
I'm sorry but firstly someone posted a reply in favour of restricting blue badges and then someone else wrote a post suggesting vehicles are not necessary for people with disabilities if we change our mindset.
The only right response here is that people with blue badges should be allowed full access to the LTNs.

The only right response here is that people with blue badges should be allowed full access to the LTNs.

This I agree with.

I also think that disabled Londoner's should have free access to modified/accessible bikes & trikes where appropriate/wanted, as well as free access to training and active assistance to enable use where appropriate/wanted.

Back
Top Bottom