Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

The more cynical part of me wonders about the Shakespeare Road no entry. The recycling centre is just past that and there’s constant skip lorries in and out. However they want to sell the site and build another massive load of flats. Be a lot easier to argue their case if they can’t easily operate their lorries in the future. Probably just a coincidence

So no the Council isn't saying this has all been consulted and approved. Rightly so imo.

Yes, but that wasn't what I was saying. The transport strategy and implementation plans have been approved (and were consulted on), and they included the Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood of which this is part.

The actual Railton Neighbourhood scheme is going in as temporary measures (as per central Govt instruction) but then needs a consultation before it can be made permanent.

Last edited:
Yes, but that wasn't what I was saying. The transport strategy and implementation plans have been approved (and were consulted on), and they included the Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood of which this is part.

The actual Railton Neighbourhood scheme is going in as temporary measures (as per central Govt instruction) but then needs a consultation before it can be made permanent.

No the liveable neighborhood scheme consultation has not finished yet.

Evelyn Grace School will see 100% increase of traffic from Norris Skips and Network Rail Depot
Apparently the "official route" for the traffic from those is north down Shakespeare anyway and any increase will be more than offset by the reduction in other traffic.

Apparently the "official route" for the traffic from those is north down Shakespeare anyway and any increase will be more than offset by the reduction in other traffic.
Large vehicles from Network Rail depot and Norris Skips will increase 100% north Shakespeare Road, and a barrier will be in place between north Shakespeare and Poet's Corner, thus dividing the community.

a barrier will be in place between north Shakespeare and Poet's Corner, thus dividing the community.
How will it divide the community? Are you saying it will prevent people who live in the poets corner area driving to see their friends living on the north part of Shakespeare Road, or something like that?

Large vehicles from Network Rail depot and Norris Skips will increase 100% north Shakespeare Road, and a barrier will be in place between north Shakespeare and Poet's Corner, thus dividing the community.
OK, so by 100% you mean large traffic will double. So you think 50% of traffic at the moment heads in the other direction from those depots. Do you have any evidence for that because it's meant to be a small minority (because it's not the route they're meant to use).

How is a community divided when there is still access on foot or by bike? (Almost) no-one should be driving trips from Shakespeare Road area to Herne Hill - even if they are unable to walk is a 2 tonne 5 seater car built for driving on motorways really the appropriate form of transport?

OK, so by 100% you mean large traffic will double. So you think 50% of traffic at the moment heads in the other direction from those depots. Do you have any evidence for that because it's meant to be a small minority (because it's not the route they're meant to use).

How is a community divided when there is still access on foot or by bike? (Almost) no-one should be driving trips from Shakespeare Road area to Herne Hill - even if they are unable to walk is a 2 tonne 5 seater car built for driving on motorways really the appropriate form of transport?
Yes, 50-50 with Norris skip wagons and Network Rail., however the articulated lorries have to come down from Coldharbour due to the railway bridge. I cycle everywhere but it's the symbolism of a physical barrier; not forgetting that, from my understanding, the Poet's residents can come and go as they please in their cars (would need to confirm as Lambeth have provided such scant information). Also, don't forget the increase of u-turning at the railway bridge by delivery vans, cabs etc. I work next to a similar road arrangement at Kennington and all day, every day 3-point turns outside the same row of houses. I feel for those residents, I really do.

Forgot to mention: I agree completely with you on why drive around Herne Hill in a Chelsea Tractor. I'll stick with my bike.

from my understanding, the Poet's residents can come and go as they please in their cars.
Also, don't forget the increase of u-turning at the railway bridge by delivery vans, cabs etc.
  • all residents can come and go as they please, and all properties are still accessible by car. It's just some trips are now slightly longer, but hopefully a lot of short trips that are currently driven (40% of trips by car in London are under 2 miles) won't be.
  • I'll take a small number of u-turning vans over a lot of speeding through traffic any day thanks.

• I'll take a small number of u-turning vans over a lot of speeding through traffic any day thanks.

100% this. I hardly ever cycle this road nowadays but I used to use it a lot and it was terrible for speeding and narrow overtakes by cars.

So can the residents on the N part of Shakespeare Rd.
Apparently not from the info we've been given. ANPR will identify Poet's drivers who can access the "Bubble" in and out but anyone else will be fined. I guess for Poet's it'll be a bit like living inside a mini-congestion charge zone. If you live within the Central London congestion zone you only pay a fraction of the fee, everyone else full charge. If Lambeth could provide some info perhaps we would know where we are.

• all residents can come and go as they please, and all properties are still accessible by car. It's just some trips are now slightly longer, but hopefully a lot of short trips that are currently driven (40% of trips by car in London are under 2 miles) won't be.
We don't know that until Lambeth provide more info. We were told at the Zoom meeting that only residents within Poet's can come and go as they please.

Apparently not from the info we've been given. ANPR will identify Poet's drivers who can access the "Bubble" in and out but anyone else will be fined. I guess for Poet's it'll be a bit like living inside a mini-congestion charge zone. If you live within the Central London congestion zone you only pay a fraction of the fee, everyone else full charge. If Lambeth could provide some info perhaps we would know where we are.
What I meant was that the Poets corner residents can get to and from their houses by car, and so can N Shakespeare residents get to and from their houses by car.

If a N shakespeare resident wants to drive to the poets corner area, they have to go a long way around, and the same is true vice versa.

I am yet to fully understand how the APNR points work, but it looks like anyone can drive into and out of the poets corner area as long as they don't pass through those APNR points.

That's definitely incorrect and not what I heard from that meeting. The ANPR cameras allow buses and bin lorries through - nothing else.

Indeed. We'll have to see. Just a shame Lambeth haven't involved residents.
Other than the Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood engagement thats been going on since last year?

That's definitely incorrect and not what I heard from that meeting. The ANPR cameras allow buses and bin lorries through - nothing else.

Other than the Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood engagement thats been going on since last year?
A poorly composed leaflet with a cartoon map through the door last Thursday isn't "engagement". None of the Shakepeare Road (North) residents I've spoken to knew until then. Lambeth should have been out on the streets informing people, asking opinions/concerns, visiting local catchment area schools etc. Can we assume this "engagement project" was online? Not everyone has access to internet, social media etc, especially the elderly and vunerable members of our community.

Well, they never made it down the north end! We are arguing for safer streets with lowered pollution just like everyone else - but unfortunately we have not been included.

If they involved residents it wouldn’t happen.

How right you are.

I wouldn't bet on that, borough-wide well under half off Lambeth households have "access" to a car let alone use one on a regular basis and car ownership is hugely skewed to the southern suburban ends of the borough; in places like Poets Corner car ownership is very low and cars are unpopular.

Also, one of our neighbours has just sent me this after trawling though Lambeth website for most of this morning:

Hi, the only information that seems to be specific to our road is on page 7 under the heading “Railton Road”. It states “Statutory consultation and engagement 25.05.20 – 8.06.20” and “Implementation – 8.06.20 – 15.06.20”. [it is unclear in what way exactly the consultation and engagement took place].

The Claire Holland letter arrived last week dated 4 June 2020 and makes no mention of consultation and engagement. Why send it before consultation period ended? Bizarre.

Also, one of our neighbours has just sent me this after trawling though Lambeth website for most of this morning:

Hi, the only information that seems to be specific to our road is on page 7 under the heading “Railton Road”. It states “Statutory consultation and engagement 25.05.20 – 8.06.20” and “Implementation – 8.06.20 – 15.06.20”. [it is unclear in what way exactly the consultation and engagement took place].

The Claire Holland letter arrived last week dated 4 June 2020 and makes no mention of consultation and engagement. Why send it before consultation period ended? Bizarre.
Like when they extended consultation for using the park as an event space. It was extended retrospectively and everyone got a letter on the last day of the extension. Lambeth are a bad joke. Even though I support the general principle of the original scheme they have managed to make me think less of them.

Back
Top Bottom