Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Given that Farage has said the Reform UK Party is going to target councils who implement better provision for pedestrians and people who cycle, there’s some relevance.

Talk Radio Cristo and Daily Telegraph covered the tweets issue. As far as I know Farage hasn't said anything on the matter.

So unless you can point to where Farage has said something Ive missed its not relevant.

Last edited:
Some of those anti-LTN lot are seriously unhinged. This one has decided that everyone involved in the London Cycling Campaign is racist, and Brixton Buzz is racist too for not knowing about some two-year old tweets posted by Simon Still - someone we’d never even heard of until very recently.

I did read all the comments. TBF after that person posted up that comment at end of Brixton Buzz article several people came on to say it was out order to have a go the Buzz.

Brixton Buzz has been even handed on the LTN controversy and given views of both sides fairly imo. Notice the Blog has yet to say anything on the tweets.

When the Loughborough Junction road closures happened local people who opposed them were able to put their grievances to the local Labour Cllr - Rachel. Who took them up.

This time around, whatever individual Labour Cllrs might feel, they aren't going to take this up. After what happened to Cllr Rachel.

Looking at the comments under the Brixton Buzz article and what Ive seen elsewhere I don't think lumping together all those in Lambeth who oppose LTNs or question aspects of them as in bed with Farage/ racist Cabbies etc etc is at all helpful.

I would have thought the "tweets" issue would have meant a pause for thought at stereotyping all those who oppose LTNs.

was chatting to work mate today who drives a van for a living in London. He is an immigrant from African country. He is against LTNs. He is not some kind of conspiracy nut or Farage supporter. Far from it. A he said he drives to make a living and feed his kids. Not because he wants to.

I really object to continual simplisitic anti LTN = right wing/ racist.

When the Loughborough Junction road closures happened local people who opposed them were able to put their grievances to the local Labour Cllr - Rachel. Who took them up.

This time around, whatever individual Labour Cllrs might feel, they aren't going to take this up. After what happened to Cllr Rachel.

Looking at the comments under the Brixton Buzz article and what Ive seen elsewhere I don't think lumping together all those in Lambeth who oppose LTNs or question aspects of them as in bed with Farage/ racist Cabbies etc etc is at all helpful.

I would have thought the "tweets" issue would have meant a pause for thought at stereotyping all those who oppose LTNs.

was chatting to work mate today who drives a van for a living in London. He is an immigrant from African country. He is against LTNs. He is not some kind of conspiracy nut or Farage supporter. Far from it. A he said he drives to make a living and feed his kids. Not because he wants to.

I really object to continual simplisitic anti LTN = right wing/ racist.
I agree, you shouldn't lump everyone together. Different people may be opposed for different or even contradictory reasons.
However it's perfectly legitimate to point out strands of objection that are based on certain ideological grounds. On either side of the argument.
But - it's not legitimate to extrapolate from this isolated twitter incident that significant portions of the support for LTNs are founded on or result from racial prejudice. Or do you think they are?

I agree, you shouldn't lump everyone together. Different people may be opposed for different or even contradictory reasons.
However it's perfectly legitimate to point out strands of objection that are based on certain ideological grounds. On either side of the argument.
But - it's not legitimate to extrapolate from this isolated twitter incident that significant portions of the support for LTNs are founded on or result from racial prejudice. Or do you think they are?

Well you seem to think that anti LTN people are right wing supporters.

You take great relish in putting up stuff about the right wing candidate.

So dont come all not lump everyone together at me thankyou.

Last edited:
Okay, I was being flippant but trying to make the point that I don’t think The Telegraph or Cristo were reporting on those racist tweets out of any genuine concern but rather to further their anti LTN views. The attached pretty much shows Cristo really doesn’t care anyone apart from himself tbh.

I suspect no one else nationally has picked it up as it doesn’t have a reflection on the schemes and he was a fairly minor employee of the LCC. If it was their chairman for example than it would be news.

There are of course genuine concerns around LTNs but most against them don’t seem to be open to an evidence in favour of them - I suspect this is because they don’t agree with the basic aim to reduce car usage & dependency.

Attachments

• 5B16766E-219D-4989-B955-6A84A987225D.jpeg
    5B16766E-219D-4989-B955-6A84A987225D.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 14
Well you seem to think that anti LTN people are right wing supporters.

You take great relish in putting up stuff about the Tory candidate.

So dont come all not lump everyone together at me thankyou.
The Tory councillor and his position and the reasons for his position are absolutely relevant to the wider debate. Highlighting this is not lumping anyone together.

Another thing.

Im white and lived in Brixton for ages.

Reading reaction from Black Brixton online I can see why some of them do " extrapolate". They have grown up in country where direct and indirect racism are still prelevant. I as white person don't experience this day to day. I notice for some is the question is what Simon Still said on twitter something others who support LTNs hold, but are more sensible and do not air publicly , but also think at some level when pushed.

The twitter posts were not outright racist they were racial stereotyping. I don't like going on about individuals here. This kind of stereotyping is all to common. So I can see why some Lambeth resident "extrapolate"

Last edited:
Another thing.

Im white and lived in Brixton for ages.

Reading reaction from Black Brixton online I can see why some of them do " extrapolate". They have grown up in country where direct and indirect racism are still prelevant. I as white person don't experience this day to day. I notice for some is the question is what Simon Still said on twitter something others who support LTNs hold, but are more sensible and do not air publicly ,also think at some level when pushed.

The twitter posts were not outright racist they were racial stereotyping. I don't like going on about individuals here. This kind of stereotyping is all to common. So I can see why some Lambeth resident "extrapolate"
So can I and I don't blame them. However, what does it mean for the LTN debate?

think this gentleman has been ruled out of running for mayor.
Why? He is an American of course but so is Boris Johnson technically.
His publicity looks like a de-politicised RealDonaldTrump - so I;m happy to do without him.
But has he been disqualified by the returning officer, or what?

The council's released more data on the Railton LTN - highlights attached showing a decrease of traffic on boundary roads.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 5
This is the map that most people will probably be interested in. Monitoring sites marked, with + or - changes in no. of cars

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 11.55.11.jpg

The council's released more data on the Railton LTN - highlights attached showing a decrease of traffic on boundary roads.

I've had a stab at putting it all together onto one page

I can’t work out what’s going on on Rattray Rd. Are southbound cars using that cut through to get to Dulwich Rd while avoid Effra Rd/Morval Rd? If so, seems unconnected with the LTN (although maybe they used Railton Rd before).

As far as I can see, it has to be inferred that the count along the Ritzy<>Dogstar section of CHL must also apply to the Dogstar<>Gresham Rd section, because what would be an explanation for the Dogstar<>Gresham Rd section being significantly busier? That could only result from traffic that's coming from the east, and then turning left up Somerleyton Rd, or am I missing something?

It would be plausible that there could be a different count on the section between Shakespeare Rd<>Gresham Rd, because that could be a traffic flow using Gresham Rd instead of going through central Brixton. But the count on the section of CHL just to the east of Shakespeare Rd is down so if there were an increase on the Shakespeare<>Gresham Rd section, that would have to result in extra traffic coming off Shakespeare Rd - but we know that's not the case.

I can’t work out what’s going on on Rattray Rd. Are southbound cars using that cut through to get to Dulwich Rd while avoid Effra Rd/Morval Rd? If so, seems unconnected with the LTN (although maybe they used Railton Rd before).
Yeah, I don't really understand that either.

I wish they'd include the main drag of Coldharbour Lane in their stats though. Seems strange that it's omitted when it's clearly being affected by the LTNs.

Agrees, but I think they are using sites that already had monitoring carried out on so they can compare and presumably that's the site that's been monitored before.

Okay, I was being flippant but trying to make the point that I don’t think The Telegraph or Cristo were reporting on those racist tweets out of any genuine concern but rather to further their anti LTN views. The attached pretty much shows Cristo really doesn’t care anyone apart from himself tbh.

I suspect no one else nationally has picked it up as it doesn’t have a reflection on the schemes and he was a fairly minor employee of the LCC. If it was their chairman for example than it would be news.

There are of course genuine concerns around LTNs but most against them don’t seem to be open to an evidence in favour of them - I suspect this is because they don’t agree with the basic aim to reduce car usage & dependency.

So you search through Cristo tweets to find something right wing.

You do realise the quick implementation of LTNs is due to central Government funding? That Grant Shapps is the relevant minister who encouraged Councils in London to do this?

I looked at Grant Shapps voting record. Its here;

Voting record - Grant Shapps MP, Welwyn Hatfield

Looking through it he comes across as fairly typical Tory. Whether that automatically means he does not care about anyone else I will let you judge.

Implementation of LTNs is not right left issue. Some Tories ( this government) have been supporting them some on the ground dont ( Cllr Briggs).

In my area those in LJ who were against road closures were mainly working class Labour voters.

This continual smearing of anti LTN as purely right wing is inaccurate.

I wish they'd include the main drag of Coldharbour Lane in their stats though. Seems strange that it's omitted when it's clearly being affected by the LTNs.

Saw this on Cllr Holland twitter:

I have not had time to try and see where this is in this is in the report. Says Brixton end traffic has gone up 10% and what they call LJ it has gone down. Which I dont understand

Does say here lights will be changed on CHL so they stay green for longer. Which shows Council regard CHL as main road to take more traffic that is displaced.

So you search through Cristo tweets to find something right wing.

You do realise the quick implementation of LTNs is due to central Government funding? That Grant Shapps is the relevant minister who encouraged Councils in London to do this?

I looked at Grant Shapps voting record. Its here;

Voting record - Grant Shapps MP, Welwyn Hatfield

Looking through it he comes across as fairly typical Tory. Whether that automatically means he does not care about anyone else I will let you judge.

Implementation of LTNs is not right left issue. Some Tories ( this government) have been supporting them some on the ground dont ( Cllr Briggs).

In my area those in LJ who were against road closures were mainly working class Labour voters.

This continual smearing of anti LTN as purely right wing is inaccurate.
Come on - I know who Grant Shapps is. I didn’t search Cristo’s tweets he’d just posted this and I thought it apt.

LTNs were Lambeth Labour policy before central government.

I was not trying to smear but pointing out it isn’t that surprising that the racist tweets were only picked up nationally by those with an agenda.

LTNs are meant to be a progressive policy and today’s data shows they are reducing traffic overall which is the aim. Hopefully this will reassure those genuinely concerned about LTNs increasing traffic on boundary roads.

Last edited:
Come on - I know who Grant Shapps is. I didn’t search Cristo’s tweets he’d just posted this and I thought it apt.

LTNs were Lambeth Labour policy before central government.

I was not trying to smear but pointing out it isn’t that surprising that the racist tweets were only picked up nationally by those with an agenda.

LTNs are meant to be a progressive policy and today’s data shows they are reducing traffic overall which is the aim. Hopefully this will reassure those genuinely concerned about LTNs increasing traffic on boundary roads.

I dont see how it was apt as when someone with the politics of Shapps has been supporting them.

Lambeth promised that full consultation would have taken place before any LTNs were put in place. This never happened. Lambeth used pandemic and saying it the government making them put these LTNs. Supposed to be emergency measures.

Back
Top Bottom