Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Good old U.K tapas places. Among the biggest rip off eateries going, perhaps the idea which spawned all the bastard child 'small plates' restaurants.

A little plate of 4 croquettes- £6. Some slices of chorizo- £7. Any kind of feed approaching a full meal- £20 at least.

The type of things that in Spain quite a lot of bars give you for free when you buy a few bottles of 3 euro beers.
While I agree with your sentiment, I doubt you’d get this lot free for a couple of €3 beers.

Attachments

• 9ED3D46A-0105-4BDB-A6EA-AC47E13508D2.jpeg
    9ED3D46A-0105-4BDB-A6EA-AC47E13508D2.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 17
Moving south, The Laundry - Brixton’s neighbourhood bistro and wine shop - will launch its terrace on Saturday 4th July.

The south-facing terrace comes complete with a new all-day menu of grazing and sharing dishes for al fresco dining, and a unique wine list tailored by The Laundry's founder Melanie Brown, composed of the very best from old and new world regions, and - notably for the terrace - lots of fresh summer whites and rosés.
"Grazing," you yuppie fucking pretentious twats.

I was using Clarkshaws taproom in LJ until the pandemic.

Was opening it would re open. Looks like it won't be for now.

They have been doing well during lockdown selling online. Free local delivery.

I was using Clarkshaws taproom in LJ until the pandemic.

Was opening it would re open. Looks like it won't be for now.

They have been doing well during lockdown selling online. Free local delivery.

Yeah, I had a chat to them recently when they delivered - the taproom is too small to socially distance effectively.

Seven (cocktail bar in the market next to Franca manca) has closed.
Rent went upto 52K a year plus landlords wanted a percentage of their takings.

I dont like cocktails or cocktail bars but i went here once for whatever reason and it wasnt too bad. Seemed to be a friendly European bunch running things.

How nice of Hondo to not only put their rent up but want to siphon off some of their actual takings, which they would have worked hard for!

I dont like cocktails or cocktail bars but i went here once for whatever reason and it wasnt too bad. Seemed to be a friendly European bunch running things.

How nice of Hondo to not only put their rent up but want to siphon off some of their actual takings, which they would have worked hard for!

shame, the scotch bonnet Bloody Mary was good

I've dropped them a line asking for more info. It would be outrageous if Hondo were skimming of some of their profits.

This sounds like what's known as a 'turnover lease'. Not uncommon in public spaces like museums, where the catering operator pays less rent when visitation is low and they have fewer customers. It's based on yielding a slice of the gross, not the profits.

This sounds like what's known as a 'turnover lease'. Not uncommon in public spaces like museums, where the catering operator pays less rent when visitation is low and they have fewer customers. It's based on yielding a slice of the gross, not the profits.

Used to be really common in the pub trade as well. Mitchell’s & Butler did them a lot.

Seven (cocktail bar in the market next to Franca manca) has closed.
Rent went upto 52K a year plus landlords wanted a percentage of their takings.

thats fucked, always was good place for a good cocktail, and reasonably priced considering the quality. they'd been there for at least 9 years right?

Any word on the Effra Hall Tavern/Albert opening again?
Effra Hall Tavern opened last Saturday (see pic)

Super Saturday night in Brixton - a look around the pubs as they reopened on Sat 4th July 2020

No prospect of the Effra Social or Albert reopening any time soon as far as I can see.

Effra Hall Tavern opened last Saturday (see pic)

Super Saturday night in Brixton - a look around the pubs as they reopened on Sat 4th July 2020

No prospect of the Effra Social or Albert reopening any time soon as far as I can see.
I think I saw a tweet that suggests Effra Social will open on the 16th.

I think I saw a tweet that suggests Effra Social will open on the 16th.
I haven't seen that - only a tweet from Antic saying '7 more pubs' will be reopening.

The Effra has got plenty of space though so they should manage.

Antic's crowdfunding campaign didn't go so well:

I haven't seen that - only a tweet from Antic saying '7 more pubs' will be reopening.

The Effra has got plenty of space though so they should manage.

Antic's crowdfunding campaign didn't go so well:
They were one of the 7 pubs tagged in it hence my assumption.

Back
Top Bottom